IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Dealership quoted "discounted" rate of $905 for 90k service.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-11, 06:32 PM
autovation
Intermediate

Received 79 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Dealership quoted "discounted" rate of $905 for 90k service.

Normal rate was $995. They could do this at the discount while they were in the engine for the recall. For the IS350 this was to include:

Oil change
Cabin Air filter change
Engine Air filter change (i guess they didn't notice the K&N Typhoon...)
Brake fluid change
Timing belt (??? I was speechless after this one)
Transmission fluid (???)
Rear diff fluid (not needed)

Thought you guys would get a good laugh. They did notice my tires were worn and need to be replaced so its not all bad.

More items that just irk me other than being lied to by the service advisor...
- The loaner they gave me only had 140 miles of range on it and I'll have it for 4 days (wtf???). I have to put gas in it already since I live so far from the dealer.
- The loaner IS250 has a tire leaking air so I need to pump it up every morning. It's 25+ miles to the dealer so not really worth it to drive back just for this.
- I'm pretty sure they won't wash my IS350 or put any gas in it like I hear the rest of you guys talking about. They haven't for last 4 times I took it in for recalls.

So how do I get the $500 gift card that I will be spending at Sewell and not here in town?
Old 04-17-11, 06:36 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

WTF!!!!!!!!??????? that's a Freaking JOKE!!! You only got the recall right?
Old 04-17-11, 06:39 PM
autovation
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Sffd103
WTF!!!!!!!!??????? that's a Freaking JOKE!!! You only got the recall right?
Most definitely only getting the recall. I do all the service items myself, they are so easy on the IS350. I go to pick it up on Tuesday, I'm debating if I should say anything or just let it go.
Old 04-17-11, 06:41 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd ask about the timing belt and tranny fluid. Just to "Bust them Out!!"
Old 04-17-11, 06:51 PM
autovation
Intermediate

I think that might need to be done. The more I think about it, the more it seems just wrong what they are doing.
Old 04-17-11, 06:52 PM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Crazy yo glad ur in the know
Old 04-17-11, 08:09 PM
MashinA
Lexus Champion

i love how they try to make money EVEN on their own recalls...ridiculous
i hate that bs thats why im not even bothering bringin my car in for that stupid fuel recall...
Old 04-18-11, 06:28 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by autovation
Normal rate was $995. They could do this at the discount while they were in the engine for the recall. For the IS350 this was to include:

Oil change
Cabin Air filter change
Engine Air filter change (i guess they didn't notice the K&N Typhoon...)
Brake fluid change
Timing belt (??? I was speechless after this one)
Transmission fluid (???)
Rear diff fluid (not needed)

Thought you guys would get a good laugh. They did notice my tires were worn and need to be replaced so its not all bad.
This is quite absurd, but not just because of the price. The Lexus recommended 90k mile service is included below. The timing belt replacement is included for 90k, but only for the GS and SC. The IS doesn't have a timing belt, it has a timing chain, and Lexus never includes timing chain replacement in its recommended scheduled maintenance at any mileage. The timing chain would only be replaced if there was a problem with it, which I understand is fairly rare.

The transmission fluid is also never recommended in the Lexus maintenance schedule since it's a lifetime fluid in a sealed system.

- The loaner IS250 has a tire leaking air so I need to pump it up every morning. It's 25+ miles to the dealer so not really worth it to drive back just for this.
Upon return of the loaner, I'd absolutely bring this up and explain to them what an imposition it was on you to come out every morning and fill up the tire and ask them for a discount/credit.

- I'm pretty sure they won't wash my IS350 or put any gas in it like I hear the rest of you guys talking about. They haven't for last 4 times I took it in for recalls.
The dealer is directed by Lexus to fill the tank for you for free with this specific recall. This was not the case for all recalls, which is likely why they didn't for the past recalls. If they don't fill up your tank, when you arrive to pick it up you need to have them go fill it up for you for free and if they protest, explain you'll call Lexus corporate for explanation.

If I were you I'd absolutely bring up to the dealer how they flat out lied to you about the 90k service and ask for their explanation. They can't possibly argue ignorance, as 1) they're a Lexus dealer and 2) it's all written out explicitly in the maintenance schedule. They know the IS doesn't have a timing belt, and they also know the chain never needs to be replaced. Same with the transmission fluid - it never even shows up in the schedule.

Originally Posted by MashinA
i love how they try to make money EVEN on their own recalls...ridiculous
i hate that bs thats why im not even bothering bringin my car in for that stupid fuel recall...
This however is an overreaction. You absolutely should bring your car in for the recall for many reasons, but most importantly it's a safety issue. This recall isn't a joke - the issue happened on my car before the recall, and gasoline was leaking out into the engine bay from the broken fuel gasket. The inside and outside of the car smelled like gasoline and it could easily have started a fire. In addition, if you don't get a recall performed in a timely fashion and the issue occurs and causes damage to your car, you may be liable for the costs of repairs. Finally, potential buyers/dealers when you decide to sell or trade-in your car will expect to see all open recalls performed and on time.

The recall's free, and it's a safety issue, so have it done.
Attached Thumbnails Dealership quoted "discounted" rate of 5 for 90k service.-2.jpg  

Last edited by calvin2376; 04-18-11 at 06:35 AM.
Old 04-18-11, 07:01 AM
Thinktwice
Pole Position

I bet they'd even include that they replaced everything on the invoice. I'd stay away from this dealership like the plague, even if all they were doing is a recall.
Old 04-18-11, 07:19 AM
autovation
Intermediate

I 100% agree that any of the fuel related recalls should be done. Don't mess around on those items. In regards to the $500 gift card, don't you need to have the recalls done in order to get it?
Old 04-18-11, 07:28 AM
JDMis350
Driver

Calvin2376 pretty much nailed it on the head.
Old 04-18-11, 07:35 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I 100% agree that any of the fuel related recalls should be done. Don't mess around on those items. In regards to the $500 gift card, don't you need to have the recalls done in order to get it?
The $500 gift card recall involved the valve spring recall, not the most recent fuel pressure sensor recall which I believe is what you're bringing your car in for. As compensation to IS350 owners for the valve spring recall, Lexus extended owners' powertrain warranties to 100k miles. However, if you already had this extended powetrain warranty (like if your car was CPO or had a VSA, for example) then you got the $500 gift card instead. Also, some states like FL did not allow the powertrain warranty extension so owners in FL automatically got the $500 gift card.
Old 04-18-11, 10:26 AM
autovation
Intermediate

Originally Posted by calvin2376
The $500 gift card recall involved the valve spring recall, not the most recent fuel pressure sensor recall which I believe is what you're bringing your car in for. As compensation to IS350 owners for the valve spring recall, Lexus extended owners' powertrain warranties to 100k miles. However, if you already had this extended powetrain warranty (like if your car was CPO or had a VSA, for example) then you got the $500 gift card instead. Also, some states like FL did not allow the powertrain warranty extension so owners in FL automatically got the $500 gift card.
I'm doing the fuel pressure sensor and the valve spring recalls on this trip. My car is over 90k miles already anyway, the 100k mile warranty isn't doing me much good. I'm going to call corporate and see if they will send the card.

I wrote a scathing review of the dealer in my Lexus survey from my last experience with them. I still haven't heard back from Lexus and it was 6 months ago. I'm not holding my breath. That time the dealer told me the clear silicon on my Odyssey battery terminals was acid that was leaking out because the alternator overcharged my small battery. Then they told me I needed a $200 battery replacement to fix it. Unreal. $150 oil changes, $200 batteries, $1000 oil & brake fluid changes, these are Ferrari prices.