Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > IS Models > IS - Second Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

humming noise that increases w/ speed

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-11, 07:00 PM   #1
CCJ22
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (26)
 
CCJ22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: 66.176.135.6
Posts: 2,626
Default humming noise that increases w/ speed

I believe the noise comes from the front of my car. 2006 IS250
I would compare it to a flat tire sound but a bit more quiet. The speed of the noise increases with the speed of the car. There is no vibration associated with the noise.

Any ideas?

**Update**
I've checked all lugs are torqued correctly.
I've removed my foot from accelerator and still hear the noise even when coasting.
If I remove my hands from steering wheel the car only veers to the right side of lane by a degree so I know my alignment is good.
If I brake hard I have no vibration or any more noise.
I only hear it when the radio is off or below volume level 3. (No I don't want to drive with the radio on all the time)

I'm beginning to think the front tires need replacing or perhaps a balance
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!

Last edited by CCJ22; 05-02-11 at 08:56 AM..
CCJ22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-11, 07:59 PM   #2
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (54)
 
projectdna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: California
Posts: 7,197
Default

my guess is tires.

certain tire brands/models create more road noise than others.

might want to check your tires to make sure they are properly inflated and if there are any signs of abnormal wear.
__________________
2010 USE20.077
2006 GSE21.1G1 (04.20.06 - 10.30.12)
TLN security/TLN #i

your interpretation is not my problem / illegitimus non carborundum.
projectdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-11, 08:04 PM   #3
CCJ22
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (26)
 
CCJ22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: 66.176.135.6
Posts: 2,626
Default

Dually noted.
I checked to make sure that all the lugs were seated correctly and tq'ed to spec.
I also attempted to jiggle the wheels (to see if it was a wheel hub was going out) but that checked out too.
Thanks for input.
CCJ22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-11, 10:39 PM   #4
cloo7
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
cloo7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: CA
Posts: 355
Default

is this the same issue as the thread below?

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-s...-40-45mph.html
cloo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-11, 11:00 PM   #5
CCJ22
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (26)
 
CCJ22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: 66.176.135.6
Posts: 2,626
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloo7 View Post
is this the same issue as the thread below?

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-s...-40-45mph.html
I wish. Mine happens from 1mph till however fast I decide 2go
CCJ22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-11, 12:13 AM   #6
Sango
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (10)
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC / Seattle, WA
Posts: 3,199
Default

AWD or RWD?

If it's AWD, maybe what you're hearing is the transfer case that is near the the driver's right foot. That sound would be audible throughout the front dash area. Nothing could be done about that, if this is what you are referring to.
Sango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-11, 04:59 AM   #7
bucd
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Ohio
Posts: 27
Default

How long have this sound been there? Any new parts/replacement recently?

Also, i know there's no vibration when you accelerate, but if you apply brakes firmly from about 45mph or so, does it vibrate? if so, pedal? steering wheel? or both? And at that same time, does it pull to right or left?

If it's vibrating when you brake in pedal and steering wheel, most likely warped front rotors. If it's vibrating slightly just on the pedal, then it may be rear rotors, but i'm doubting that if you are hearing sound from the front. If it pulls, they obviously need alignment and possibly tires depending on how old they are, if it's wearing unevenly.

I hate these small noises that's hard to figure out. I'm dealing with one myself.

-D
__________________
2006 MRM IS250 AWD
bucd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-11, 07:30 AM   #8
hotwheels1
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ireland
Posts: 23
Default

I have a similar sound to yours. It first appeared around christmas and 4 - 5 days later after changing tires I thought it would dissapear but it was still there. Since then, I have changed front brake pads (the rear still have a lot material left). I also changed both front wheels bearing hubs but the sound is still there.

Next on my list is replacing the rear diff. oil and new front rotors... I'm going to change them this coming weekend so will let you know if the sound has gone away.

Rgds

George
hotwheels1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-11, 08:52 AM   #9
CCJ22
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (26)
 
CCJ22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: 66.176.135.6
Posts: 2,626
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sango View Post
AWD or RWD?

If it's AWD, maybe what you're hearing is the transfer case that is near the the driver's right foot. That sound would be audible throughout the front dash area. Nothing could be done about that, if this is what you are referring to.
It's a RWD I'll update my first post accordingly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucd View Post
How long have this sound been there? Any new parts/replacement recently?

