IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Asked for Lexus Glass, Got chinese aftermarket...

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-11, 07:40 PM
pfdaxe
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by patrick323
Yeah I managed to catch them before they close. They say they will look into finding a lexus windshield but at this point I seriously doubt the integrity and overall work that this place does. I'm on hold currently with insurance (good insurance). it'd be nice If i could tell this place to screw off and have a different place do the work but...hopefully i'll at least get the lexus glass put on.

Does anyone have any idea what an OEM windshield runs? I cannot find one on sewell's website.
Here ya go as a referance. $687.49 is CL price:

http://is.sewellparts.com/accessorie...2007/4662.html

^
^
^
Old 03-30-11, 10:04 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pfdaxe

^
^
^
DANG thats a $250 discount!! Nice hookup from Sewell! Shipping adds nearly $100 tho! Tho i'm not surprised since its glass...
Old 03-31-11, 03:10 PM
patrick323
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Micaiah
Patrick what's the name of this place? Do they have a website? I want to look them up.
AAA Done Right Auto Glass in Denton TX. (they have nothing to do with triple A, which I thought they did since it's called "AAA")

Originally Posted by pfdaxe

^
^
^
GOod price indeed. But then you have to add molding. Shipping. By the time it's said and done it's probably not worth fussing over and just have the new glass guy do his thing

Last edited by patrick323; 03-31-11 at 03:27 PM.
Old 03-31-11, 03:14 PM
3sgte_slow
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

go back and tell them that they promised OEM spec and you didn't get it. I don't blame you! Aftermarket windshields are no good for a Lexus...
Old 03-31-11, 03:17 PM
patrick323
Lead Lap

So. After getting screwed over a second time (wrong glass) i decided to start over and try to go after them for breaking it in the first place. Just wont happen. I finally came to grips with the fact that there was really no option but to have them do ANOTHER job and do it with the right glass. There is just no way to hold them accountable for breaking the glass in the first place unless maybe I had just taken them to small claims court then, before I let them talk me into the fact that my only choice was to pay (or claim insurance) to have them put on a new one. I called this morning (again) and as soon as I said hello it was a clear signal (to their landline) and a friendly hello. I start mildly complaining and the dude says "what? You're breaking up? I cant hear you" *click*
uggghh

So I call back from a different number, again, clear as a bell "hello." I say it's me again. THis guy lays into me talking about how I'm what's wrong with the world because I'm never satisfied, yadda yadda. My plan was to go there and sit in their lobby , chatting with incoming customers, open to close until they made this right. BUT I'm not such a fan of being arrested haha. Insurance basically said there's not much I can do either. State Farm's policy on chip repair is that if they crack it ..they just dont get paid for the repair. They're not paying the place for any of this but my only real option was to have them do it again with the right glass. SO i call this quack back and simply say "i know we arent fond of each other but lets do this and be done with it though i'm going to be watching every step of the way" We schedule an appointment for tomorrow and he says he'll get all the things (LEXUS things) in the morning. Then he calls me back saying "yeah, I just dont feel comfortable getting into a thousand dollar windshield job. I'll just bite the bullet on the work we've done"

OH MY GOD

I guess the upside is that i'm no longer dialed in to a cycle of working with these bums and stuck HAVING to have them do the work and I can now start fresh from a reputable place. I would have done so originally but i figured that most any monkey with focus can do a chip repair (maybe I'm wrong).

Be careful who does your glass....even if it's a chip repair. If they mess up the repair...then your'e kinda stuck doing business with them till it either happens correctly, or falls apart.

Last edited by patrick323; 03-31-11 at 03:29 PM.
Old 03-31-11, 04:48 PM
kuuqi
Lead Lap

glass work is always risky regardless of who you take it to. unfortunately, yes they could crack it further. the most common issue is with the molding and sealing. When they apply the glass, they could potentially miss a spot and cause air to leak through. windshield repairs just arent the smoothest processes regardless of where you go.

but i will say thats ridiculous. hope the next shop you bring it to works out. you can always check out yelp for shop reviews to help you find better service in your area.
Old 03-31-11, 06:42 PM
patrick323
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kuuqi
glass work is always risky regardless of who you take it to. unfortunately, yes they could crack it further. the most common issue is with the molding and sealing. When they apply the glass, they could potentially miss a spot and cause air to leak through. windshield repairs just arent the smoothest processes regardless of where you go.

but i will say thats ridiculous. hope the next shop you bring it to works out. you can always check out yelp for shop reviews to help you find better service in your area.
I understand the "no guarantee" point of view for glass repair but watching the guy do it.....it was due to pure inexperience, and lack of attention during the process.

I'm going to try a little experiment. For *****s and giggles. I'm going to make a big sign saying "AAA Glass broke my $1200 windshield, charged to replace, put on a $150 replacement, then refused to put on the right one" and stand on city property on their corner (since I can do that without a permit here).

A friend tonight said they stood with a sign on city property in front of their home builder's model home to get them to replace faulty windows that they had previously refused to do. The next day they had new windows.

