IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

How much to swap out instrument cluster lens?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-11, 03:42 PM
SPNinjA
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much to swap out instrument cluster lens?

According to my local Lexus STEALERSHIP service advisor...

"I checked with service. It would take about 4 hrs and it would be $ 500.00 + 29.89 for the part. Let us know what you would like to do. Have a great day!"

I'm never going back to them ever again for any kind of service. I've been asking around the forum for a while now but, no one seems to know exactly how to do this. Can anyone provide a step by step DIY for this?
Old 04-18-11, 04:20 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SPNinjA
According to my local Lexus STEALERSHIP service advisor...

"I checked with service. It would take about 4 hrs and it would be $ 500.00 + 29.89 for the part. Let us know what you would like to do. Have a great day!"

I'm never going back to them ever again for any kind of service. I've been asking around the forum for a while now but, no one seems to know exactly how to do this. Can anyone provide a step by step DIY for this?
I would imagine removal of the instrument cluster lens requires removal of the dash pad, which is a 3-4 hour job, so I'm not surprised at their quote at all. I can attest to the time and effort it requires to get the dash removed, as my car had to go into the shop 4 separate times to have the dash rattle fixed.

If there's a way to remove the lens without removing the dash pad then yes, that quote is high.
Old 04-18-11, 06:01 PM
SPNinjA
Lead Lap

CLOSE THIS THREAD MODS!

I said screw it and did it myself. It's a lot easier than I originally thought. My initial fear was accidentally breaking some tabs but, I didn't completely take the dash apart. I just loosened everything up, took off the cluster trim, and popped the cluster lens out. It took me about 45 minutes to do everything and that was being careful. So a 4 hour job my ace! Unfortunately, the lens was completely stained and I couldn't get it out so, I decided to put an order in for a new one. $33 shipped + DIY = WINNING!
Old 04-18-11, 06:19 PM
Nikon
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

wow nice work. the hardest part is committing. good job.
Old 04-18-11, 06:20 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

I've never seen a Toyota/Lexus that required the removal of the dash pad to get the cluster out. This isn't that hard to do. Pop a few panels off, get the cluster bezel/trim off, and pull off the lens. 45mins to an hour sounds about right.

Jeff
Old 04-18-11, 06:25 PM
machefai
Driver

Out of curiosity, why were you replacing?
Old 04-18-11, 06:49 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Good work. I originally thought the dash had to be removed because the instrument panel rattle TSIB called for it, but upon reviewing the TSIB it's clear that's only because you need to access other parts of the dash.

Why were you replacing it? If it's a common problem that might affect others it might be good to post a mini-DIY, since I haven't seen another on CL.
Old 04-18-11, 07:06 PM
SPNinjA
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Nikon
wow nice work. the hardest part is committing. good job.
Thanks, bro. I'm not one of those DIY guys but, lately, I've been risking it with pretty good success. Now I won't do any engine work minus a couple such as battery and filter change...

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
I've never seen a Toyota/Lexus that required the removal of the dash pad to get the cluster out. This isn't that hard to do. Pop a few panels off, get the cluster bezel/trim off, and pull off the lens. 45mins to an hour sounds about right.

Jeff
Yep, no dash pads were removed. Pretty much did exactly what you described. I'll keep my $500 (not that I would have paid that much to begin with) but, these guys just lost my business.

Originally Posted by calvin2376
Good work. I originally thought the dash had to be removed because the instrument panel rattle TSIB called for it, but upon reviewing the TSIB it's clear that's only because you need to access other parts of the dash.

Why were you replacing it? If it's a common problem that might affect others it might be good to post a mini-DIY, since I haven't seen another on CL.
To Machai and Calvin,

I accidentally got some cleaning product on the cluster lens a long time ago and it just completely dried and caked on. This was a while back before joining CL. I know now, not to use meguiars cleaning products near the instrument cluster. I tried using Plexus and even went as far as taking one of those brittle pads to sand it down a bit and than apply polish. The spots were still there so I decided to just pay $33 for a new one... I'll see if I can get a little DIY going.
Old 04-18-11, 07:13 PM
Numbahz
Driver

While everyones on that topic, I have a few surface scracthes on mine and it really bugs me out. Any idea how to maybe get them out, Nothing too intense like a power tool lol.
Old 04-18-11, 08:16 PM
SPNinjA
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Numbahz
While everyones on that topic, I have a few surface scracthes on mine and it really bugs me out. Any idea how to maybe get them out, Nothing too intense like a power tool lol.
You can try plexus plastic cleaner and if that doesn't work, try Plastx or 3M plastic polish. I've heard of people using the headlight restoration kit to wet sand and than polish it new too but, I didn't go this route because these kits are usually priced pretty close to a brand new cover lens.
Old 04-18-11, 08:29 PM
machefai
Driver

I just went through this! Novus plastic polish FTW!! $8 from amazon. See here for pics: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...r-plastic.html
Old 04-18-11, 08:44 PM
SPNinjA
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by machefai
I just went through this! Novus plastic polish FTW!! $8 from amazon. See here for pics: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...r-plastic.html
Excellent results, bro! The stain I had was pretty stubborn though. I was grinding it down with a brillo pad and it still wouldn't go away. It's like the chemicals burrowed themselves inside the plastic, lol! Oh well, $33 bucks is as cheap as it gets for a brand new cover lens.
Old 04-18-11, 08:59 PM
JoshIS408
- - G T V I P - -

Received 117 Likes on 44 Posts

haha its easy peasy

Old 04-18-11, 09:30 PM
SPNinjA
Lead Lap

^^^That would look scary to any DIY beginners, LOL! Wish I would have ran into you a long time ago, Josh. This thing was bothering me for months!
Old 04-18-11, 09:33 PM
JoshIS408
- - G T V I P - -

Received 117 Likes on 44 Posts

LOL i was scared too. My friend figured out how the cluster came out. then after everything was unclipped and off it popd right off

Quick Reply: How much to swap out instrument cluster lens?