IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Asked for Lexus Glass, Got chinese aftermarket...

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-11, 08:25 PM
doneright
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Get something free??????????

Originally Posted by patrick323
THanks jeff. BTW If you still get parts I'd like to buy another pair of front brake pads (I can DIY now) and give you back the old (as I think they were lifetime warranty-just send back...right?).

You would think someone driving a Lexus would have a little more style than always wanting a free lunch.
Old 04-02-11, 08:32 PM
mvlbr
Lead Lap

If the insurance was going to pay you should have just gone straight to the dealer instead of going to these independent shops. I should know since I've had mine replaced twice at the dealer. BTW it was about 1200-1300 each time for glass and installation.
Old 04-02-11, 08:41 PM
Micaiah

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Mr Doneright, I have a few questions if I may:

1. I am aware that with the gel there is the risk of the glass cracking due to the procedure of the injection. According to Patrick, (please correct me if I am wrong) the employee was carrying on a conversation and smoking to the point of squinting his eyes. Was the employee reprimanded or retrained in regards to this?

2. Is it a possibility that if the employee was not distracted by such, that the window would not have broken?

3. Do you accept responsibility for the actions or results of the actions of your employees?

4. Why did you use the water on him?

5. Are you will to be responsible for anything of his that may have been damaged due to the water, such as any electronics that he may have had in his pockets?
Old 04-02-11, 08:42 PM
ddhleigh
Pole Position

Well at least we got doneright's side of the story. Was a bit surprised to see him show up here too.
Old 04-02-11, 08:47 PM
Micaiah

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by doneright
You would think someone driving a Lexus would have a little more style than always wanting a free lunch.
Okay another question:

What does driving a Lexus have to do with the way he reacted for feeling what he deems is unfair? And why are you saying that he is always wanting a free lunch?

The window was broken beyond repair by who he feels is a negligent employee and you are giving him the impression that he doesn't have the right to an OEM replacement.

Of course he is upset. Of course he will want OEM. That's not a free lunch, that's what was on the car to begin with.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please note that I am not trying to challenge you, it's just that this post by you is ludicrous albeit nonsensical. I am trying to understand.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And to answer your question, since the breaking of the glass due to the process of applying the gel is so rare, as a business owner I would bite the bullet and replace it with the Lexus (from the dealership) glass. At the most (as you say) 2k is peanuts compared to the business lost by his demonstrations in front of your store as well as being spread all over the internet. That's what I would do to save my business. I would also have a little chat with my employee about smoking near a customers car and chatting with a friend while on the clock.

Last edited by Micaiah; 04-02-11 at 08:53 PM.
Old 04-02-11, 08:59 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Micaiah
Okay another question:

What does driving a Lexus have to do with the way he reacted for feeling what he deems is unfair? And why are you saying that he is always wanting a free lunch?

The window was broken beyond repair by who he feels is a negligent employee and you are giving him the impression that he doesn't have the right to an OEM replacement.

Of course he is upset. Of course he will want OEM. That's not a free lunch, that's what was on the car to begin with.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please note that I am not trying to challenge you, it's just that this post by you is ludicrous albeit nonsensical. I am trying to understand.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And to answer your question, since the breaking of the glass due to the process of applying the gel is so rare, as a business owner I would bite the bullet and replace it with the Lexus (from the dealership) glass. At the most (as you say) 2k is peanuts compared to the business lost by his demonstrations in front of your store as well as being spread all over the internet. That's what I would do to save my business. I would also have a little chat with my employee about smoking near a customers car and chatting with a friend while on the clock.
+1 ...

Sounds like the employee was careless. Smoking on the job and talking while doing delicate glass work does not sound like a good combination...
Old 04-02-11, 09:20 PM
pavelekPL
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

He is blaming us for breaking the windshield not the rock!
Because of the work you performed the windshield broke. That pretty much means you broke it.
But now he wants us to pay for the windshield not the insurance company.
He should've requested that from the very beginning.

I'm sorry but i'm with the OP on this one. From what i read you did a crappy job and now dont want to take a responsibility for your actions.

