IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Is it necessary to strictly follow Lexus Maintenance Schedule?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-11, 04:01 PM
freeflight
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is it necessary to strictly follow Lexus Maintenance Schedule?

This is a quote from my dealer's website for minor service. The front and back tires are different size on my car, what is the point of rotation?
So it is basically $155 for an oil change, not even Synthetic. Too much in my opinion.

I may just ask for a oil change, hopefully it costs less.

-----------------------
Lexus Minor Maintenance Schedule (at 5K,10K,20K,25K,35K,40K,50K,55K,65K,70K,80K,85K,95K,100K MILES) all models

-Change Oil & Oil Filter
(Some Vehicles require additional or Synthetic Oil) ask advisor for additional costs *see below
-Reset Maintenance Reminder Light
-Rotate Tires (if applicable) & Inspect Condition
-Set & Note Tire Pressure Including Spare
* Extends life of tires and can improve fuel economy
-Measure & Inspect Brake Linings / Drums
-Measure & Inspect Brake Pads / Discs
-Install Windshield Washer Solvent
-Inspect all Fluids and Top Off as Necessary
-Multi-Point Vehicle Inspection (see addl page)
-Wash & Vacuum Vehicle
-Perform Health Check
-Road Test Vehicle

Synthetic Oil Extra

$154.95
Old 04-12-11, 04:18 PM
SPNinjA
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No it's not. Most of the stuff they offer is BS anyways, like safety checks and lubing. I think there are several threads on here regarding this topic. I'm sure Kurtz can chime in on what really needs to be done at each service interval.
Old 04-12-11, 04:18 PM
wyee99
Pole Position

all you really need is an oil change. the rest of that stuff is pointless.
Old 04-12-11, 04:23 PM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

No need to follow the scheduled maintenance religiosly. There are specified as a recommendation point to perform a certain service to your vehicle. Mainly oil changes (5K) , air filter change(around 10K) , spark plug change (which is like 60K service). It should be in your manual.

You can pretty much check the rest yourself such as tire pressure, fluid levels, etc...

If you have RWD, no need to rotate if you have directional tire. They are staggered setup. Speaking of which, I better double check mine to see if the dealer rotated my tires.
Old 04-12-11, 04:24 PM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Jus ask for what need to be done. Usually jus oil change. Save yourself money on the inspecion part of that cost.
Old 04-12-11, 04:26 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

It's important to properly maintain your car.

That means performing actual scheduled maintenance on it, on schedule.

A close reading of the your owners manual will show you that there's actually very few things you do for scheduled maintenance.

When you call your dealer you should only ask for a price for THOSE things. Never, ever, ask for "the X miles" service because you'll get the same items done at triple the price.

For example at 10k miles the only thing you need done is an oil change.

That's $50 at my dealer.

The "10k service" is $150 though and gets you no actual extra work. Just a long list of "inspection" items there's never, ever, anything wrong with and that they'd notice if there were anyway during the oil change for free added to the paperwork.

What you ACTUALLY need to do:

Every 5k miles- Oil change (it doesn't need it anywhere near this often, especially with synthetic, but going by the book here); Rotate tires ONLY if you have an AWD model. RWD is staggered- so no rotation ever.

Every 15k- Check air/engine filters (you can change these yourself for free in about 5 minutes each if needed)

Every 30k- Change brake fluid; Change the engine/air filters if you haven't yet.

Every 60k- Change spark plugs

Every 100k- Change coolant.

That's it

Anything else is the dealer selling you crap you don't need.

regarding the oil change interval... 5k is "by the book" with non-synthetic.

UOA has shown you can realistically go 7500-10k miles quite safely in normal driving... and easily go 15-25k on a good synthetic (though I'd change the filter by 12.5k personally).

But it's up to you if you wish to use synthetic and if you wish to run longer OCIs than the manual suggests.

The other items (brake fluid, filters, spark plugs, coolant) I'd stick to the scheduled intervals.

Oh, and always turn down the "free" car wash. It's usually some dude making min. wage with a dirty rag he used on the last 20 cars leaving swirls all through your paint.
Old 04-12-11, 04:42 PM
skinfan2k
Rookie

Thanks Kurtz. I forget to get my tires rotated at the 5k, but is that a big deal? Also, some people say u should change your tires at 20k, is this true?
Old 04-12-11, 04:45 PM
nitrotang
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

If you need an oil change and live near Redwood City, I just found a Groupon deal for an oil change in another post: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-for-50-a.html
Old 04-12-11, 04:56 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by skinfan2k
Thanks Kurtz. I forget to get my tires rotated at the 5k, but is that a big deal? Also, some people say u should change your tires at 20k, is this true?
Rotating your tires just evens out their wear.. it's never "necessary" really but it'll extend the life of the tires if you're not running a staggered setup.

At to changing them at 20k... you should change them when they're worn out.

For some folks that's sooner than 20k... for others, well, I've heard of some running 25-30k, but not much past that on the stock tires and (generally poor) stock alignment.
Old 04-12-11, 05:00 PM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

If you have a RWD and directional tires, you don't need to rotate it. As kurtz mentioned, if you have AWD, then rotate them.

If you don't rotate tires on the schedule, it won't cause any major harm. You just end up wasting your tires. Rotating tires will allow your tire to wear better and save your hard earned cash.

If you have the default alignment from Lexus Specs, then your tire will probably last around 20K. That's because our cars have more toe-in and negative camber from the factory. If you want to prolong tire life, you can take it to a professional alignment shop and ask them to fix the toe. It's what is really killing the tires.
Old 04-12-11, 05:27 PM
Keppie
Lead Lap

I would also change the cabin filter. It is easy to forget, but when you see how dirty they get you are happy to have a new one.
Old 04-12-11, 05:30 PM
skinfan2k
Rookie

is the cabin filter, and engine filter all in easy reach?
Old 04-12-11, 05:49 PM
Numbahz
Driver

Interesting, I got my car preowned lets hope they put synthetic in. I guess to be safe I'll get that done after 5k since I got the car.
Old 04-12-11, 06:22 PM
SeanIS350
Pole Position

Very good discussion...

The last service I got was one of the larger ones where they go through that long list of inspection activities. They actually found that one of my rear calipers was seized and replaced it under warranty. To me, this made the expense worth it because I would have never noticed on my own.

Right now I'm at 48,000K, and due for a service. I'm actually thinking of getting them to do the long list of inspection activities again this time in case they can catch anything before my warranty expires.

What do you guys think? Is this a good strategy or am I wasting my money?
Old 04-12-11, 06:26 PM
E6BAV8R
Pole Position

is the cabin filter, and engine filter all in easy reach?
Extremely. It literally takes 10 minutes to change both, and that is if you are new at it. There are How-Tos here on the forum to do both. Just buy both from your favorite auto-parts store and vuala.

Quick Reply: Is it necessary to strictly follow Lexus Maintenance Schedule?