IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

i250 Lexus CPO Fraud

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-11, 08:02 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Devorkion
I looked at an IS350 that was CPO before I bought the one I had now.

The car had over spray on the headlight, trunk wasn't lined up, and the motor looked like it was dipped in a salt bath.

CPO to me is worthless if it is decided by a dealer to issue the certification.

You rely on the dedication and professionalism of a technician, and I have 0 faith in that.
CPO isn't worthless. The CPO inspection might be poor (as it was on mine), but the CPO warranty comes with a CPO car no matter what the quality of the technician or his CPO inspection was, and the CPO warranty is definitely not worthless. Some may want the CPO warranty, some may not. But the CPO warranty (which results from a CPO inspection, no matter what the quality of it was) is not worthless.

I just purchased a CPO car myself 2 months ago, and I've had some issues (issues not covered by the CPO warranty, miscommunication to me on the particulars of the warranty), but nothing to the degree you're having. If I was in your position, I would settle for nothing less than a new (different, not necessarily brand new) car. You need to be able to trade your car in to them for exactly what you purchased it for, and then you can use that money to go purchase a different car.

You're exactly right; not only does the accident cause issues now with getting problems with your car fixed (since dealers won't honor the CPO warranty you paid for), but it will cause you problems down the road as you'll get fewer potential buyers and less money for your car when you sell it.

Be firm with them, and insist on nothing less than trading your car in for exactly the same amount you spent to purchase it, then move on to a different car. This case is a fairly straightforward instance of fraud, and if Lexus does not make it right they're opening themselves up to a lawsuit. It should really be the dealer that fixes the issue for you, since it was their mistake and it reflects on them, but I understand you may have to work with Lexus since you're not near that dealer anymore.

Keep us posted on what happens, and sorry you've got the headache, but I trust you'll be able to make it right.

Just saw your above post - where in Maryland did you buy your car? I live in Maryland. I bought mine at Lexus of Rockville, and I've had my car serviced since then at Towson and Len Stoler.
Old 04-06-11, 08:05 AM
sphy1005
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The problem is the new dealer is likely upset at the other dealer for making this car CPO. They now have to use their workers/labor to fix a warranty problem. Some dealers are also asshats when it comes to warrenty work for a car not bought at their dealership.

Lexus corporate has to tell the dealer honor the CPO car. If the CPO car is in that bad shape then the original dealer needs to make that right. However that is another can of worms.
I'd be kinda scared they might halfass the repair if corporate has to tell them to honor the CPO...

If I'm not mistaken a "clean" Carfax could be anything as long as its not salvage/flooded etc...

Is there another dealer in your area that you can take it to. I have a dealer about 5 minutes from me but their service department sucks so I drive 45 minutes to another that has much better service and actually knows what they're talking about...
Old 04-06-11, 08:06 AM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Think you should either return the car somehow since u were lied to. Or if the car is fine they should refund you the additional amout you paid for it to be CPO.
Old 04-06-11, 08:15 AM
is250cpo
Rookie

Thanks
I agree that CPO isn't worthless..
I am going to push to get the price i paid with all the fees going towards as a trade in value for another car whether its CPO or new one, I may be leaning towards a new one based on this experience with CPO.
Mine was from rockville, but i will give the salesmen the benefit of the doubt for now that he did not know the car was in an accident, but someone there did know and that was fraud. Customer service wise, they have been good but we'll see how they or corporate handles this case before i say anything negative.
Old 04-06-11, 08:24 AM
viper522
Driver

Here is an older thread on this forum with some good info

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/mai...pre-owned.html
Old 04-06-11, 08:41 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Carfax doesn't show jack unfortunately

Interesting though that they would claim the CPO warranty void if the car had been in an accident. If the car had a salvaged title, then i could understand. But i've never had a problem or heard of anyone having a problem with a warranty claim having a past accident.