Last edited by pavelekPL; 04-02-11 at 09:24 PM.
Old 04-02-11, 09:37 PM
doneright
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Micaiah
Okay another question:

I picture people who drive a Lexus as someone who has made good decisions in their life. Someone who should be able to afford to pay for things they want.

There are two examples of his free lunch lifestyle posted on this thread.

1. He has already received a free windshield and is still not satisfied. He wants me to pay him directly (extortion) not the unlucky company that finally does his installation.

2. The free brake pad post shows he has nothing better to think about but how to get something free. Most likely he did not change or turn the rotors when he changed his own brake pads. Therefore he should not be entitled to a free set of brake pads. Whatever you do, don't question him on this or he will put you out of business.

I think he probably runs up behind someone buying a sandwich to see if he can use his buy one get one free coupon.

Last edited by doneright; 04-02-11 at 10:09 PM.
Old 04-02-11, 10:17 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,410 Posts

I picture people who drive a Lexus as someone who has made good decisions in their life. Someone who should be able to afford to pay for things they want.

1. He has already received a free windshield and is still not satisfied. He wants me to pay him directly (extortion) not the unlucky company that finally does his installation.

2. The free brake pad post shows he has nothing better to think about but how to get something free. Most likely he did not change or turn the rotors when he changed his own brake pads. Therefore he should not be entitled to a free set of brake pads.
Doneright,

Based on some of your comments here and your alleged aggressive actions towards Patrick in person, I think you're doing a fine job of digging a pretty decent hole for yourself both professionally and personally. Your comments above seem to imply you think all Lexus owners are moneybags that can just pay for your employee's error.... not a great way for you to win hearts and minds on a Lexus enthusiast forum.

You also seem to think he's looking for something for free and extorting you... he's been very clear that he just wants his windshield fixed back to the same OEM quality glass as when he first brought it into your shop. The cheapo replacement that got put in there has what sounds like some very visible flaws in it.

Based on your alleged personal assault (verbal and liquid) I think his asking to get you out of the loop of the next windshield fix effort is a pretty reasonable thing for him to want to do. If I were in his place I'd also want to limit any future dealings with your company, get it fixed and move on from this issue too.

The brake pad comments have nothing to do with the issue at hand and it's pretty obvious you're reaching at any item you can find to cast dispersions; I'd ask you to please stay on topic of why your employee made a promise to Patrick regarding the replacement glass which you did not live up to.

I think he probably runs up behind someone buying a sandwich to see if he can use his buy one get one free coupon.
Knock off the personal insulting commentary please (the last 'sandwich' line you edited to add above) - that's a violation of our forum terms of service you agreed to follow when you joined our community.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 04-02-11 at 10:44 PM.
Old 04-02-11, 10:22 PM
doneright
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mvlbr
If the insurance was going to pay you should have just gone straight to the dealer instead of going to these independent shops. I should know since I've had mine replaced twice at the dealer. BTW it was about 1200-1300 each time for glass and installation.
Dealers have you guys so suckered. Dealer pays $100 for the windshield and pays me $150 to install. And they have you convinced that we are the bad guys.
Old 04-02-11, 10:26 PM
Thinktwice
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm... so the plot thickens. Now that I've heard the owner's side I'm less sympathetic toward Patrick. If what Doneright says is true, Patrick appears to have been a bit unreasonable. If a waiver truly was signed, then you can't be upset if that 1/500 chance just so happens to you if you knew it was a possibility.

Nevertheless, hosing someone with water is UNACCEPTABLE and CHILDISH!!! You should be ashamed for stooping to that level. If you were so upset with what he was doing you should've stood out there with a sign right next to him stating your opposition.
Old 04-02-11, 10:49 PM
slidingIS
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2. The free brake pad post shows he has nothing better to think about but how to get something free. Most likely he did not change or turn the rotors when he changed his own brake pads. Therefore he should not be entitled to a free set of brake pads. Whatever you do, don't question him on this or he will put you out of business.

ok let me help make this clear for you as you dont seem to understand the dilemma.

