IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

i250 Lexus CPO Fraud

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-11, 11:47 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

The CARFAX Buyback Guarantee protects you from unknowingly buying a used car with DMV-reported incidents (salvage, fire, flood damage, odometer problems or lemon history). This coverage lasts one year and is transferable.

http://www.carfax.com/manifest/bbg/r...cfx?source=CFX
Old 04-06-11, 12:17 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kickin8
The CARFAX Buyback Guarantee protects you from unknowingly buying a used car with DMV-reported incidents (salvage, fire, flood damage, odometer problems or lemon history). This coverage lasts one year and is transferable.

http://www.carfax.com/manifest/bbg/r...cfx?source=CFX
Hmm interesting but it sounds like thats only if the buyer buys the Carfax? It looks like it covers you for a year as long as you buy the carfax and keep the report. Most time your buying a CPO car, the dealer has the Carfax for you. Seems like maybe the dealer can claim this though if what im saying is true, and that way OP can get the money back for his car.

Either way, nice to know!
Old 04-06-11, 12:39 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

By the way, there seem to be two avenues here, the 2nd of which no one's talking about:

1) Try and force Lexus/the dealer to take back your car and refund your money (this is my recommendation)

2) Have Lexus call the dealer you took your car to for repairs and tell them to do the repairs.

I'm not really sure why a Lexus dealer would refuse to work on a CPO car because it'd been in an accident before. It doesn't cost them anything, they charge Lexus for the work and Lexus pays them. If Lexus Corp is saying the car is CPO, that means Lexus Corp is ready and willing to pay any dealership for any CPO-covered issue. So the dealership you're taking your car to shouldn't be giving you any flak, and DEFINITELY should not be refusing to do repairs.

I'm a little confused here by the dealer's actions.

Again, not advocating you keep the car or anything, just a realization.
Old 04-06-11, 02:41 PM
is250cpo
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks kickin8/ killais250 i'll def bring that up when i argue for the case of buying back my car with the carfax guarantee. The dealer should be able to handle that.

@Calvin the second option is doable, if i wanted to keep the car. I mean the car runs fine right now, but i see that i will have a problem trading the car or trying to sell myself down the road, anyone whos buying would be dinging me for the accident and i dont want to deal with that headache later. Who knows if there was frame damage etc. All the dealer did was take off the engine covers and saw that all the front components were not original parts and stopped there.

they claim that for CPO's if they replace a part, they have to return the defective part to Toyota/Lexus, if its not an original part, toyota will not reimburse the dealer for the work under the CPO.. I don't know if thats true or if they are just giving me a runaround and not wanting to risk eating the repairs because the car should not have been a CPO.
Old 04-06-11, 02:44 PM
is250cpo
Rookie

hmm the carfax terms are :The Claimant must have registered for the Buyback Guarantee within ninety (90) days of purchasing the Vehicle.

I doubt the dealer registered.. i know i didnt.

We'll see what happens
Old 04-06-11, 03:25 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

good luck and keep us posted!
Old 04-06-11, 04:34 PM
MiiK350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This same exact thing happened to me=/

Bought car from dealer A. Took car to dealer B for CPO stuff. Dealer B says can't repair light bc we have to send the part to corp and if they see the past accident condition they will not pay us. So they refused the work. Got a lawer that didn't know squat, but he at least got dealer A to cover my issues.
Old 04-06-11, 04:50 PM
Jmags
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When i bought my is250 i had to hide it for 3 weeks from the repo guy (no I didn't willingly take part in it)..
Old 04-06-11, 05:12 PM
Micaiah

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My concern is that someone may point the finger at YOU and say that YOU got into an accident between the time you bought it and the time you brought it in for CPO service.
Old 04-06-11, 05:50 PM
MiiK350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ thats what I was thinking for his case. But in my case, it was 3 days after I bought the car, and I found out it had 6 panels repainted.
Old 04-06-11, 06:46 PM
Keppie
Lead Lap

Not all states report to Carfax. As an example if you live in Utah (just a random state - I have no idea if they participate or not) and they don't report to Carfax then no record will show of an accident. If the same accident happened in FL (which does report to Carfax) then it will show.

If I were you I would call Lexus HQ and demand to speak with Mark Templin (head of Lexus US) and don't hang up until you reach him. Every day puts you at higher risk because if you get in an accident then dealer A will say the car wasn't like that when we sold it.

I would park the Lexus and rent a car until this is resolved. I would also ask dealer A to reimburse for the rental. If dealer B will allow it, leave the car at dealer B and tell Lexus HQ the car is at one of your dealers. Ask them when to expect a review and decision.

Sadly, one dealer can damage a brand reputation in a heartbeat.

You are in a great position to get this corrected.
Old 04-06-11, 06:51 PM
is250cpo
Rookie

Thanks, yeah i was wondering if they will blame it on me. we'll see how lexus and dealer A responds first. I'm going to park this car and see if i can leave it at dealer b the next time i talk to them when they call back about the case. great suggestions.
i guess getting a lawyer will be the last resort.
Old 04-06-11, 08:02 PM
Keppie
Lead Lap

If you get dealer B to put something in writing that can be sent to dealer A and Lexus HQ then this should be easy. You can also ask Lexus HQ to provide a loaner through dealer B until this is resolved. If dealer B continues to help you out I would buy a CPO from them. If they don't have what you want and you find it elsewhere I am sure Lexus HQ can arrange to have it brought to dealer B so dealer B gets credit for the sale. Even if it costs you a little more dealer B has been your friend. Attorney is last resort but I think Lexus HQ will want this to go away ASAP.
Old 04-06-11, 09:31 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the 2nd dealer seems to be at fault...The car could have simply had the bumper and hood repainted because they were not clear braed at purchase. Much like I will be doing. That does not mean ive been in a head on collision. Also who are they to say that new parts or resprays have anything to do which CPO? What if you wanted a custom paint job and what if you wanted do convert your head lights to the 2011s..thus new parts. They cant really prove that an accident happened unless they run the auto history check and if it shows nothing then they dont have much proof. The dealers will sometimes paint pannels to increase their resale price. For instance when i bought my RX both bumpers were repainted before i picked up the car as part of the deal. I think its right to say they are pissed that the other dealer CPOed it but its still CPO and they are ***** outta luck on that because corporate is going to come down on them hard.
Old 04-06-11, 09:51 PM
Micaiah

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by robertrios
They cant really prove that an accident happened unless they run the auto history check and if it shows nothing then they dont have much proof. .
I think the below might have something to do with it.

Originally Posted by is250cpo
He said that I had new headlights, new bumpers and all new parts in the front, the hood is still original as it still has the VIN etched on it but it was most likely repaired as well.

Quick Reply: i250 Lexus CPO Fraud