IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

TPMS reading

Old 04-19-11, 11:40 AM
hazmat
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS reading

I have some new wheels and thinking about buying some TPMS from ebay and put it on there as well. Is there a way for me to read my current stock TPMS serial numbers before I reprogram them to the new ones? Just so in case I need to swap back the stockies I have the data already without having the tires removed.

Thanks
Old 04-19-11, 11:50 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by hazmat
I have some new wheels and thinking about buying some TPMS from ebay and put it on there as well. Is there a way for me to read my current stock TPMS serial numbers before I reprogram them to the new ones? Just so in case I need to swap back the stockies I have the data already without having the tires removed.

Thanks
No way to do it yourself.

The guy programming the car might be able to look up the "current" serials with the techstream programmer.

Note though- your car can hold 2 sets, so no need to erase your existing set to add a second one. You switch between sets with the multi-switch.
(the thing that looks like <o> to the lower left of the wheel)
Old 04-19-11, 11:51 AM
SPNinjA
Lead Lap

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "Is there a way for me to read my current stock TPMS serial numbers before I reprogram them to the new ones"?

You don't need to reprogram anything. When you buy the second set of TPMS sensors, get them programmed to your car as the "2nd set". Your car will automatically re-learn the TPMS sensors when you switch wheels.
Old 04-19-11, 11:52 AM
SPNinjA
Lead Lap

You are everywhere Kurtz!!!
Old 04-19-11, 12:51 PM
hazmat
Rookie

oh okay didn't note the car can hold 2 sets of TPMS, awesome thanks
Old 04-19-11, 12:53 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 580 Likes on 390 Posts

You can program 2 sets of TPMS. Just get them programmed as the 2nd set, then you can go back at any time. As for getting the ID codes without removing the tires, that can be done too. You can either get the ID codes out of the computer, or you can use a TPMS scanner to read the code from the wheel (this doesn't work 100% of the time, but I think most Toyota/Lexus dealers now have one of these readers).

EDIT: Too late. :|

Jeff
Old 04-19-11, 01:45 PM
ddhleigh
Pole Position

Does the dealership have to do the programming or is there someone else able to do it out there? Also curious on what others have paid for this service at the dealership. Thanks!
Old 04-19-11, 01:56 PM
SPNinjA
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ddhleigh
Does the dealership have to do the programming or is there someone else able to do it out there? Also curious on what others have paid for this service at the dealership. Thanks!
Only Lexus/Toyota dealerships can program the TPMS for you. They have the software on their computers. You're better off going with Toyota since Lexus will more than likely charge you out the ace! I got mine done for $85 from Toyota. Lexus wanted $180...
Old 04-19-11, 02:07 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

I don't think Toyota/Lexus are the only ones that can program them, I'm pretty sure some independents have the necessary tools to do the programming, at least around here, but I can't say for sure one way or the other. I've always just used a Techstream for mine. (Toyota dealership).

Jeff
Old 04-19-11, 02:11 PM
embolism
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looking at the timestamps I can only conclude that some of you type really, really slow...

hahahahhahaa
Old 04-19-11, 02:18 PM
ddhleigh
Pole Position

LOL, sometimes I can only type out half of what I want to say. Then I need to do some work and then complete the post later
Old 04-19-11, 02:40 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by SPNinjA
Your car will automatically re-learn the TPMS sensors when you switch wheels.
No, as Kurtz described earlier, you have to manually choose which set of sensors is active with the controls to the left of the steering wheel.

Originally Posted by SPNinjA
Only Lexus/Toyota dealerships can program the TPMS for you. They have the software on their computers. You're better off going with Toyota since Lexus will more than likely charge you out the ace! I got mine done for $85 from Toyota. Lexus wanted $180...
This used to be true, but more-and-more tire shops are investing in the equipment needed to program our TPMS system themselves. In fact, the aftermarket solution is even better at the job than the dealer's Techstream tool, since it can read the sensor codes without dismounting the tires from the rims.

If you want to get a look at what an aftermarket TPMS programming tool can do, check out this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10yYuEo73f8
Old 04-19-11, 02:44 PM
SPNinjA
Lead Lap

^^^Hey, that's weird. When I got my second set programmed, it was still on the "Main set". After driving around for a while, it changed to "2nd set"? I didn't manually set anything.
Old 04-19-11, 02:48 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Originally Posted by Bichon
[...]Better at the job than the dealer's Techstream tool, since it can read the sensor codes without dismounting the tires from the rims.
Actually, like I was saying, most dealerships should be able to do this now as well, as Toyota has a reading tool to read the ID codes without dismounting the tires.

Jeff
Old 04-19-11, 03:09 PM
ddhleigh
Pole Position

Just checked with my local Toyota dealer. They said they can do them, takes about 1 hour and the cost is $99.50 CDN (I'm in Vancouver BC). So I guess way cheaper than a Lexus dealership.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TPMS reading