1) yes he has received a free windshield but it is a low quality piece of glass. therefore he would like an OEM windshield put in. And if this L brand you speak of is truly the same then why is it wavy? i have never seen a piece of glass stamped with the Lexus logo that is wavy. That is because OEM Lexus glass is held to a higher standard. I can guarantee this because i have worked at an autoglass shop and know that there is a difference between cheap glass and quality OEM glass.
Now he wants you to pay for the glass because he will/is most likely paying a more repitable shop or dealership to order him the correct OEM glass and having them install it. And when it is paid out of pocket his insurance rates will not rise. which they shouldnt have to in the first place because of irresponsible employee.

2) you should be proud that you are the only person who owns an autoshop and has no idea that you can get brakepads with a lifetime warranty. Almost every company that makes brake pads offers a lifetime warranty. And guess what happens when they wear out?(and yes they wear out due to friction from stopping a 3500 pound beautiful piece of machinery on a daily basis over a period of time... i hope that didnt just blow your mind) they use what they pay for the lifetime warranty and get another set.

and while you read this and are letting all of this sink in dont make assumptions that because we own a Lexus means we can afford anything we want. I paid for my first Lexus on a minimum wage salary and thank God for their reliability otherwise i wouldnt be able to afford the cost of fixing it.
Old 04-02-11, 10:52 PM
patrick323
Lead Lap

I've publicly told you I do not want to speak to you. Even indirectly through this site. I want nothing to do with you other than compensation for my windshield that your distracted worker broke. What started as a question/story on this site turned into mini drama then a slightly bigger drama then you come and want to take it yet further. This, sir , is not something you want to do. I really do NOT WANT to write 3 pages in response to your ill-timed, ill-educated, ill-placed comments. BUt, sorry people! Abandon all hope ye who continue to read here!

To respond to a few things (Most absurd first):
Free brake bads/free lunch?

1. I purchased a set of LIFETIME brakepads from a FRIEND in the area. He is one of this boards MOST experienced and trusted members. The pads wear down.....Send them back and get a new pair. He is merely the person who puts in the order. So, I am going to PURCHASE a new pair. Give him the old worn down ones....so that I'm in a constant cycle of free brake pads (AN OFFER BY THE MANUFACTURER). What now?

2. About my third claim being a lie. Do you deny the fact that we had a conversation which basically consisted of me saying "i dont like you, you dont like me, do it, do it right, be done with it but i will be watching carefully and i want it done AT YOUR LOCATION (which you refused and an option for which YOU WOULD HAVE BEEN PAID FOR BY INSURANCE)? This is a rhetorical question please do not answer. You said yes, You apologized for the trouble. You put in necessary info to state farm to order that next glass (OEM WHICH THEY HAVE NOT ONE ISSUE PAYING FOR). You said you would call me back with a time for the next afternoon. THen one hour later (maybe less) you called me and said and i quote "Yeah, I really don't feel like getting into a $1,200 windshield job." THAT is refusing to do work that you were supposed to do and would be paid to do when you shoulve done it right for free to begin with despite what you THINK you may know about why it went wrong. Thankfully for you only "1 in 500 (or is it 1 in 300 like you told the police friday?) go wrong and you dont have to pay out left and right since you hire people who dont do their job correctly. THen you may as well not even have a business.

3. Lexus owner, Prius owner, Yugo owner, ******box galore owner, ALL OWNERS. This has nothing to do with any topic at hand. AFFORDING something has nothing to do with anything. I sensed insinuation of me being some kind of classless bum for not just paying for it since I can afford a Lexus? When someone comes in with a car they payed 37k for with modifications (some clearly seen some not) that pretty much are as much as the car cost....dont you think perhaps that is THE EXACT customer to treat the best? Again, rhetorical do not answer.

4. I change my rotors when they need changed. I do not turn my rotors. If they are so bad that they need turned or if they are below the recommended thickness.....i get new rotors. If you care to browse these forums you might learn something about automobile maintenance and brake jobs and about turning rotors. Really, look it up. It will help your business. You ARE the guy that scams many of our people on this site into paying for things that shouldnt or dont need to be done. You've proven that with your rotor comment. Your'e "that crooked brake guy" that makes so much when I can do it the proper way for far far less.

