IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Pics of my '06 IS250 with 2011MY headlights w/ LED Strip

Old 08-18-11, 03:56 PM
kashmoney1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the help, and I believe I know whats going on now. Prior to switching out the headlights, my parking lights had stopped turning on for some reason. I even threw in some new vleds that wouldnt turn on either. I figured it was fine since I was planning on this upgrade. Im completely lost as to what direction to go in now? Do I wire differently? How do I backtrack the parking light issue?
Old 08-19-11, 06:56 AM
Thinktwice
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kashmoney1
Thanks for the help, and I believe I know whats going on now. Prior to switching out the headlights, my parking lights had stopped turning on for some reason. I even threw in some new vleds that wouldnt turn on either. I figured it was fine since I was planning on this upgrade. Im completely lost as to what direction to go in now? Do I wire differently? How do I backtrack the parking light issue?
Well just know that the green wire is to power the LEDs, so however you wanna splice it to get power to them is ultimately up to you. Do your amber colored side markers work in the headlights? They should come on whenever you turn on your parking lights. You could try using that as the power source.

Last edited by Thinktwice; 08-19-11 at 07:01 AM.
Old 08-19-11, 07:51 AM
kashmoney1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Thinktwice
Well just know that the green wire is to power the LEDs, so however you wanna splice it to get power to them is ultimately up to you. Do your amber colored side markers work in the headlights? They should come on whenever you turn on your parking lights. You could try using that as the power source.
I just checked and unfortunately the side markers are not turning on either(fuse box issue?). So looks like ill have to splice those wires as well. Which wire on the pic gives power to the side markers? Any other ideas of another wire to splice the green one to. Also which socket do I ultimately want the green wire to get 100% brightness
Old 08-19-11, 10:55 AM
Thinktwice
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kashmoney1
I just checked and unfortunately the side markers are not turning on either(fuse box issue?). So looks like ill have to splice those wires as well. Which wire on the pic gives power to the side markers? Any other ideas of another wire to splice the green one to. Also which socket do I ultimately want the green wire to get 100% brightness
You may wanna check the fuse, that could be the simplest solution. As long as the green wire is powered the LEDs will be at 100% brightness. The trick is figuring out where to splice it that is normally powered on when the low/high beams are off (which would normally just be the parking lights). You can of course just connect it to the low beams, but then your LEDs would only come on when your low beams are on. Alternatively, you can try simply running the wire out of the connector to a constant power source so they'll always be on whenever you turn on the car, but not sure where to tell you for that one.
Old 08-20-11, 05:20 PM
davidky808
Driver School Candidate

does anyone know what the circle hole is for on the bottom of the headlight? i'm trying to find the cover for it but can't seem to find the part. Thanks in advance
Old 08-20-11, 05:45 PM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

A bazillion pages of everyone saying to install the lights in all different ways. Jesus Christ this thread makes me want to slit my wrists.
Old 08-20-11, 05:48 PM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JoshIS408
Tap to white ignition wire. problem solved. Every time car is on led strips on full brightness. when turned off, led goes off. Just get your DRLS disabled and leave the stalk on auto
Josh, I thought the ignition wire only has power when the vehicle is off?
I'm probably confused. But I'd like a simpler method on how to get these lights to stay on full bright at all times and it seems like you're on to something.
Old 08-22-11, 04:46 PM
rookieIS
Lexus Champion

Does the 2011 LED headlights comes with AFS / non-AFS? does either with or without AFS works the same on my non-AFS 2IS?

I apologize if this topic was covered before, but i couldn't find any information regarding the AFS option. Any input is greatly appreciated!
Old 08-22-11, 04:53 PM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

Sewell sells one for AFS, not sure if it is in fact AFS though or just deletes the AFS function.

The factory, no. They no longer come with AFS from the factory. Which sucks IMO
Old 08-22-11, 06:55 PM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

Take what I say with a grain of salt, but the person person to ask would be sewell.
In theory I don't see y it wouldn't. But sewell should know for sure since they sell two different sets.
Old 08-22-11, 07:08 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rookieIS
What if i purchase one side of headlight w/o AFS and the other with AFS, will that work on my 06 w/o AFS option? This is kind of a stupid question, but If it works, I could purchase the headlights from two separate sellers.
The 2011 headlight DO NOT come with AFS.... The new headlights with the LED DRLs have HID only - The AFS is deleted. The NON-HID headlights still do not have LEDs

Originally Posted by rookieIS
Does the 2011 LED headlights comes with AFS / non-AFS? does either with or without AFS works the same on my non-AFS 2IS?

I apologize if this topic was covered before, but i couldn't find any information regarding the AFS option. Any input is greatly appreciated!
The 2011 headlight DO NOT come with AFS.

The 2 packages on sewell are for people who are upgrading and currently have either 1)Halogens or 2) HID w/ AFS...

If you don't have HIDs w/ AFS now, you order the Halogen to HID with LED DRL package

Hope this helps!

Last edited by GiantsFan; 08-22-11 at 07:12 PM.
Old 08-23-11, 10:54 AM
Thinktwice
Pole Position

Originally Posted by davidky808
does anyone know what the circle hole is for on the bottom of the headlight? i'm trying to find the cover for it but can't seem to find the part. Thanks in advance
There is a circular cap with wires coming out of it that to plug into the LED board and the other end to the rest of the harness. I can't remember the part # off hand, but if you have a 2011 headlight diagram I believe it shows the part there. Just be aware that in that diagram, the cap doesn't look nearly as big as it actually is.
Old 08-23-11, 05:31 PM
davidky808
Driver School Candidate

^ awww man. If you can, please look up the part # and let me know. I went to the dealership and they don't seem to have the new headlight diagram for the 2011 headlights.
Old 09-17-11, 05:43 PM
pavelekPL
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

sooo just spent few hours on the headlights and just like another member here the led strips don't work My guess is that thinktwice had stock HID's and relocating one cable would work for him. And since originaly my car didn't come with HID's i think i need to relocate the wire in a differen slot....but which one
Old 09-17-11, 06:27 PM
Mingo209
Driver School Candidate

nice mod, i'm hoping to do this to my IS also.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pics of my '06 IS250 with 2011MY headlights w/ LED Strip