Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can u help me to do this?
Old 05-24-11, 11:22 AM
Thinktwice
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fr0st
thinktwice has definitely given great progress so far, but i also agree with you. there has to be a way to dim during night.
I'm thinking the way to accomplish this is to add a 5-pin solid state relay to the harness to act as an automatic switch whenever the low beam is powered on.

In theory, the way it'd work is to connect both the bright and dim LED wires (green and black) to the relay along with a wire to connect into the parking light slot in the harness connector. The trigger to the switch would be a wire (and ground wire) connected from the low beam to the relay.

So with this setup 'parking lights on' would turn on the brighter LED (green wire), while 'low beams on' would automatically switch the LED to the dimmer version (black wire) via the relay. It's much simpler than it sounds.

I'm going to try doing this soon and will post for anyone interested.

Last edited by Thinktwice; 05-24-11 at 11:26 AM.
Old 05-24-11, 11:56 AM
MissLexus
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the way that looks! I had an audi with similar LED's that looked great, but I bought it that way. How long did it take to do this? I would probably need help if I tried to do something like that :-P
Old 05-24-11, 12:45 PM
Thinktwice
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MissLexus
I love the way that looks! I had an audi with similar LED's that looked great, but I bought it that way. How long did it take to do this? I would probably need help if I tried to do something like that :-P
To be honest it doesn't take long at all to do the upgrade. It took me a while simply because I didn't have all the parts to each headlight at first. Figuring out exactly what parts I needed and the correct wiring to get the LEDs working took me probably 3-4 hours total. It wouldn't take someone else that long however because I've included some key info in this thread.
Old 05-24-11, 01:24 PM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Thinktwice
I'm thinking the way to accomplish this is to add a 5-pin solid state relay to the harness to act as an automatic switch whenever the low beam is powered on.

In theory, the way it'd work is to connect both the bright and dim LED wires (green and black) to the relay along with a wire to connect into the parking light slot in the harness connector. The trigger to the switch would be a wire (and ground wire) connected from the low beam to the relay.

So with this setup 'parking lights on' would turn on the brighter LED (green wire), while 'low beams on' would automatically switch the LED to the dimmer version (black wire) via the relay. It's much simpler than it sounds.

I'm going to try doing this soon and will post for anyone interested.
I hope you could make it to work with the way the relay does, instead you wire the green wire to the parking light, why would you tried straight to ACC power fuse box, so every time the car turn on the LEDS go on as 100% bright and hook the black wire to the low beam, so when the low beam on it would trigger to black wire which only 50% of the bright? I hope you can work it out, before I order those lights
Old 05-24-11, 02:46 PM
pavelekPL
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I just got a passanger one for $275 now i need to find the driver side. In the meantime would be nice if someone would figure out how to keep LEDs running all the time, not by manually switching them on.
Old 05-24-11, 02:52 PM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by pavelekPL
I just got a passanger one for $275 now i need to find the driver side. In the meantime would be nice if someone would figure out how to keep LEDs running all the time, not by manually switching them on.
wow you lucky to get that price that what I would do too if I got those lights, it not hard to run the wire for that, like thinktwice mention the green wire is 100% bright, so all you have to run that wire straight to the acc fusebox, so every time you turn on your car the Leds come on as well, so you don't have to turn on manually, that what I would do if I couldn't find other solution to dim the leds
Old 05-24-11, 03:00 PM
pavelekPL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ohiois350
wow you lucky to get that price that what I would do too if I got those lights, it not hard to run the wire for that, like thinktwice mention the green wire is 100% bright, so all you have to run that wire straight to the acc fusebox, so every time you turn on your car the Leds come on as well, so you don't have to turn on manually, that what I would do if I couldn't find other solution to dim the leds
Yeah i actually wasn't plannig on buying them at all, but since i bought one(by an accident)eventually i'm gonna do the swap, and try to make them to work the way they should. Of course it might be a while before i'll find a good deal on the other headlamp cuz i'm not gonna spend $800 on a headlight alone.
Old 05-24-11, 03:05 PM
ohiois350
Pole Position

[QUOTE=pavelekPL;6414777]Yeah i actually wasn't plannig on buying them at all, but since i bought one(by an accident)eventually i'm gonna do the swap, and try to make them to work the way they should. Of course it might be a while before i'll find a good deal on the other headlamp cuz i'm not gonna spend $800 on a headlight alone.[/QU
but at least now you have one headlight to play with so i hope i put hand on one so i can try to make it to work as factory support to work? if it is not? i gather wire the leds straight to fuse box, so the leds will turn on when the car is on, at least daytime it function like 2011
Old 05-24-11, 03:13 PM
pavelekPL
Lead Lap

[QUOTE=ohiois350;6414793]
Originally Posted by pavelekPL
Yeah i actually wasn't plannig on buying them at all, but since i bought one(by an accident)eventually i'm gonna do the swap, and try to make them to work the way they should. Of course it might be a while before i'll find a good deal on the other headlamp cuz i'm not gonna spend $800 on a headlight alone.[/QU
but at least now you have one headlight to play with so i hope i put hand on one so i can try to make it to work as factory support to work? if it is not? i gather wire the leds straight to fuse box, so the leds will turn on when the car is on, at least daytime it function like 2011
Not a bad idea, i may tried that during the upcoming long weekend if nothing comes up.
Old 05-25-11, 03:13 PM
hybridanim
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, you still have to turn the parking lights on for the LEDs to turn on. The red wire I just left as is, but it'll still work without touching that wire. The green wire or black wire supply the power, but only one can be used at a time. I suppose in the 2011 model it just switches between the two. The only wire that needs to be relocated is the green wire if you want the brighter LEDs or the black wire if you want the dimmer LEDs, into the slot where I currently have the thinner black wire in the pic.
Where would you locate this thinner black wire, if the green wire is in that slot ( to have the brighter LED) ?
Old 05-26-11, 06:06 AM
Thinktwice
Pole Position

Originally Posted by hybridanim
Where would you locate this thinner black wire, if the green wire is in that slot ( to have the brighter LED) ?
Only one of the wires can be used at a time. If you want to use the green wire, you'd just leave the black wire where it already is originally. I'm working on a fix however to use a relay (SSR) to act as a switch between the two, with the low beam being the trigger.
Old 05-26-11, 07:03 AM
ohiois350
Pole Position

hope you could make it work like the way it should be
Old 05-26-11, 10:22 AM
hybridanim
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Only one of the wires can be used at a time. If you want to use the green wire, you'd just leave the black wire where it already is originally. I'm working on a fix however to use a relay (SSR) to act as a switch between the two, with the low beam being the trigger.
Thanks for all the help! totally appreciate it.
Old 05-26-11, 07:05 PM
PNice972
Lexus Test Driver

whats a good wire to tap for the ACC. i just got everything installed in my IS, i have a free day tomorrow and want to get the LED strip to turn on without turning on the parking lights.

Quick Reply: Pics of my '06 IS250 with 2011MY headlights w/ LED Strip