5. I did receive a free windshield. A piece of crap made by underpaid workers in outsourced chinese factories. I should have the excellent , high quality one I originally had from a country notorious for excellence and perfection in all aspects of their culture. If you think for one second that a lexus certified windshield is ultimately only worth $100 then I question your knowledge despite it being more than my own. Even i know that sure, glass itself is cheap. The material of glass is not expensive. But that's not even a fraction of what the money is for. The only question is what kind of fun over the top things am i going to do to the p.o.s. after it's off and in my hands?? I admittedly, will take pleasure in destroying the property you, in a sense, gave me out of your pocket since you REFUSED TO DO FURTHER WORK and told me "i'll bite the bullet and suck up the cost of that glass." Perhaps a baseball bat? Perhaps throwing it off a tall object? Sledding with it maybe? I know. I'll charge people a dollar for 1 swing with a battle ax and make some more cash.

6. Style? Your'e commenting on my STYLE? To come to a site like this the way you are, in this messed up of a situation, is certainly a style alright but brother you have the wrong style!!! I have a beautiful lexus with 8 tvs, and a sound system that will make you **** yourself and all this is worth as much as you might make in 7-12 months (i only speculate on or income which is not classy of me but look at what your'e doing to me, your customer). What do you drive? Enough said. Style topic. Check!

7. Lawyers? HIRE ANY LAWYER YOU CAN AFFORD if you truly feel you have any sort of case of any kind but i wouldnt go spending too much if your'e hoping for the best. You might find that you'll, in the end, be out EVEN MORE money. Potentially lost business due to word of mouth (which you obviously have no concept of), damages, possibly civil suits, etc. etc. THINK MAN

8. "Extortion, outwresting, and/or exaction is a criminal offense which occurs when a person unlawfully obtains either money, property or services from a person(s), entity, or institution, through coercion." There is nothing UNLAWFUL about demanding payment for broken property. I do not ask for anything more than it costs me for the window, all molding, and labor from someone else. Not a penny less. Not a penny more. It again shows your level of experience in such matters and your level of education on such topics if you consider anything I've done to be extortion or against the law.
I believe it may be illegal to publicly announce someone as a "con artist" or an "extortionist." Your'e the business with review requests on websites. Not me. I'll have to look into that legal liability too. Personal slander, I dont know, have to investigate (yet another, ugh). I havent personally attacked your character. Only your bad business practice (to me). Add another to the list , chief.

9, Yelling profanity??? You sat there screaming in my face as i told you I dont want to talk to you or listen to you as i walked away. You said "but i can say whatever I want" to which I replied "and I dont have to react" My memory is like an elephant man, you cannot recreate events that did not occur haha.
I did shout ONE "profanity" in chant form 2 times "TRIPLE A GLASS SUCKS MY ***" after the bad hosing.

10. I dont want you to go out of business. Not at all. i wish you riches and glory and warm fuzzies. I want the cost of a lexus windshield plus the cost of whoever I CHOSE TO INSTAL IT charges. nothing more! Nothing less! At this point. I'm thinking may be the lexus dealer is the best option no?????? Maybe i could settle for an independent PROFESSIONAL KNOWN FOR GLASS WORK ON HIGH END CARS but that "settlement " on who does labor sure does change as the time passes. Again you PUBLICLY IN A DOCUMENTED WAY announce me to be a federal criminal. Extortion further? I'd prefer drive down 288 up 35 to University to get to CVS beside you rather than pass by your dirty establishment (literally and figuratively)

Someone commented about electronics in my pocket being hosed down. Good point. Thank you , business owner, for prompting this other gentleman to say this. I had my 2 day old iPhone 4, my lexus electronic key (I'm not sure about that cost, but, YOU WONT LIKE IT if you have to cover it) and quite a lot of cash on me. Fortunately cash dries. I'm not so sure that a phone or electronic key or any residual adverse effects these delicate expensive electronics might have even a day or two after being drenched in water. It might just go bad a short time after getting soaked? who knows????

