IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Car Got Keyed... Again

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-11, 11:18 AM
cloo7
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by decypher
From my own personal experience I feel for those of you that live/work in the city and don't have personal garage space. Everyday city life will take it's toll on paint, fenders and especially bumpers... People are ruthless. My ES' body/paint was pristine when I moved to Philly in 2004, in 3 years it managed to inherit a kicked in front passenger side quarter panel, a rusty ding resembling a phillips head screw driver to the hood above the driver's side headlight, a "V" keyed into the front passenger side, and of course bumper scratches from people who can't parallel park. In 2007 when I moved back to Jersey, I haven't earned one battle scar... The ****ed up thing is that I'm friendly with everyone.. I'm the dude in the neighborhood that people come to when they need a hand with a project/a tool etc... Sometimes I swear your car is just in the wrong place at the wrong time but other times I think maybe it was a jealous ex-girlfriend lol. Now if the car is brand new, that's just plain ****ed up!

If this kinda thing happens to your ride while it's parked at your crib-- Install a good alarm system or even install some night vision *IP based web cams that record to a RAID hard drive array system...

^^^ well said... In the end, I guess some people have a hard time appreciate things in general.
Old 04-18-11, 12:24 PM
A_Grasso
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup. I hate people like that
Old 04-18-11, 03:26 PM
djbugz
Pole Position

Yikes.. Sucks bad.. Hate seeing this stuff..
Old 04-19-11, 02:25 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by A_Grasso
Hey guys, so basically I woke up this morning and walked to my car to get something out and noticed on my passenger side front door, there was a long white streak. At first I thought it was dirt or something, but after taking a closer look I knew it was a key mark. The only place I went last night was a restaurant AND even parked close to the entrance. The key mark is about 6 3/4 inches . This is the THIRD time my car has been keyed since I got it in 2009. Seriously... whats wrong with people? Maybe I should just take the exhaust and some other things off temporarily to stand out less? I need your opinions guys... Re-paint or leave it?
Try polishing it or having someone polish it out with a compound using a orbital or rotary buffer, if that does not get rid of it try wetsanding then polishing before you repaint it or apply touch up. From the pics it looks like it can almost be made invisible or hardly noticeable with proper wet sanding and polishing.

Sorry to see this happen. I am not sure what is up with California but every time I see or hear about someone getting their car keyed or screwed with 90% of the time it is in California. Not sure if it is a cultural thing or just horrible parenting as to why this occurs so often in that state. It is possible though it was not someone keying your car but someone grazing it while riding a bike, someone carrying a tool like a weedwacker and it scraped against your car or some kid running around with a metal object and running into your car. Since this is not the first time I would set up a camera to get video of whoever is doing this.
Old 04-20-11, 02:56 PM
Azarro
Driver School Candidate

haters gonna hate. sucks though!
Old 04-20-11, 05:40 PM
A_Grasso
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UDel
Try polishing it or having someone polish it out with a compound using a orbital or rotary buffer, if that does not get rid of it try wetsanding then polishing before you repaint it or apply touch up. From the pics it looks like it can almost be made invisible or hardly noticeable with proper wet sanding and polishing.

Sorry to see this happen. I am not sure what is up with California but every time I see or hear about someone getting their car keyed or screwed with 90% of the time it is in California. Not sure if it is a cultural thing or just horrible parenting as to why this occurs so often in that state. It is possible though it was not someone keying your car but someone grazing it while riding a bike, someone carrying a tool like a weedwacker and it scraped against your car or some kid running around with a metal object and running into your car. Since this is not the first time I would set up a camera to get video of whoever is doing this.
Yeah I'm going to start looking at cameras. My body shop tried all of the above but it's still noticeable. He's gonna hook me up for a re-paint of the door for only 250. Still sucks though.
Old 05-01-11, 02:03 AM
PeneAce
Driver School Candidate

Why would anyone do that....I don't understand....Makes me reconsider all my upgrades...