IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2009 and newer ISx50 paddle shifters shift quicker than 06-08

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-11, 07:50 AM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
The 250 and 350 don't have the same transmission- it's possible you're just noticing the difference in gearing.
When I say more responsive I mean that when I lower the top gear (i.e. "downshift"), the car "shifts" into that lower gear with less of a delay. Assuming my perception is reality, that would most likely be a difference in the ECUs, not the trasmission, right? We do know for a fact that the ECUs are different (the '09+ ISx50 allowing use of the paddles with in drive), so to me this theory is entirely possible. I've also driven '06-'08 IS250s on several occasions, and the paddles have the same lengthly delay as my '06 IS350. Again, it's all anectodal... Where's lobuxracer?
Old 04-19-11, 08:36 AM
vital
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I see a lot of people saying the paddle shifters are worthless but never provide a reason why? Is it because it shifts too slow?
Old 04-19-11, 08:49 AM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Originally Posted by vital
I see a lot of people saying the paddle shifters are worthless but never provide a reason why? Is it because it shifts too slow?
The reason has been provided several times so far in this thread: because they aren't actually paddle shifters, but merely gear limiters. The only scenario I could envision them being useful would be on a freeway race when you want to force your car into a lower gear before gunning in (to save time on downshifting).
Old 04-19-11, 09:32 AM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The newer models do respond faster in S mode. Just sayin.
Old 04-19-11, 10:38 AM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To add to brociouz comment, you still don't have full control of the shift. When you downshift with the paddle shifter, you are only locking out the gear and forcing the ECU to use the lower range of gear. The ECU still decides what gear to use between the range of gears left.

That is why the paddle shifters on the ISx50 are utterly useless. The only application I see is for downshifting, or in other words, lock out the high gears.

I learned this from the school of Kurtz.

If anyone wants to compare apples to apples for the next CL Meet, we can compare pre 09 IS250 to mine with the paddle shifter. Perhaps, record the downshift with a camera.
Old 04-19-11, 11:24 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

In most cases, shifting to a lower gear in the is-f that is not appropriate for the speed would/should be restricted. Is that true?
Old 04-19-11, 11:27 AM
Deegee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

to bad they don't make IS350 Manual tranny,
Old 04-19-11, 11:46 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Deegee
to bad they don't make IS350 Manual tranny,
Why would you want a slower, less efficient, antique in your nice new Lexus?

No, it's too bad they don't have the F transmission in the 350, with a real no-1950s-relic-clutch-needed M mode.
Old 04-19-11, 11:49 AM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Originally Posted by chikoo
In most cases, shifting to a lower gear in the is-f that is not appropriate for the speed would/should be restricted. Is that true?
If you're asking if the IS-F will prevent you from downshifting to a gear that would cause the RPMs to exceed the redline, then the answer is yes. The same applies to the ISx50 gear limiters. The car will emit an electronic beep to let you know "I'm not going to let you blow the engine up, stay in this gear for now."
Old 04-19-11, 12:04 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by brociouz
If you're asking if the IS-F will prevent you from downshifting to a gear that would cause the RPMs to exceed the redline, then the answer is yes. The same applies to the ISx50 gear limiters. The car will emit an electronic beep to let you know "I'm not going to let you blow the engine up, stay in this gear for now."
That, but more importantly will it let me shift to a higher gear and let me stall or will it prevent me from doing that?
Old 04-19-11, 12:19 PM
Jmags
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The paddles are NOT worthless.

When cruising down long hills in vermont they come in nice and handy to throw it down a gear or two (from 6th) to hold your speed where you want it.
Old 04-19-11, 12:24 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Jmags

When cruising down long hills in vermont they come in nice and handy to throw it down a gear or two (from 6th) to hold your speed where you want it.
Like every other technology solutions, the end result is how one adapts with the technology at hand. A creative driver will combine the ECU's recommendations to upshift with his/her need to downshift on demand, within the constraints set by the system to not destroy itself ie. not let you Rev over redline nor let you shift into a higher gear that will stall.
Old 04-19-11, 03:34 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
That, but more importantly will it let me shift to a higher gear and let me stall or will it prevent me from doing that?
It has a torque converter... how are you planning to stall the car exactly?

Originally Posted by Jmags

They're worthless for performance purposes... they're quite handy for saving your brakes when coming down off a mountain.
Old 04-19-11, 04:09 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Agree ISF shifter are much better but I don't like paddles on the steering wheel. They should be mounted like LFA shifter.

Last edited by dojoman; 04-19-11 at 04:17 PM.
Old 04-19-11, 04:32 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 190 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Why would you want a slower, less efficient, antique in your nice new Lexus?

No, it's too bad they don't have the F transmission in the 350, with a real no-1950s-relic-clutch-needed M mode.

Still beating that drum, I see.

Some people prefer pump-action shotguns. Autoloaders cycle faster, kick less, and allow you to maintain your bead.

I've driven an IS-F. In anger. On a road course. The paddles did everything I told them to do. I'd still rather have a proper manual gearbox. I prefer third pedals and pump guns. You don't. Get over it.

Last edited by GrandSedanFan; 04-19-11 at 04:41 PM.

Quick Reply: 2009 and newer ISx50 paddle shifters shift quicker than 06-08