ULTIMATELY (main thesis if you will)

Here's what I have in my potential arsenal:
* First and probably of most concern to you: The ACLU (American Civil liberties Union) handles issues of impeding on one's civil rights (to lawfully protest). They do take on civil lawsuits.
*The local media (all college newspapers where many students come to you (twu, unt), fox news, the denton daily chronicle, and any other local media source) love stuff like this. people love drama actually (some dont and dont like this thread. Even I'm tired of it)
*it was verified to me BY the police that you did, indeed commit a "class C assault." I dont know if you have a criminal record but you might soon IF I CHOOSE FOR YOU TO HAVE ONE !!!!!!!!!
*I am in the process of lining up a good large number of friends, colleagues, and any random person I can find (I need only drive thru campus and ask some college kids if they wanna have some fun protesting) to come and protest WITH ME (about 7 so far...and growing). Unfortunately they could not do short notice today. But schedules get arranged..etc. etc. Things will come together. I'm an excellent planner/organizer even if it takes a few days to put together.

THEN, when I have completely and thoroughly exposed your business for this to the furthest extent i possibly can (not telling lies, not slander, simply truthful, factual accounts) for this
*small claims court for damage of the window, any other damage of object if harmed during "hosing.

All these things (*) are means at my disposal and I have significant, strong, and just cause to take these avenues. Have I not shown my willingness to start this journey?

What you have to work with:
One thing. Unless you break the law and assault or harass (etc. etc. ) me..you have ONE thing to use against me. A fine print wavier. There are contract attorney's who's job it is to pick these apart. I can reach one by speaking his name into my phone. This goes to show you that a contract, as you see it, is not something that is as black and white as you say and will likely NOT be your saving grace. It's the only crutch you lean on. It's weak even without me hiring people to help it crumble.

Now, since you refused to finish the work. You have no more opportunities to do so. I'm going to go BACK to my gut and consider not involving insurance when it's your responsibility.
Flat out I request the full compensation for the window all "the trimmins'" and labor from someone highly qualified to install. You realize the lengths I'm willing to go..all legal and civilized (even if highly edited to be). I think I've expressed my willingness to cooperate with law, stay within the legal limits, and do this in a way that I can and should do.

Lastly to you're rude comment about me "being wrong with the world." I'm "never satisfied" on the phone at the beginning of this:
If more people did what I've done, am doing, and have yet to do (so much so much) and that i'm willing to do in their own problems like this . How great would things be in this world to never get screwed over??? To only have business owners to have 100% scandalous free income? You might see my pov more clearly after you are ultimately screwed over by yourself in all of these MANY matters that you continually make worse. You've played my game just as you should have (from my benefit's perspective) and even BETTER than I had hoped for. BrrrrAVO. Thank you. As a responsible business owner (potential but unlikely), you have the fortunate gift of being in a position where you CAN BE as such and make this right. BE that responsible business owner. Then everyone will applaud you. I urge you to do so. There may be lingering legal issues you will still have but maybe settling for your mistake will keep you from being out even more money in the long-run. Lawyers are expensive PHEW!!!

Conclusion:

On a SOMEWHAT friendly (not that I have anything but disrespect and spite for thusfar) note: I'm sure you have lots of satisfied customers though I'd say that 99% of your customers wouldnt know a good window if their life depended on it. Well, then also there's the fact that it's hard to be dissatisfied when likely 50% or much more of your customers only do state inspections haha. Ok I TRIED to put in a friendly word but well, you just give me NADA to work with. Have some pride in your craft! Have some integrity. Have some responsibility. Without all that your'e not much . Especially a good business owner. You are the only one who has publicly or personally (to me and online) mentioned lawyers in any serious way. So now that we are at that point. I'm no longer talking about this to anyone publicly, in writing.

We should close the thread maybe.

Last edited by patrick323; 04-03-11 at 03:33 AM.
Old 04-02-11, 10:54 PM
patrick323
Lead Lap

Thank you EVERYONE for your comments both positive to me, and also your help in trying to get it thru to this guy that he is just absurdly backwards in his thinking and business practice.

It is a true testament to the benefit and pricelessness of this website. To educate, inform and bring lexus enthusiasts together!!

Last edited by patrick323; 04-03-11 at 01:57 AM.
Old 04-02-11, 11:04 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Patrick, same comment applies on your posts above about knocking off the personal insults please.

Let's keep this thread productive and mature.

Quick Reply: Asked for Lexus Glass, Got chinese aftermarket...