[B]IS 250/350 Navigation Units--PLEASE READ IF YOU HAVE ONE[/B]

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-11, 06:43 PM
Newlexluvr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default [B]IS 250/350 Navigation Units--PLEASE READ IF YOU HAVE ONE[/B]

Hello Everyone,
I have had my 2006 IS350 since october of 05, I purchased it the first day the 2nd Generation IS hit the lots. Needless to say, I am on my 9th or 10th recall.

Just took it back to the dealer for 2 recalls and had to convince them tonot charge me to fix a horrible grinding noise that the car makes when I start it up for about 1-2 seconds. I am sitting at 102k miles so they tried to tell me it was going to cost 1100.00 to fix a part that is losing oil, this coming from the service guy, not a technician...he knew exactly what the problem, knew exactly what it sounded like and since its not a saftey issue it wont be a recall item. Lastly, I spent 5k fixing a snapped valve spring 10 months prior to the valve spring recall....enough complaining about my car. I love the damn thing so much!

It is time Lexus owns up to the Navigation system and all of the issues that us owners have had to deal with. THE NAVIGATION UNIT WONT EVER become a recalled part since they are not a saftey issue.

I have had to replace the screen once so far that that was another 2600.00, 6 months later my map doesnt work, its giving me a message saying "external unit not connected". The Dealer said I need a new hard drive(I have heard that everytime there is an issue with it).

The service manager finally admitted that the nav unit is prone to a lot of problems and unless there is a class action lawsuit, Lexus wont fix them.

Doing a little bit of research on the issue I know that there are many owners out there that have benefited from a group of individuals coming together with the same issue.

HERE IS WHAT I KNOW TO BE TRUE:

1. If your car is still under warranty and your nav unit has issues, lexus will cover it

2. If they fix the issue you have 1 year of parts and labor coverage

3. Eventually your warranty will expire and you will have to pay out of your pocket if your nav system fails

4. Your Nav system WILL FAIL AGAIN

5. Your Nav system WILL FAIL AGAIN

If you would like to join me in getting Lexus to address this issue please email me with the following:

-Name
-Model(250 or 350) and year of your IS
-Issues you have had with your Navigation unit
1. Hard Drive gone bad
2. Display screen outage
3. Any other issues that can be grouped together on a mass level

I am not asking for a lot of information here and I am willing to do the leg and foot work to get this going. I am a very easy going individual, not a complainer by any means but I feel just about taking the intiative in getting this started so Lexus can own up their faulty Navigation units that cost over 5k.

I look forward to hearing from as many of you as possible.

Richard Berlanga
Rberlanga@gmail.com
925-577-9002

Proud lexus owner since 10/05(still proud after 10 recalls and thousands of dollars in fixing problems that Lexus hasnt recalled yet)

By the way if any of you havent used the Zaino product to polish your car, I highly reccomend it. Just applied 3 coats last weekend and my black beauty looks just like it did the day I drove it off the lot...Its ridiculous www.zaino.com

Last edited by Newlexluvr; 04-18-11 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Title is not bold
Old 04-19-11, 08:54 AM
3sgte_slow
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please do this guys!! Lexus should know whats going on with the car. I've had just as many issues!!!

You will get an email from me soon sir! I have to get all the invoices of things I've gotten done at the dealer... hahaha
Old 04-19-11, 09:10 AM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

damn dude, I havent had any issues so far. Maybe take it to another service center???
Old 04-19-11, 09:25 AM
Newlexluvr
Driver School Candidate

Default Its not the service center

I have taken it to 4 dealers in the bay area, its the nav unit. If you havent had any issues consider yourself lucky. Hopefully I can get enough people together so when your unit does go out, lexus will have to fix it free of charge.

If you hear of anyone having NAV issues please direct them to my thread.

Thanks
Old 04-19-11, 09:30 AM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

Not a problem, but this is the first time heard people having problems with their unit
Old 04-19-11, 10:34 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

the lexus extended warranty covers the nav unit -- so for those who are still able to purchase one, i'd suggest it. i'm still covered by the bumper-to-bumper warranty and my unit has been replaced.
Old 04-19-11, 10:51 AM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

2+ years going strong with my NAV. Best of luck to y'all, and myself i suppose for continued no issues.
Old 04-19-11, 11:16 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

can't say whether there is or isn't a manufacturing defect w/ the nav screen/unit, though i've read of isolated incidents in the 2is section (but nothing widespread). however, i've had ZERO issues w/ mine since april 2006.

btw, the our generation's nav units are DVD-based, not hard-drive based.
Old 04-19-11, 11:21 AM
misteradio
Driver School Candidate

Bought my 2007 IS250 used last year. The navi broke down a few weeks ago (unresponsive to touch) and got it fixed last week under warranty, thank goodness... But its still a bit glitchy, maybe 'cause of the heat? And my warranty is about to run out. Urgh. Sucks.
Old 04-19-11, 11:39 AM
Lexustom
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Newlexluvr, I am very impressed that you are still a "proud" Lexus owner. Had I been the one with all your problems I seriously doubt I would still be as proud. All that to say that I would help you in a heartbeat if I was having any problems at all. Other than all the re-calls my '06 IS350 with ALL options has so far been flawless. Picked it up Jan. '06 brand new. Admittedly only 40,000 miles though. Sure hope it does not let me down later. But.........maybe so. We shall see.

Good luck with your project.
Old 04-19-11, 03:08 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Whew, it's posts like this that make me happy I got a CPO car with an extended warranty..

I feel for you, I had a bunch of issues on my last car, and I'm impressed you're still proud to be a Lexus owner after all this.

I bought my 2007 IS350 3 months ago and the nav works great, and it's never had issues before, at least none indicated in the detailed Lexus service history.

If I ever do have a problem with it, even if it's covered by warranty, I'll definitely contact you!
Old 07-24-13, 01:19 PM
teefar
Driver

How did this one fall off the grid? Lets make this happen
Old 07-24-13, 02:53 PM
Honorebel
Driver

Email sent.