IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Headlight problem need advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-11, 10:58 PM
A_Grasso
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting... Will definitely try. Thanks for the advice!
Old 03-29-11, 06:57 AM
NickTomsyc
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine has the same problem - LOTS of ballasts on ebay for ~$60.00

I think I'm going to try and dry out as mentioned and then re-seal it if I can/fix and cracks... if not just get a new housing - HID w/ AFS on ebay is like $350/400
Old 03-29-11, 08:03 AM
DreamerzCC
Pole Position

So what i am understanding is you just use a hair dryer on the headlight until the condesation is gone to fix it or is there something more to it?

I am running my DRL's without the ballast and there is a small amount of flicker....can anyone tell me how they altered there cover so the ballast can be attached? Thanks!

Last edited by DreamerzCC; 03-29-11 at 08:07 AM. Reason: added another question
Old 03-29-11, 10:05 AM
NickTomsyc
Pole Position

Once spring rolls around here in Wisco I plan on taking the housing out.... then do a soapy water leak test to see if I can find where the issue is (if it isn't obvious) .... then drying out completely and reseal with Silicone and/or another sealing product - and hope that works... if not, time for a new housing
Old 03-29-11, 11:18 AM
A_Grasso
Lexus Test Driver

^^ all good ideas and ill try everything. Taking it into the dealer on Friday to see what happens.
Old 03-30-11, 10:22 PM
someboy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by A_Grasso
Hey guys, so today after washing my car, I noticed that my drivers side headlight looked very foggy and wouldn't turn on anymore. They were blacked out by Tommy @ music box. I also have the ijdmtoy drl's, which can only fit without the covers, which might have caused water to get into the housing and short out the ballast. Does anybody have any advice or suggestions how to fix this? Or will I have to buy a new headlight?

Thanks
same thing happened to my car, both of my headlights went out and one side of my fog also. So, after buying the ballasts from ebay ( you can search for lexus is250 oem ballast) and brought my car to a shop. They took out my ballasts and it turns out they are completely covered in moles, most likely due to the water got in ( due to the LED DRL, i also did not have my covers on for months and one side of my headlight is foggy as hell during rainy days).

So for replacing the ballasts, you have to take your front bumper off in order to get to the headlights. The original ballasts that you have in the car will be almost impossible to take out, and the new ones will be impossible to be just fitted in there due to the large "bulb" cover and the wires need to go inside the headlight and then out again. So, what the shop did was cut off the wire which is connected to the bulb from the ballast. Then put the wires from one end inside the headlight and pull it out from the other end and rewire it with the ballast.

it took about 3 hours for them to do this for me, due to the technician is a friend, only charged me 100 bucks.

Note:
the ballasts i bought from ebay was used, so if you want new ones you have to go to the dealer, they have a "parts" department.

blow drying the headlights will not unnecessary just leave it under the sun and it will clear out by itself, and if your ballast is broken it won't matter if you dry out the headlights first or not, won't make a difference.
Old 03-31-11, 06:19 AM
NickTomsyc
Pole Position

Seeing as that sounds like a MONSTER PITA to replace, has anyone done the following:

Unhook old dead ballast and replace - but do not put the ballast in the old ballast location - just add it in somewhere else (how aftermarket would be)? then just pop a hole in the housing with a rubber gasket/grommet to keep water out?

I plan on buying a new housing at some point, but figured I would try and salvage the current one with a little tinkering
Old 03-31-11, 10:06 AM
A_Grasso
Lexus Test Driver

[QUOTE=someboy;6270299]same thing happened to my car, both of my headlights went out and one side of my fog also. So, after buying the ballasts from ebay ( you can search for lexus is250 oem ballast) and brought my car to a shop. They took out my ballasts and it turns out they are completely covered in moles, most likely due to the water got in ( due to the LED DRL, i also did not have my covers on for months and one side of my headlight is foggy as hell during rainy days).

So for replacing the ballasts, you have to take your front bumper off in order to get to the headlights. The original ballasts that you have in the car will be almost impossible to take out, and the new ones will be impossible to be just fitted in there due to the large "bulb" cover and the wires need to go inside the headlight and then out again. So, what the shop did was cut off the wire which is connected to the bulb from the ballast. Then put the wires from one end inside the headlight and pull it out from the other end and rewire it with the ballast.

it took about 3 hours for them to do this for me, due to the technician is a friend, only charged me 100 bucks.

Note:
the ballasts i bought from ebay was used, so if you want new ones you have to go to the dealer, they have a "parts" department.

blow drying the headlights will not unnecessary just leave it under the sun and it will clear out by itself, and if your ballast is broken it won't matter if you dry out the headlights first or not, won't make a difference.[/
QUOTE]

So by replacing the ballast you were able to fix the problem all together?
Old 04-01-11, 03:27 AM
someboy
Lexus Test Driver

yup !!! and now i just took out the LED high beams and put the covers back on ! and problem fixed!

Last edited by someboy; 04-01-11 at 04:21 PM.
Old 04-01-11, 07:10 AM
A_Grasso
Lexus Test Driver

Oh nice! So I guess I should just get rid of my led drl's huh?
Old 04-01-11, 04:20 PM
someboy
Lexus Test Driver

you should because once you replaced the ballasts, due to you can't put the covers back onto the led high beam, water will get in again, which is going to kill your ballasts eventually. i heard you can drill a hole on the cover, but i rather not risk that again ><
Old 04-02-11, 08:00 AM
A_Grasso
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah same here. I'm just going to install my old nokya bulbs