Why not
Old 03-31-11, 07:00 PM
shrka
Pole Position

Sorry to hear about the experience. Not only should u be careful of wind but also rain. It could get into the electronics. Gl
Old 03-31-11, 09:15 PM
gocubs08
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My windshield on my old IS250 cracked, I used my insurance and had Safelite glass come and replace it not knowing there was any differences in OEM glass and aftermarket. YES THERE IS! The Lexus OEM glass is far superior in cutting down wind noise! I noticed it right away going down the highway. Luckily I sold the car and bought a 350 but if I ever need a replacement windshield I will DEF get OEM glass!!
Old 03-31-11, 09:41 PM
Lexustom
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For what it is worth it is my understanding that windshield glass is part of the integrity of the car in the event of a roll-over accident. One DOES want OEM glass and one does want it installed correctly. You are wise to have this taken care of properly although it will cost you more $ than you really want to spend. JMO
Old 03-31-11, 10:06 PM
Micaiah

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Patrick, I'm glad that you were finally set free of that place, I think horrible word of mouth is worth it on this one. Coming here to tell your story is good too.

Standing on the corner with a sign warning others? I'd do that too.

As a matter of fact, when I had my first Trans Am I had to bring it in several times for the same thing. This was before the Lemon Law so since they "gave up" and said that's all they can do, I decided that since I couldn't drive it, I wrote all over the car (with masking tape) that Pontiac gave up on this brand new car's constant problems. I parked it in front of the dealership and we sat in lawn chairs across the street. You should see how many people slowed down to read it.

When I arrived the second day, they flagged me down and told me to bring it into the garage and they won't let it go home until they fixed it.

Brought it home the next evening, running properly. And all the tape was removed, and the car washed.
Old 03-31-11, 10:51 PM
patrick323
Lead Lap

nice! That's what i'm talking about. People are so quick to just let a place take advantage of them sometimes or they simply arent willing to do what it takes. Overboard for $1200? Nah. That's a month of rent on the button!

I've already written reviews on the top google hits for the place and sent them an email with the links, telling them to say hi if they see me outside their establishment tomorrow and that for every passing day I'm not given a new windshield (given or compensated... not have them put it on) I'll write 3 more...going down the google hit list

When it's all said and done, anyone want a nice chinese windshield? Special CL pricing muahaha

Last edited by patrick323; 04-01-11 at 11:39 PM.
Old 03-31-11, 11:18 PM
Micaiah

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh this is friggen classic. This is on the front page of their website.

Done Right being extorted

They may put it on correctly, but it will be inferior glass

Ripped me off 3 times
Old 04-01-11, 04:31 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

AAA Done Right Auto Glass in Denton TX. (they have nothing to do with triple A, which I thought they did since it's called "AAA")
That's a common practice that companies use in order to get a more prominent listing in the phone directory yellow pages, as each category in the directory lists businesses in alphabetical order.

I finally came to grips with the fact that there was really no option but to have them do ANOTHER job and do it with the right glass
That wouldn't have been my decision. Anyone can make a mistake, but if a business acts unethically, or refuses to take ownership of a problem they've created, I'll take my business elsewhere.

I've already written reviews on the top google hits for the place and sent them an email with the links, telling them to say hi if they see me outside their establishment tomorrow and that for every passing day I'm not given a new windshield (given or compensated... not have them put it on) I'll write 3 more...going down the google hit list EVeryone should write a comment about hearing a club lexus owners story, thinking it's b.s. and help me out haha (AAA Done Right Auto Glass)
Writing multiple reviews, or getting others to write up your experience may be self-defeating. When I read reviews, I'll generally take with a grain of salt multiple negative reviews posted by the same person, or by supposedly different people posted within a few days of each other.

Does your service order or repair estimate specify that they'll use OEM glass? (If not, teachable moment for you - always get a detailed estimate or statement of work in writing) If so, I'd go after them either by requesting a chargeback on the credit card I used to pay for the work, or if I didn't pay by card, by taking them to small claims court.
Old 04-01-11, 05:36 PM
patrick323
Lead Lap

Ya. I put an account of the events on their review section of their website. They posted a review saying "being extorted by a con artist" haha

SO that got me going. You're gonna love this!!!!!!!

I went there today. With a big neon sign reading:
"AAA auto glass broke my $1,000 windshield
-refused to pay for replacement
-offered $50 off a new one
-replaced with wrong glass
-refused to do further work to put on correct glass"
I downloaded an Iphone app that is a megaphone/bullhorn that I can talk through my massively powerful car stereo and gave a few "TRIPLE A GLASS SUCKS MY ***" chants for kicks haha.

After ten minutes of attention on a busy rush hour street, he called the cops. They came. They concurred that I'm well within my legal rights to be on city property (the sidewalk in front of his business). He filed a "no trespass order" so that I'd be arrested if i walked on his property (fine, i want no contact with them at all other than compensation for the window). He asked the cops "can i water my grass?" They were puzzled and said yes.
He then turned the hose on me. They told him he cant do that while I"m on city property. THankfully being soaking wet (through and through) allowed my sign to stick to my body so I didnt have to hold it

He went to the business (CVS) where I had parked and CVS said I couldnt park in their lot (not wanting part of any drama understandably).
So i went across the street and got Walgreen's permission to park there and returned to his side of the street with my sign.
He turned the hose on me again. A passer-by said "are you ok?" in a very concerned and thoughtful way. I said "yeah I'm just here protesting." She said "that's assault. Call the police, contact the American Civil Liberties Union for violating your rights to free speech and call the local media."
I called the police. THe police said it was a Class C assault and I can (and will) file charges with the county prosecutor. I'm contacting the ACLU. ANd I'll be back there on the sidewalk tomorrow with a chair and a cooler.
haha

So yeah, i'm not crazy. I just took it to a point where I may as well go all out (within my rights and lawfully) because to back down now would just be uncivilized

Last edited by patrick323; 04-01-11 at 05:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Asked for Lexus Glass, Got chinese aftermarket...