As far as Lexus buying you a new car goes, i don't know if they will go that far. I'm not sure how much dealers really check accident history beyond Carfax. Replacement parts doesn't always mean an accident, dealers will replace parts post CPO inspection if there's damage to a bumper or something that is better fixed by replacement. But if they replaced what is pretty much the front end, it might have been an accident.
Old 04-06-11, 08:47 AM
viper522
Driver

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
But if they replaced what is pretty much the front end, it might have been an accident.
Or maybe just a really really big, juicy bug!
Old 04-06-11, 08:51 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

I can totally understand why you are upset. I would take the matter to the Lexus Corp. and see what they say.
Old 04-06-11, 08:53 AM
is250cpo
Rookie

yes i completely agree and im weary of them doing a poor job for future repairs. I 'll see what the original dealer / lexus corp says first before i waste any more of my time bringing it to another dealer. The only thing is, the next 2 closest lexus dealers are all under the same owner, so i'm skeptical i would get a different treatment
Old 04-06-11, 08:55 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Good luck! From my past experiences with Lexus, they are usually pretty good about standing behind their products.
Old 04-06-11, 09:03 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

you need to call Lexus and ask if your car has valid CPO... if it does, then report your dealer for being not willing to work on CPO warranty.
Old 04-06-11, 09:04 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Who was your salesman at Rockville? And when did you purchase? I bought my car 2 months and 2k miles ago, so probably around the same time. Unfortunately to report, I also had a variety of problems buying from Rockville, including but not limited to misrepresentation and mischaracterization. The salesman would tell me certain things, then the finance guy would tell me another, or the finance guy would tell me one thing and the service guys would say another, and I'd usually have to sort it out on my own.

The finance guy I worked with had just switched to Lexus from Toyota and knew nothing about Lexus warranties, so he explained a whole bunch of things to me incorrectly. In addition, the CPO inspection checked off that there were no squeaks, noises, or rattles, and that all the weatherstripping and trim was good. The moment I drove the car off the lot for the test drive, the dash rattle started like crazy, and the weatherstripping near the windshield and the trunk spoiler were all coming loose. I've no idea how it passed the CPO inspection with all of that. I trust that Lexus techs aren't completely incompetent, and they certainly know more than I do, so at some point someone signed off on a car that they knew wasn't up to proper CPO spec.

Ultimately I bought the car, and they ended up replacing the windshield trim, trunk spoiler, and performed 2 dash rattle TSIBs multiple times. This was all free of charge to me, but it should have been done before the car was placed on the lot for sale.

I was very unhappy with my purchase experience with Rockville, so I'm not surprised to hear you had a similarly unfortunate experience. However, after the purchase both my salesman Andy and my service adviser Joel both went out of their way to try and make things right with me, even delivering the car to me personally up in Baltimore. I trust that you'll be able to get this made right. Definitely want to know what happens with this.

And hold off on doing any surveys or questionnaires they send you until AFTER all this shakes out.
Old 04-06-11, 09:06 AM
meangene
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by viper522
I wonder - did you buy the car in Florida, and if so, which dealer? Maybe we bought from the same place... that would show an ugly pattern.
Viper what dealer did you buy your car from?
Old 04-06-11, 09:49 AM
Devorkion
Driver

Carfax is useless.

Run an autocheck on the car.

I bet it shows up.

The CPO Lexus I was looking at showed an accident on Autocheck, not Carfax.

Also, Dealers use CPO as a way to push substandard cars off of their lot.

Granted, this is not always the case. But, how the hell does a 160 point inspection not detect accident damage? C'mon......

I would be causing racket if I were you, just my opinion.

If you don't push hard, they are going run you over, again.
Old 04-06-11, 10:54 AM
is250cpo
Rookie

thanks all,

@killais250 / viper - I'm not looking to get a new car as a replacment, just saying want my full price back or at least applied as a trade in for whatever car i get whether it be a new one or another CPO.
i know what you mean, one headlight may have meant a defect or a rock from the highway, but both headlights and the bumper and additional parts seems a bit much to not disclose for a cpo.

@calvin - i also had minor issues with the car, but like you they paid for it but it was more annoying that all those were not taken care off before hand and now this... I dont think we had the same guys for both sales and service. its starting to sound like its common practice over there, i wouldnt think that a cpo shoudl have all those trim issues you had either.

@devorkion - i will keep autocheck in mind if i need to prove that i wasnt the one that had the accident and yes i agree that carfax is useless..I'm going to stand firm on returning the car, what car i get as a replacement i dont care as much but i will want all my intial costs and fees and tires and 3m film reimbursed or i will have to contact a lawyer or the local news agencies

@stig / SPWolf - the lexus corp has confirmed that its a cpo and they are looking into it. i'll keep you all posted on the updates

Quick Reply: i250 Lexus CPO Fraud