i250 Lexus CPO Fraud

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-11, 07:07 AM
is250cpo
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i250 Lexus CPO Fraud

Hi all,
Wanted to get you opinion on my situation.
I bought a CPO 2008 IS250 in nov 2010. I moved out of state so I no longer go back to the original dealer for service. I just brought in my IS for the recall on the fuel pressure sensor and mentioned that there was something wrong with the windshield wiper fluid nozzle.

The new dealer told me that my car has been in an accident so he cannot honor the CPO warranty and will no fix the problem unless I pay for it. That was a shock to me that the car was in an accident. He said that I had new headlights, new bumpers and all new parts in the front, the hood is still original as it still has the VIN etched on it but it was most likely repaired as well. I do remember that when I bought the car the dealer actually pointed out a small gap between the front bumper and headlight, but checking the forums, it seemed like a common issue and since I was buying a CPO, I didn’t think too much of it.

I called my salesmen and he claims they would have never sold a car that was in an accident as a CPO and to bring in into their shop and they will honor the warranty.
Problem is I don’t live in the state anymore and frankly, I see that having this undisclosed accident repair would bring me more problems in the future when I trade it in.

I have only put about 2k miles since I bought it and have never been in an accident.

I have called lexus corporate at the suggestion of the new dealer and they are looking into the case.
From all your experience, what are my options? What should I do?

Ideally I would want to return the car and get something different all together, whether it’s another CPO or a new car. I added the clear film protector and just bought a set of brand new tires in January. Should they cover that as well?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-06-11, 07:13 AM
is250cpo
Rookie

Default LEXUS CPO Fraud

Wanted to get you opinion on my situation.
I bought a CPO 2008 IS250 in nov 2010. I moved out of state so I no longer go back to the original dealer for service. I just brought in my IS for the recall on the fuel pressure sensor and mentioned that there was something wrong with the windshield wiper fluid nozzle.

The new dealer told me that my car has been in an accident so he cannot honor the CPO warranty and will no fix the problem unless I pay for it. That was a shock to me that the car was in an accident. He said that I had new headlights, new bumpers and all new parts in the front, the hood is still original as it still has the VIN etched on it but it was most likely repaired as well. I do remember that when I bought the car the dealer actually pointed out a small gap between the front bumper and headlight, but checking the forums, it seemed like a common issue and since I was buying a CPO, I didn’t think too much of it.

I called my salesmen and he claims they would have never sold a car that was in an accident as a CPO and to bring in into their shop and they will honor the warranty.
Problem is I don’t live in the state anymore and frankly, I see that having this undisclosed accident repair would bring me more problems in the future when I trade it in.

I have only put about 2k miles since I bought it and have never been in an accident.

I have called lexus corporate at the suggestion of the new dealer and they are looking into the case.
From all your experience, what are my options? What should I do?

Ideally I would want to return the car and get something different all together, whether it’s another CPO or a new car. I added the clear film protector and just bought a set of brand new tires in January. Should they cover that as well?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-06-11, 07:29 AM
LexFather

Sometimes accident cars are sold CPO, depends on the damage. If you are upset that your CPO car was in an accident before that is another issue. Did you run any Autocheck/Car fax yet to see what the accident was?

If your car is CPO, sold CPO, then it is CPO no matter the damage. That means the dealer you took it too needs to honor the certification. Now a dealer can refuse work but this is why Lexus trusts its dealers do the right thing in regards to CPO. The problem is the new dealer is likely upset at the other dealer for making this car CPO. They now have to use their workers/labor to fix a warranty problem. Some dealers are also asshats when it comes to warrenty work for a car not bought at their dealership.

Lexus corporate has to tell the dealer honor the CPO car. If the CPO car is in that bad shape then the original dealer needs to make that right. However that is another can of worms.

Its upsetting sometimes to know your CPO car was in an accident but for now lets see how they resolve the fluid nozzle issue.
Old 04-06-11, 07:34 AM
crazybuggy
Racer

hmm... what color/year/vehicle do you have? awd or rwd?
Old 04-06-11, 07:35 AM
Keppie
Lead Lap

That dealer is in a bad spot. They either have inept people or lied. Either way they put you in a bad position. Tell them they can pick up because you don't feel comfortable driving their car. If you new local dealer has a nice CPO then tell the old dealer to work things out so you get another car. If teh new delaer doesn't have an acceptable alternative have the old dealer send your money. You have to get out of the old car. If the old dealer so much as flinches ride Lexus Corp hard. The soomer you get this resolved the better. Eat the tires and tint and if they ask you about paying mileage tell not to insult you.
Old 04-06-11, 07:38 AM
Devorkion
Driver

I looked at an IS350 that was CPO before I bought the one I had now.

The car had over spray on the headlight, trunk wasn't lined up, and the motor looked like it was dipped in a salt bath.

CPO to me is worthless if it is decided by a dealer to issue the certification.

You rely on the dedication and professionalism of a technician, and I have 0 faith in that.
Old 04-06-11, 07:38 AM
meangene
Lead Lap

I would look into their buy back certification program. Did you take the car to an independent body shop or pull a autocheck/carfax before purchasing the car?
Old 04-06-11, 07:41 AM
Devorkion
Driver

I would say they owe you quite a bit, you could easily ruin that dealerships reputation if you called up your local news station...im sure there is a hungry reporter looking for that kind of story....also, call a lawyer, ask their opinion...I would not play nice, they deceived you.

Once a liar, always a liar.
Old 04-06-11, 07:44 AM
mvlbr
Lead Lap

You should have asked "show me the Carfox"
Old 04-06-11, 07:50 AM
is250cpo
Rookie

Thanks for the feedback. The dealer did provide a 'clean' carfax but we all know those are not that reliable. Thats why i went with the CPO route in the first place instead of getting a similar non cpo that was on the lot for a much lower price.

I update lexus corporate but and i am angry at the fact they did not disclose the accident. The new dealer said this should have been easily detected during the 161 point inspection or infact any type of inspectino as the missing VIN on the new parts was a dead giveaway.

I'll post updates when I get them. Thanks again!
Old 04-06-11, 07:50 AM
viper522
Driver

That's a bummer dude. I think I'm in a similar situation. Bought a CPO and when I got it home I noticed the pass side headlight had a tiny chip on the edge (outside the seal thankfully) and the bumper didn't meet up perfectly. I looked closer and saw that there's little waves in the paint on the top face of that bumper corner like someone backed into it or something. But there's no cracking or paint chips. Hopefully that doesn't come back to bite me.
Old 04-06-11, 07:53 AM
is250cpo
Rookie

Thanks 1sicklex. The dealer did provide a 'clean' carfax but we all know those are not that reliable. Thats why i went with the CPO route in the first place instead of getting a similar non cpo that was on the lot for a much lower price.

I am angry at the fact that this was not disclosed as i would have not purchased the car. I would accept that a car could be in an accident but priced as a regular used car, not a CPO which gives the assumption that aside from minor bumps and dents that they can repair, the car should not have been in any accidents.
Old 04-06-11, 07:56 AM
is250cpo
Rookie

dont make the same mistake as me viper522. Take it to another mechanic to see if the car has been in an accident and then take it up with lexus. Good luck with your situation as well. Apparantly one easy check is to see that the parts still have the VIN etched on it, if it no longer does, that means it has been replaced.
Old 04-06-11, 07:58 AM
viper522
Driver

I wonder - did you buy the car in Florida, and if so, which dealer? Maybe we bought from the same place... that would show an ugly pattern.
Old 04-06-11, 08:01 AM
is250cpo
Rookie

I bought mine in Maryland.

Quick Reply: i250 Lexus CPO Fraud