IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Has anyone ever gotten a TSB fixed when they were not under warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-11, 07:38 AM
Jmags
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Has anyone ever gotten a TSB fixed when they were not under warranty?

For FREE that is..

I just wrote a letter to my lexus dealership asking them if they'd fix the dash rattle, even though I'm out of warranty..

Hi there,
I’m a new(ish) lexus is250 (2007) owner. I’ve been in for a recall to the dealership recently and am very thankful to you for making it a superb experience. Today I’m writing you to ask if a couple problems with the car are still covered or not.
Right now, there is an rattle sound that comes from the front dashboard, when cold or when hot. I’ve read up on the problem and it appears the clips that were used to install the windshield/dashboard that were used are the problem.
The previous owner complained of this problem back in 3/5/2007. I’m not sure if it was fixed or not, because the TSB for the dashboard rattle didn’t come out till 2008.

Here’s the info:
TSIB#
L-SB-0044-08
July 30, 2008
Instrument Panel Rattle
Service Category
Vehicle Interior
Section
Interior Panels/Trim

My Car vin:
JTHxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I understand that my car is not under warranty, however I was wondering if lexus would still cover this for a couple reasons.

1. It has been mentioned in the past service records and obviously was not fixed because the noise is still there.
2. This noise/rattle is the only thing that is a disappointment with the car.

Honestly, I’ve been a chevy/ford guy my whole life, and with those car brands I expected rattles as they aged. However one of the things I specifically heard about lexus/Toyota/infinity/acura was that there would be no issues like this. I’ve read up on the repair and know that it’s somewhere around 1200 dollars for a customer if he/she has to pay for it.

At this point I’d be very wary of buying another lexus in a few years if I’m just going to end up paying more upfront for a car and I end up with the same old ford/chevy experience as far as inside dash/door panel rattle goes.

Please let me know if lexus will cover this issue,
Thanks for your time

I figured I'd give it a shot, this noise is hands down the worst thing about the car... I'm thrilled to own it, but on my chevy message board.....while people were giving me **** for going to an import... one of the specific things I said I wanted from a newer car was NO INSIDE RATTLES. Then I went on to say how this is what Ive heard and expected from a lexus. No inside noise, no rattles, etc.

Imagine how much my heart sank when I got in the car (after the honey moon stage where I didn't hear anything) and I heard this noise.....

What do you think? Any chance at getting it done free? I've got 60k on the odo.
Old 04-03-11, 11:18 AM
kinglexus99
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think is a possiblity if you're writing to the right dealership. In the end it is going to come down to how much they appreciate your business and value you as a customer. I say if you don't get the response you want from one dealership try sending the same letter to another until you get the response you're looking for.

FYI ALL cars are going to have creeks and rattles from time to time its just natural when metal, rubber and other materials expand/contract. While a Lexus should haave the least amount of issues they're still going to be apparent.
Old 04-03-11, 12:08 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

There have been a few people who have, but its only generally when they just got out of warranty. Ex: one month after warranty expires, less than 51k miles
Old 04-03-11, 02:02 PM
Jmags
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by nixx621
I think is a possiblity if you're writing to the right dealership. In the end it is going to come down to how much they appreciate your business and value you as a customer. I say if you don't get the response you want from one dealership try sending the same letter to another until you get the response you're looking for.

FYI ALL cars are going to have creeks and rattles from time to time its just natural when metal, rubber and other materials expand/contract. While a Lexus should haave the least amount of issues they're still going to be apparent.
I agree all cars will......however if you've experienced this, it's like 10 times worse of a noise than both my ford and chevy products as far as the dash is concerned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsaPIoEnB7g
Old 04-03-11, 02:03 PM
Jmags
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by edgeucated
There have been a few people who have, but its only generally when they just got out of warranty. Ex: one month after warranty expires, less than 51k miles
Yeah, I figure it's worth a shot, but I'm not gonna be upset if they turn me down.
Old 04-03-11, 02:45 PM
khoab88
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re

Originally Posted by Jmags
Yeah, I figure it's worth a shot, but I'm not gonna be upset if they turn me down.
Realistically, they will turn you down.
Old 04-03-11, 03:01 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 583 Likes on 393 Posts

I have a similar rattle, but it's actually coming from the gauge cluster bezel, not further up on the dash like some of the older cars had.

Jeff
Old 04-03-11, 04:00 PM
Pnthrzrule
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Jmags,

I had the issue where my dash would make a loud snap/popping noise every time I hit even a small bump. It was very annoying and I took it to the dealer...they had to remove the dash and do something. I wasn't too keen on them removing the entire dash...and steering wheel...but when I got it back the popping noises stopped...at least they stopped over bumps. I still get a few pops every now and then but they aren't nearly as frequent. Btw...the reapair was covered under the TSB for dash popping. I tried to locate the actual pdf of the TSB; however, I was unsuccessful. I know it existed at some point because that's where I got my idea to have Lexus fix it. Also, some TSB's are good for like 70k depending upon the actual TSB. Good luck!!!
Old 04-03-11, 05:55 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

infinti* would be the correct spelling, and im not sure why toyota is grouped into those other than because they own/make lexus? I thought tsbs and recalls were always done even after warranty but maybe thats just the case with recalls.
Old 04-03-11, 06:06 PM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

how far out of warrenty are you? I would just call corperate and complain. My car is out of warrenty and I got a free carbon build up cleaning coming down the road. I just called and complained to corperate.
Old 04-04-11, 05:47 AM
Jmags
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by flektone
how far out of warrenty are you? I would just call corperate and complain. My car is out of warrenty and I got a free carbon build up cleaning coming down the road. I just called and complained to corperate.
I'm at 60k miles. Not out of the 5 years yet though..
Old 04-04-11, 09:01 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When and where did you purchase the car? At what mileage?

I bought my 2007 IS350 2 months ago, it had 56k miles so it was out of warranty. However just a week after I bought the car the dash was rattling like crazy, so I took it back to the dealer I BOUGHT IT FROM and they fixed it for me for free as a goodwill thing. So if you bought the car somewhat recently you may be able to take it back to that dealer.
Old 04-04-11, 09:45 AM
Jmags
Lead Lap

I bought it from a private seller, that's why I'm pretty sure I'm F'd

This is a road I drive to get to work.......it's about what 50% of our roads up here in CT look like.

I did NOT hit those big *** potholes, I've been dodging them for years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c25iMhPItto
Old 04-04-11, 09:47 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

if you talk to them in a nice way, they might do that for you...

good luck
Old 04-04-11, 05:55 PM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Jmags
I bought it from a private seller, that's why I'm pretty sure I'm F'd

This is a road I drive to get to work.......it's about what 50% of our roads up here in CT look like.

I did NOT hit those big *** potholes, I've been dodging them for years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c25iMhPItto
I dont know if mine's that bad. I definitely notice is more in the cold when I first start driving. then I think it goes away once the car is heated up and the dash expands. does it sound the same in the summer? I heard another memeber tucked some foam padding behind that dash and that fixed it. Im going to try that myself

Quick Reply: Has anyone ever gotten a TSB fixed when they were not under warranty?