Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any updates?
Old 07-05-11, 06:58 AM
Thinktwice
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PNice972
Where is this wire? Are you talking about on the headlight harness??? I tried to tap the green wire into both the thicker white wire and thinner and they both didn't work.
Yeah he definitely wasn't referring to any of the wires in the headlight harness. I'm not sure which one he meant.
Old 08-13-11, 08:33 PM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

Does anyone know what size turnsignal bulb the 2011 headlights use?
I ask cause I have LED turnsignal bulbs that were expensive currently in my 2006 headlights that I'd like to transfer to the 2011 headlights.
Old 08-14-11, 12:01 AM
Rash
hmm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I asked brociouz before, he said its 7440 bulbs, I ordered some chrome bulbs, cant wait to get rid of the orange.
Old 08-14-11, 07:28 AM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

I hope so I have a 7443 bulb which is same fitment as 7440.
Thanks rashoodz
Old 08-14-11, 08:49 AM
c-low
Lexus Test Driver

wow thats looking
Old 08-16-11, 08:17 PM
kashmoney1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Originally Posted by Thinktwice
IMPORTANT note for anyone wanting to do this upgrade:

I've been wondering for the past couple weeks why my LEDs didn't seem so bright. I've finally figured out that since the 2011 model has two different LED intensities with these headlights, one for parking lights and one for DRLs, I must've made a mistake and wired it to work as the parking lights (which is the intensity when the low beams are on with the 2011 models).

First off, I made a mistake, there is no wire splicing involved. Disregard what I did with the red wire. The only wire that needs to be relocated in the connector for the higher intensity LEDs is the green one (no stripes) needs to be in place of where I have the thinner black one in the photo, and that's it - plug n play. Extremely simple upgrade as it turns out.

Below is an example of the passenger side with the parking light intensity and the driver's side with the DRL intensity. So if you go into a dealership and just turn on the parking light of a 2011 model, all you're getting is the lower intensity parking light LED (aka dimmer LED). However, the DRL intensity LED is BRIGHT, as in Audi bright!

I am currently attempting this upgrade at my Indianapolis Lexus dealership has got them to fit and all of the lights to turn on except for the LED strips and they cant figure it out. I have been attempting to relay information firom this thread and it is not working either. Any insight? Also once you place the green solid wire where the thin black wire is, where do you place the thin black wire when you move the green wire into its place
Old 08-16-11, 10:26 PM
hybridanim
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kashmoney1
I am currently attempting this upgrade at my Indianapolis Lexus dealership has got them to fit and all of the lights to turn on except for the LED strips and they cant figure it out. I have been attempting to relay information firom this thread and it is not working either. Any insight? Also once you place the green solid wire where the thin black wire is, where do you place the thin black wire when you move the green wire into its place
Move the thin black wire to the third hole. From the picture of the connection, its the 3rd empty slot over. Thats what i did and it worked like a charm.
Old 08-17-11, 10:03 PM
kashmoney1
Driver School Candidate

How are you guys removing the wires in regards to position? i.e. from the side with the rubber stopper, or pushing out the back side with the metal prong? Special tool?
Old 08-17-11, 10:20 PM
starknight
Lead Lap

looks awesome! great mod!
Old 08-18-11, 06:43 AM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

How are you guys removing the wires in regards to position? i.e. from the side with the rubber stopper, or pushing out the back side with the metal prong? Special tool?
I'd like to know too.
Old 08-18-11, 09:04 AM
kashmoney1
Driver School Candidate

So after days of trial and error, the lexus dealership finally got my headlights to fit and get all of the lights to turn on except for the led strips on both headlights. I had them switch the wiring to the same format as it is in this thread (thick green wire going to the thinner black wires space). After doing so, the LEDs still will not turn on. They checked for power and there is power going to the ballast. Sewell said they will exchange the pair, but does anyone have some insight before I switch them out?
Old 08-18-11, 11:28 AM
Thinktwice
Pole Position

So after days of trial and error, the lexus dealership finally got my headlights to fit and get all of the lights to turn on except for the led strips on both headlights. I had them switch the wiring to the same format as it is in this thread (thick green wire going to the thinner black wires space). After doing so, the LEDs still will not turn on. They checked for power and there is power going to the ballast. Sewell said they will exchange the pair, but does anyone have some insight before I switch them out?
They are doing something wrong then. This is incredibly easy to do. Literally, all that needs to be done is the green wire needs to be placed in the exact slot where I have the black wire (note: that slot is empty by default I believe, so that black wire isn't actually there like I have it pictured). So it's just one wire they're relocating, that's it. Make sure they're relocating the solid green wire, not the green wire with black stripe. And make sure they're putting it in the slot right next to the white wire with black stripe. If your parking lights worked before, they should now work as the LEDs. Power going to the ballast really doesn't have anything to do with the LEDs as that's for the low beam.

Also, by default the headlights (high and low) should work like plug n play. Even the turn signals and side markers will work, but the signals will flash rapidly as I later explain and need the 2011 flasher to resolve.

Last edited by Thinktwice; 08-18-11 at 11:57 AM.
Old 08-18-11, 11:35 AM
Thinktwice
Pole Position

You first need to remove the white retainer (pull straight out using needle nose pliers). After that, you need to use an extremely thin flathead screw driver (like those glasses repair ones) to lift up the piece right above the lead/prong holding the wire in place and pull the wire out from the other end.
Old 08-18-11, 11:50 AM
Thinktwice
Pole Position

Originally Posted by hybridanim
Move the thin black wire to the third hole. From the picture of the connection, its the 3rd empty slot over. Thats what i did and it worked like a charm.
Only thing with that is using the black wire will only give the LEDs the lower intensity, so they won't be as bright as they could be. That's why I suggested using the green wire instead, for the brighter intensity.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pics of my '06 IS250 with 2011MY headlights w/ LED Strip