IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Should I really be surprised the dealership actually tried to screw me?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-11, 09:41 AM
Thinktwice
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Should I really be surprised the dealership actually tried to screw me?

So earlier this week I scheduled to have the 60,000 mile service done on my '06 IS250 at my local dealership. I researched a couple of other Lexus dealerships in my area (I have about 8 within 20 miles) to see what they include in their 60k service according to their websites. They basically all include the spark plugs and oil change and the other things vary. I went with mine because I've been satisfied with their service in the past and their 60k service included all of the main things I wanted done (spark plugs, oil/filter change, cabin air filter, engine air filter, brake fluid change).

So I drop my car off yesterday morning and get a loaner. My SA calls me in the afternoon to let me know my car was ready to be picked up. I go to pick up my car after work and proceed to pay ($489 + tax). I notice on the invoice that everything was done except for the spark plugs. So I go to my SA to find out what happened. He literally tries to convince me that the spark plugs aren't included in the 60k service because my car has iridium spark plugs that last 100k miles. He says it even says it in the maintenance manual that comes with the car and proceeds to get one to show me. He comes with the manual and sure enough, clear as day, it shows that spark plugs should be apart of the 60k service. He then tries to tell me that the footnote next to it means that spark plugs are only required for emission laws which only apply in CA. So I'm there arguing with him (in a nice way) trying to point out that their website clearly says spark plugs are included as part of the service and that I based my decision to get the service done on that fact. So he continues to tell me that they're not included in the service and they've never included them in the 60k service for the IS for anyone else. He offers to discount the total cost for me due to my "misunderstanding". He then gets his manager at my request. So I state my case to his manager since I know I'm clearly right. I don't care for the discount (only $60 mind you) on the service already done, I just want my spark plugs changed because that's one of the main reasons I had the 60k service done in the first place. He then tries to tell me that the website isn't always correct and the prices are subject to change. I then let him know that that's why I confirmed the price with the SA before I had anything done, in which I also signed something agreeing to pay $489 + tax for the service beforehand. He then says that he'll throw in the spark plugs if I pay for them ($125) and he won't charge me labor. 30 minutes later the manager finally gives in and agrees that they need to honor what's on their website.

So they gave me the loaner for another day ('11 RX350 which I'm actually starting to like). I'm supposed to be picking my car up this afternoon, but now I'm a little worried that they aren't even going to change the spark plugs and just tell me they did. I left a message on my SA's voicemail this morning requesting that they give me the old spark plugs so I can check the gap myself to see if it was even worth changing. I still haven't heard back from him 3 hours later which is odd as he's always gotten back to me fairly quickly in the past. Nonetheless, this is just another example of the dealership trying to get over on someone as they obviously thought that I had zero knowledge and would simply accept the BS they were trying to feed me.

Last edited by Thinktwice; 04-09-11 at 09:46 AM.
Old 04-09-11, 10:02 AM
HERBos
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

and thats the dealership!
Old 04-09-11, 10:10 AM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Wow that's crazy. You should find a good SA and build a relationship with them, it will reduce the likelihood of this happening again. Good call on requesting the plugs back. Now hopefully they give you yours back
Old 04-09-11, 10:23 AM
NickTomsyc
Pole Position

What are the odds you actually get YOUR old spark plugs back and not just some random ones?

That sucks.... at least you have 8 dealers within twenty minutes.... I have to choices, one is 120 mins away the other 150 mins.
Old 04-09-11, 10:27 AM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

This is why I always bring a camera crew with me to document any interactions with dealership staff.
Old 04-09-11, 10:39 AM
BlackFish8
Pole Position

Wow that's some shady business.
Old 04-09-11, 11:04 AM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

which dealership in NJ?

You also could have made a mark on the spark plug with a marker. and check it when you picked it up. that way you'll know for sure if it was changed. This is another reason why its a good idea to do research to find a local trusted mechanic. You could have gotten all the work done including the spark plugs for half that price.

on another note any issues you have with your dealer just call corperate and complain. I dont go to the dealer much but I dont take any crap from no one. last time the dealer try to get me for a carbon build up cleaning 6 months after I bought the car there. I just called corperate to complain how I just bought the car and now it needs a $250 carbon build up cleaning. corperate was very helpfull to me and they offer to give me a free cleaning if my CHECK VSC light ever came back on again.
Old 04-09-11, 12:20 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by flektone
You also could have made a mark on the spark plug with a marker. and check it when you picked it up. that way you'll know for sure if it was changed.
This is a very advisable tip, but not as applicable to spark plugs as they're difficult to access, and removing all the parts necessary to access the spark plugs then trying to get a marker down a 6 inch cylinder could cause headaches/future problems.

I'm about due for my 60k service, in about 1k miles, so I've started calling around to dealerships in my area for price quotes. I'm following the prevailing advice on the forums, which is to never ask for the "__k service" when you call a dealer, always ask for specifically the services that are recommended/required by your maintenance handbook. Therefore for the 60k service, I'm asking dealers their price quotes for oil change, tire rotation, brake fluid change, and spark plugs (I'll do the air filters myself, thank you). I'm also asking each dealer to break out exactly what is parts and what is labor. The reason is that 6 spark plugs from Sewell are $78, while I'm finding dealers are charging me $150 in many cases for the plugs. I can therefore save $72 just by bringing my own spark plugs.

If you ask for the "___k service", dealers will always charge you much more than the sum of the parts, because most people don't do their homework. Many people will just agree to the price, drop their car off, and pick it up when it's done, not caring what was actually being done and how much those services cost individually.

As an example of the duplicitous nature of dealers when it comes to this, I called one dealer and asked them how much each of the above services would cost individually, broken out by labor and parts, which they provided. I then got an email from a different service adviser that was auto-generated since in their system it popped up that I was due for my 60k service and they said to come in for it. I emailed back and asked for them to quote me a price on the 60k service and break it out by component service, each with labor and parts separate. Never heard back.
Old 04-09-11, 12:31 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

If one could access& mark the spark plugs, why would he not change it himself?
Old 04-09-11, 12:35 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

I have never done 15k, 30k, 60k services. On any car that i have owned in the last 12 years.
Just do what is obvious such as oil change, spark plug change, brake change, timing belt change.
Old 04-09-11, 12:44 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The "Service" is bull****! You can request certain services done individually. I'm even worried for you! Good luck!
Old 04-09-11, 01:17 PM
rhy
Pole Position

+1 for requesting separate services rather than going with the 60k.

But for $489, the dealer may have decided to package things differently. The 60k service at my local dealer for your car ('06 is250) is $932 + tax and includes spark plugs, oil/filter, both air filters, brake fluid + a long inspection list.
Old 04-09-11, 02:14 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

No. You should not be surprised that your dealership tried to make money of you. You have to look after your interests and they will look after theirs. You cannot expect them to look after the customers interests. But I am happy you caught them in the act.
Old 04-09-11, 03:08 PM
wyee99
Pole Position

Dealerships sometimes are difficult to trust and work with. I hope everything works out at the end though.
Old 04-09-11, 04:54 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Typical "stealership"; but surprisingly there are some "good" dealerships out there.

Quick Reply: Should I really be surprised the dealership actually tried to screw me?