IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Humming sound at ~40-45mph

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-11, 05:16 PM
Devorkion
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bucd
ok...i was worried because i've had these tires before and never had this same type of hum. the tires on there before did the same thing, that's why i got new tires, thinking it would get rid of the hum.

guess just have to deal with it if it's nothing wrong.

thanks all,

-D
Actually, I found a fix.

There is a small round **** on the bottom left side of your center console, push it.

Then turn it all the way to the right, should get rid of that hum! LoL!
Old 04-28-11, 05:43 PM
bucd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Devorkion
Actually, I found a fix.

There is a small round **** on the bottom left side of your center console, push it.

Then turn it all the way to the right, should get rid of that hum! LoL!
LOL....that's the 3rd person that's suggested that fix! you bet i will do it from now on as long as i know it's not mechanical issues.

funny thing, it's raining out right now, just took the car out and in wet condition the hum is gone, so definitely the tires. (i've only had the car since friday) so haven't had much drive time.

thanks again,

-D
Old 04-28-11, 05:57 PM
Individual
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's good that you found out it was the tires. The only other thing I would recommend, which probably would've been difficult, was to swap wheels/with stock tires from another AWD owner and drive to verify if the noise is gone. That's how the Lexus Service Department would do it, but they would charge. But sounds like you confirmed it already.
Old 04-30-11, 11:27 AM
Devorkion
Driver

Originally Posted by bucd
LOL....that's the 3rd person that's suggested that fix! you bet i will do it from now on as long as i know it's not mechanical issues.

funny thing, it's raining out right now, just took the car out and in wet condition the hum is gone, so definitely the tires. (i've only had the car since friday) so haven't had much drive time.

thanks again,

-D
Dude, When I first got my car this past January, I was a wreck.

"What is this sound? What is that sound? "

Made myself crazy.

Had to accept that it is a car, it will have random noises, ie. Wind, tires, creaks.

Plus, it is a sports sedan, made to feel all of the road feedback.

Now if it were an LS460, it would be a different story.
Old 05-01-11, 01:57 PM
BigA86
Driver School Candidate

Default noise

just because a wheel bearing doesnt have play doesnt mean its not bad...thats prob ur issue..95% of the time thats what it is,especially because u replace ur tires already and thats another possiblity. take this from a certified toyota tech now for 7 years!
Old 05-01-11, 04:53 PM
Devorkion
Driver

Originally Posted by BigA86
just because a wheel bearing doesnt have play doesnt mean its not bad...thats prob ur issue..95% of the time thats what it is,especially because u replace ur tires already and thats another possiblity. take this from a certified toyota tech now for 7 years!
I had the same problem.

Friend who is a Lexus/Toyota Master Tecnician said it was NOT the wheel bearing.

He said it would take a hell of a lot of wear/damage to ruin a wheel bearing.

Unless your car was submerged is H2O, I bet $100 it is not your wheel bearing and is your tires.

Plus, if you didnt have the noise before, until you got your new tires, It would be highlu unlikely that your wheel bearing decided to crap out on the Tire Shop's lift .

No disrespect, but c'mon.
Old 05-01-11, 05:31 PM
bucd
Driver School Candidate

I had the same problem.

Friend who is a Lexus/Toyota Master Tecnician said it was NOT the wheel bearing.

Unless your car was submerged is H2O, I bet $100 it is not your wheel bearing and is your tires.

Plus, if you didnt have the noise before, until you got your new tires, It would be highlu unlikely that your wheel bearing decided to crap out on the Tire Shop's lift .

HAHA...well actually the sound was there before i put on new tires.

I got the car last friday. I know it has slight vibration when braking, so i was going to do front rotors/pad, get new tires and alignment and thinking that would be all i needed. vibration is gone and most of the sound is gone, but that hum is there and if it's tires, i've had some really bad tires in the past and they didnt' sound like this. These are suppose to be pretty quiet from all the reviews i've seen on other forums. So yeah, i don't know if rear warped rotos can cause this same noise, i would imagine it would be more of metal noise, but i don't know.

It's annoying as sometimes it's louder then others. So i think i still have to investigate this.