Also, i know there's no vibration when you accelerate, but if you apply brakes firmly from about 45mph or so, does it vibrate? if so, pedal? steering wheel? or both? And at that same time, does it pull to right or left?

If it's vibrating when you brake in pedal and steering wheel, most likely warped front rotors. If it's vibrating slightly just on the pedal, then it may be rear rotors, but i'm doubting that if you are hearing sound from the front. If it pulls, they obviously need alignment and possibly tires depending on how old they are, if it's wearing unevenly.

I hate these small noises that's hard to figure out. I'm dealing with one myself.

-D
I'm beginning to lean more and more on the tires being old and in need of replacing. I checked what you mentioned above just now and the car is straight as an arrow. Even with hands off the steering wheel it only slightly goes towards the right of the lane by 1 degree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwheels1 View Post
I have a similar sound to yours. It first appeared around christmas and 4 - 5 days later after changing tires I thought it would dissapear but it was still there. Since then, I have changed front brake pads (the rear still have a lot material left). I also changed both front wheels bearing hubs but the sound is still there.

Next on my list is replacing the rear diff. oil and new front rotors... I'm going to change them this coming weekend so will let you know if the sound has gone away.

Rgds

George
Thanks George for keeping us updated.
CCJ22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-11, 04:25 PM   #10
bucd
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Ohio
Posts: 27
Default

ok....i think next move is this. if you think it's front tires, i would swap out the rear with front and see if sound is still there. (assuming hte tires on back are good of course).

hopefully you can figure it out, mine is driving me nuts.

-D
__________________
2006 MRM IS250 AWD
bucd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-11, 06:00 PM   #11
chikoo
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (0)
 
chikoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: TX
Posts: 2,455
Default

the usual suspects, based upon my experience over the years

1. Tires. Which tires are you running?

2. Wheel bearing. If you ever hit a pavement hard or a pothole, the wheel bearing can make this sort of noise.
__________________

2008 IS250 - Obsidian Black with Black leather.
Premium Pkg, Nav system, P225/40YR18 front & P255/40YR18 rear tires, Rear Lip Spoiler, F-sport Shocks.
chikoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-11, 06:32 PM   #12
nixx621
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
nixx621's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: CA
Posts: 332
Default

Quote:
I'm beginning to think the front tires need replacing or perhaps a balance
Bingo.

10 char
__________________
'08 IS350

nixx621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-11, 06:47 PM   #13
CCJ22
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (26)
 
CCJ22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: 66.176.135.6
Posts: 2,626
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucd View Post
ok....i think next move is this. if you think it's front tires, i would swap out the rear with front and see if sound is still there. (assuming hte tires on back are good of course).

hopefully you can figure it out, mine is driving me nuts.

-D
Damn, great idea. It's the little things like that I wouldn't have thought about. This weekend I'm going to switch em.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikoo View Post
the usual suspects, based upon my experience over the years

1. Tires. Which tires are you running?

2. Wheel bearing. If you ever hit a pavement hard or a pothole, the wheel bearing can make this sort of noise.
I thought bearing too but I've lifted the car and put 1 hand at 12 oclock and other hand at 6 and attempted to shake then at 3 and 9 and tried that way and it's solid. SO it's not bearings but good idea
Quote:
Originally Posted by nixx621 View Post
Bingo.

10 char
Yeap, that's the next thing to do is replace tires.
CCJ22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-11, 07:30 PM   #14
outbid81
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: WI
Posts: 36
Default

While driving, veer left to right (safely) in your lane. If the pitch changes, a wheel bearing is the culprit. A bearing can make noise even if there is no free-play in the wheel.
outbid81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-11, 08:03 PM   #15
CCJ22
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (26)
 
CCJ22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: 66.176.135.6
Posts: 2,626
Default

To update everyone it was in deed the tires.
CCJ22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-11, 08:03 PM
 
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
car, hand, hear, humming, increase, increases, is350, letting, lexus, noise, radio, sound, speed, steering, tires, veer, wheel

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:59 PM.

Join ClubLexus
Advertising


Copyright © 2000-2008 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy | Disclaimer | Terms of Use | JOBS


Get all contact info