IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Pics of my '06 IS250 with 2011MY headlights w/ LED Strip

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-11, 08:43 AM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

so what plug is it? auto level control plug? so the new headlight has two plugs wire harness? one big black and that small plug?
Old 05-18-11, 10:00 AM
Thinktwice
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ohiois350
so what plug is it? auto level control plug? so the new headlight has two plugs wire harness? one big black and that small plug?
The plug is for the LED and turn signal. The 2 little leads in the connector are for the turn signal while the 3 beneath are for the LED. This plug is apart of the headlight assembly, so it just connects to another plug that actually plugs into the LED board and turn signal bulb (which the cap you'd have to get for the bottom contain the wires for).
Old 05-18-11, 10:54 AM
davidky808
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what covers did you need to buy? Only the circle for the bottom?

do all cars come with afs built in even if we have halogen headlights? since you have halogens are you using that function? Or is that extra work that needs to be done?
Old 05-18-11, 10:59 AM
Thinktwice
Pole Position

Originally Posted by davidky808
what covers did you need to buy? Only the circle for the bottom?

do all cars come with afs built in even if we have halogen headlights? since you have halogens are you using that function? Or is that extra work that needs to be done?
Anyone who has factory halogen doesn't have AFS.
Old 05-18-11, 12:41 PM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Thinktwice
The plug is for the LED and turn signal. The 2 little leads in the connector are for the turn signal while the 3 beneath are for the LED. This plug is apart of the headlight assembly, so it just connects to another plug that actually plugs into the LED board and turn signal bulb (which the cap you'd have to get for the bottom contain the wires for).
Ok got it now, so you remove the LED wire from that separate plug and relocate it to the big black harness? or that plug also have another male plug connector that connect to the black wire harness?
Old 05-19-11, 05:56 AM
Thinktwice
Pole Position

Ok got it now, so you remove the LED wire from that separate plug and relocate it to the big black harness? or that plug also have another male plug connector that connect to the black wire harness?
No, nothing is removed from that separate connector. Its hard to explain without a pic of the entire headlight assembled with everything connected. Do you already have a 2011 headlight(s) in your possession?
Old 05-19-11, 07:51 AM
ohiois350
Pole Position

No, nothing is removed from that separate connector. Its hard to explain without a pic of the entire headlight assembled with everything connected. Do you already have a 2011 headlight(s) in your possession?
not yet, iam tempting to get this headlights, how bright are they at night when low beam on? are they over kill the low beam output? I mean do you see only led a night
Old 05-19-11, 08:26 AM
Thinktwice
Pole Position

not yet, iam tempting to get this headlights, how bright are they at night when low beam on? are they over kill the low beam output? I mean do you see only led a night
They're bright, but I wouldn't say overkilll at night. You can clearly distinguish both the low beam and LED at night.
Old 05-19-11, 08:36 AM
ohiois350
Pole Position

now I am tempting to get the new lights or get the new CV3 for about the same price
Old 05-19-11, 09:19 AM
Thinktwice
Pole Position

now I am tempting to get the new lights or get the new CV3 for about the same price
If you've got the $$$ I'd get them at Sewell to save the headache, otherwise try to find some used ones on eBay for much cheaper if you wanna take on the relatively easy project. I love them personally, very much worth it IMO.
Old 05-19-11, 09:24 AM
davidky808
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thinktwice, if you disabled the drl's from the dealer, doesn't that mean you don't have power for the leds? I was thinking how some people wanted the leds dimmer at night and came up with drl's in the day and when you turn on your headlights, the parking lights can power the leds at the dimmer setting? I'm a little confused..
Old 05-19-11, 10:31 AM
Thinktwice
Pole Position

Originally Posted by davidky808
thinktwice, if you disabled the drl's from the dealer, doesn't that mean you don't have power for the leds? I was thinking how some people wanted the leds dimmer at night and came up with drl's in the day and when you turn on your headlights, the parking lights can power the leds at the dimmer setting? I'm a little confused..
Just keep in mind that disabling the DRLs meant turning off the dimmed high beam DRL function. Retrofitting the 2011 headlights to pre-2011 models wouldn't change that function, the high beams would still work as DRLs if not disabled. There's not a way to hook up the LEDs to work exactly the same way the DRLs did, so the alternative is to hook up the LEDs to work exactly how the parking lights do. The power for the LEDs come from the power source of the parking lights.

As far as the LEDs functioning at two different brightnesses, the way the LEDs in these headlights are setup is one wire is to power the dimmer intensity and another wire is to power the brighter intensity. So the trick is to figure out a way to have each wire powered separately and triggered when the low beam turns on. Not sure if that's possible though.

Last edited by Thinktwice; 05-19-11 at 10:36 AM.
Old 05-19-11, 10:58 AM
ohiois350
Pole Position

the one on ebay now is $799 a piece not much cheaper than sewell, hope some one just sell the housing like you bought for cheaper i will keep rearching
Old 05-19-11, 12:13 PM
Thinktwice
Pole Position

the one on ebay now is $799 a piece not much cheaper than sewell, hope some one just sell the housing like you bought for cheaper i will keep rearching
Yeah for that price you might as well get new ones from Sewell. There was someone here who recently got both via ebay for only $820 shipped believe.
Old 05-19-11, 12:22 PM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Yeah for that price you might as well get new ones from Sewell. There was someone here who recently got both via ebay for only $820 shipped believe.
yeah that person was lucky

Quick Reply: Pics of my '06 IS250 with 2011MY headlights w/ LED Strip