-D
Old 05-01-11, 05:56 PM
cloo7
Pole Position

i think I have the same "humming noise" you are talking about. i only hear the sound when my foot is not on the acceleration pedal @ 40-45 mph. I think it is "normal", but you can certainly look into it... i still have oem everything.
Old 05-03-11, 07:50 PM
outbid81
Driver School Candidate

I had the same problem.

Wisconsin winters are similar to Ohio winters, a little road salt and moisture creeps past the bearing seal and good night bearing. Find a dealer that knows how to use a tool called a "chassis ear". It's a couple of wired leads placed wherever the tech suspects the noise is coming from, which are connected to a headset. While at speed, flip through the channels on the controller to find the source of the noise. Or you can try this on your own; when you hear the noise, veer left to right in your lane. Most bearings tend to go out on one race initially. Since you only hear it about 40mph or so, I'd say it's in it's infancy. When veering, listen for the noise to "pause" or quiet briefly as the weight it transferred from the inner to the outer race.
Old 05-04-11, 06:12 PM
Devorkion
Driver

Originally Posted by outbid81
Wisconsin winters are similar to Ohio winters, a little road salt and moisture creeps past the bearing seal and good night bearing. Find a dealer that knows how to use a tool called a "chassis ear". It's a couple of wired leads placed wherever the tech suspects the noise is coming from, which are connected to a headset. While at speed, flip through the channels on the controller to find the source of the noise. Or you can try this on your own; when you hear the noise, veer left to right in your lane. Most bearings tend to go out on one race initially. Since you only hear it about 40mph or so, I'd say it's in it's infancy. When veering, listen for the noise to "pause" or quiet briefly as the weight it transferred from the inner to the outer race.
If you actually take the time to go do this, sell your car and walk everywhere you need to go.

Ultimate OCD.....It's a car! Anyone agree with me?!

I drive my car the way it is intended to be driven.....like it was stolen! LoL.

Just enjoy your car bro, you will end driving yourself nuts with this!
Old 05-04-11, 09:33 PM
outbid81
Driver School Candidate

OCD...really? This is how things get repaired. It's called diagnosis.
Old 05-05-11, 09:19 AM
Devorkion
Driver

Originally Posted by outbid81
OCD...really? This is how things get repaired. It's called diagnosis.
Maybe so.

But to diagnose an issue at "infancy", to the extent you describe, I think, is rediculous.

My opinion....and yes, I know, everyone has them.

The guy did his homework, got everything checked, including having the wheel bearing inspected.

Go enjoy your new Lexus bro !
Old 05-23-11, 03:53 AM
bucd
Driver School Candidate

got some update and hopefully when i get new wheels this is it!

UPDATE: 05/23/2011
So after all new pads/rotors, new tires and wheel alignment. No go.
I took it back to the place i got tires and asked them to rebalance. The guy comes out and tells me
i had 3 bent wheels. Say what? How did they not catch it the first now. Now i'm stuck with new rubber on 17inch stock. So i will be looking for aftermarket 17 inch now, even though i was not going to do 17 inch if i went after market. Hopefully this is it with the hum.

thanks everyone with trying to help me figure this one out. I just assumed when i got new tires, when they go to mount/balance it that one thing to check for was for any bends in the wheel.

-D

Now if any one has some cheap *** OEM wheels for sale, send me a PM.

Or some cheap aftermarket with same demensions will work as well. Gunmetal gray, or that hyperblack is a plus.

-D
Old 05-23-11, 06:14 AM
Devorkion
Driver

I have the five star staggered 18's for sale in Chrome it was a factory wheel upgrade
Old 05-23-11, 06:36 AM
bucd
Driver School Candidate

I have the five star staggered 18's for sale in Chrome it was a factory wheel upgrade
Yeah..i would love to get 18s or 19s, but i just got new tires on these and would like to reuse them.

having a new baby at home, it's hard to shell out much cash right now for anything. i told my wife that since i sold my truck and my coupe, i will get a sedan so it's easier to take the car seat in and out of the back and that i wouldn't spend too much after i got the car. 3 weeks of owning the car, i'ver already put too much into it for just tires, brakes, alignment alone...haha. I had just enough cash after selling my truck and other car to pay cash for this bad boy. Hopefully i can get by for now and fund some new toys later on down the line.

-D

Quick Reply: Humming sound at ~40-45mph