IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
Old 01-07-15, 04:10 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Did any one paint their rims using plasti dip?

Old 04-22-11, 12:53 PM
joechan819
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did any one paint their rims using plasti dip?

wanna paint my rims black using the "cheap" way, so just wanna see if any did it using pasti dip, i would like to see the result. or should i just bring it to someone to paint for me? I asked my fd, and they said it would cost me around $300
Old 04-22-11, 01:02 PM
jmaxey6622
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seen some vids on youtube i have never plasti dipped wheels but i have done my emblems turned out good i would think the paint would peel off just do it right or you may end up doining them twice

What car awd17"s if you want a black set ill sell/swap mine i have sand blasted them down to bare metal and there sitting i had bubbling in the paint on the spoke
Old 04-22-11, 01:35 PM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you check the PlastiDip Thread, there's quite a few members who had done this. Note that this will attract alot of dust since it's a matte finish. Make sure to use plenty of coats to keep it safe from all the road conditions.
Old 04-22-11, 01:54 PM
CrtifiedMD
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I've plasti-dipped the face of my chrome wheels & it held up for a few months before i just peeled it off for a different look. Never really collected dust or really showed any dirt. Washed em like normal too & all was well. As most others I'm sure, I was really impressed wiht that stuff... My emblems have been plasti-dipped for almost a year & still going strong.
Old 04-23-11, 02:37 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I Plasti-Dipped my stock 18s but eventually peeled it off and did something else. It looked great at first but after two months or so, it started to look faded and got dirty really easily. So I peeled it off, sprayed two coats of Plasti-Dip, two coats of Duplicolor Satin Black Wheel Coating, and two coats of Duplicolor Clear Wheel Coating. The result was way better than Plasti-Dip alone and it costs under $20 to do all four wheels. Yes, it's removable too!

The following users liked this post:
KenjiGr (02-05-18)
Old 04-23-11, 03:29 PM
ApokC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same thing with me! I did it, looked great, then they got dirty and looked like this, and I couldn't clean it off!

Old 04-30-11, 11:52 AM
Marty315
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chi123
I Plasti-Dipped my stock 18s but eventually peeled it off and did something else. It looked great at first but after two months or so, it started to look faded and got dirty really easily. So I peeled it off, sprayed two coats of Plasti-Dip, two coats of Duplicolor Satin Black Wheel Coating, and two coats of Duplicolor Clear Wheel Coating. The result was way better than Plasti-Dip alone and it costs under $20 to do all four wheels. Yes, it's removable too!

Where did you get the Duplicolor products? How long have you had this paint job on your wheels and how is it holding up? Did you prep the wheels at all before putting the duplicolor on?
Old 04-30-11, 02:49 PM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my mercedes wheels plasti dipped. I was impressed how well the paint held up considering I was driving about 200 miles a day.
Old 04-30-11, 06:25 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Marty315
Where did you get the Duplicolor products? How long have you had this paint job on your wheels and how is it holding up? Did you prep the wheels at all before putting the duplicolor on?
I got my paint from Pepboys and the Plasti-Dip from Home Depot. Your local auto parts store should have the wheel paint but may not have Plasti-Dip. It took under 2-3 hours to paints all the wheels. I didn't have to prep them, just wipe them down with soap and towel, spray 1 light coat of Plasti-Dip and then two heavy coats, 2 light coats of black wheel paint then 1 heavy, and 2 heavy clearcoats.

I've driven it in rain storms and everything so far except for snow. I wouldn't expect it to hold up through a Chicago winter but it might.

If you decide to do it, it's removable if you don't like it. You'll need at least two cans of Plasti-Dip, 1 or maybe 2 cans of wheel paint, and one can of clear.

Black wheel paint, other colors are available: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dupli...motiveQ5fTools

Clear wheel paint: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dupli...motiveQ5fTools
Old 04-30-11, 10:44 PM
b4k4kun
Driver School Candidate

bookmarked. great job chi123. Think I might do this on my next day off... which is in weeks? :X
Old 05-22-11, 01:34 PM
wzin
Rookie

Originally Posted by chi123

Is your car obsidian? or black? cuz im thinking of doing this wheel paint for my car, but i hav a hard time imagining whether black oem rims will go nice with my obsidian is250. suggestions?
Old 05-22-11, 01:34 PM
wzin
Rookie

btw, is tht a brake cover? or you actually switched out the front brakes? it looks nice =) something i would like to have, where did u get it? you buy it or u paint the brakes?
Old 05-22-11, 02:10 PM
mjh09e
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Looks like he bought the caliper paint from PepBoys as well. Looks great actually!
Old 05-22-11, 07:06 PM
Jensennn
Driver

the calipers are painted but what I'm wondering is how you got the Lexus logo to come out so nice is it a sticker or what did you do?
Old 05-22-11, 07:49 PM
teddypainz
Driver School Candidate

it's a high temp vinyl decal.. you can order it on ebay for about $10. I believe it's also available on motogfx.com or something like that... I got mine from ebay..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lexus...#ht_1625wt_715

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Did any one paint their rims using plasti dip?