IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

New member mulling over used 2006 Lexus IS350 purchase...opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-11, 07:41 PM
Gville350

Received 429 Likes on 383 Posts
Default New member mulling over used 2006 Lexus IS350 purchase...opinions?

So I've been debating on what "new" vehicle to purchase for some time, and after much research and reading up on CL here I've narrowed it down to a used 2IS. Before I pull the trigger I want some expert opinion/advice on what I'm looking at right now. Being in SC kinda sucks for the used Lexus market...period; everyone thinks their Lexus's are gold and want top dollar + $2k. I'm always been a bargain shopper and not afraid to step outside of my area to find a deal.

So after I found a little treasure of a 2IS up North. I called up the dealership to get further detail on it. Here's what they've got :

*2006 IS Lexus, $21k, non-CPO
-30k miles
-Metallic grey and black leather interior
-Adult-owned
-NAV
-All stock
-Not sure of the "pkgs" yet, if any
-Clear title and CarFax
-KBB says w/o ANY pkgs its valued near $28k

I had the nice used car mgr guy there look over the vehicle for me MORE closely and he says the panels are all cherry and minimal surface imperfections. No rust in sight, and no torn interior.

The ONLY thing that I found that throws up a red flag is that on the CarFax it says that the water pump was replaced at 27k miles. Perhaps it was loaded in error, but I'm sorta concerned...should I be? I don't recall seeing a TSB for it.

If everything goes well I should be a proud, new owner of a sweet 2IS!

***EDITED for addition of pics (ah man, what gives...I rotated these pics before uploading to Imageshack...Errrrrr!) :

Thanks for your advice/input/coments.
Dan

Last edited by Gville350; 03-28-11 at 05:10 PM.
Old 03-26-11, 08:16 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

$21,000 is the asking price? If so you can probably get it for closer to $20,000. That's a pretty good price for a 350 with Nav and low miles!

It should still have some powertrain warranty on it, since its 6 years/70,000 miles. It's probably close to that 6 years though. Depends on when the car was manufactured.

What the used car manager says shouldn't matter to you. They are always going to tell you its perfect. Check it out yourself before pulling the trigger, if you can. Carfax says the water pump was replaced at 27k? That probably wouldn't worry me except for the fact that 3,000 miles later the owner has choose to sell it.... makes me think something else is wrong with it. And because of the cheap price, that very well may be so.

See the car in person, get it inspected by a mechanic over there before buying if you really want it. Mechanic might cost you an hour of labor, but it may save you thousands in the long run.
Old 03-27-11, 02:24 AM
NAMco
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same dilemma my friend. Except yours is a much better deal. The one I'm looking at has 60k miles and asking price was 24k. I talked him down to 20k so you can probably get it down for even less than 20k. I would say around 17-18k + tax. Anyways, goodluck. Let us know how it goes!
Old 03-27-11, 07:33 AM
kamileon88
Rookie

Water pump replacement is common
Old 03-27-11, 08:11 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 580 Likes on 390 Posts

I wouldn't be concerned about the water pump being replaced.

Jeff
Old 03-27-11, 08:13 AM
AaronN
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, I actually had the water pump replace on my 08 on Friday, and I have 32k miles. I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Old 03-27-11, 09:10 AM
WHITE93GT
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gville350
So I've been debating on what "new" vehicle to purchase for some time, and after much research and reading up on CL here I've narrowed it down to a used 2IS. Before I pull the trigger I want some expert opinion/advice on what I'm looking at right now. Being in SC kinda sucks for the used Lexus market...period; everyone thinks their Lexus's are gold and want top dollar + $2k. I'm always been a bargain shopper and not afraid to step outside of my area to find a deal.

So after I found a little treasure of a 2IS up North. I called up the dealership to get further detail on it. Here's what they've got :

*2006 IS Lexus, $21k, non-CPO
-30k miles
-Metallic grey and black leather interior
-Adult-owned
-NAV
-All stock
-Not sure of the "pkgs" yet, if any
-Clear title and CarFax
-KBB says w/o ANY pkgs its valued near $28k

I had the nice used car mgr guy there look over the vehicle for me MORE closely and he says the panels are all cherry and minimal surface imperfections. No rust in sight, and no torn interior.

The ONLY thing that I found that throws up a red flag is that on the CarFax it says that the water pump was replaced at 27k miles. Perhaps it was loaded in error, but I'm sorta concerned...should I be? I don't recall seeing a TSB for it.

If everything goes well I should be a proud, new owner of a sweet 2IS!

Thanks for your advice/input/coments.
Dan
If it is clean as it sounds I say buy it for anything close to that price A huge plus would be if it is still eligible for a Lexus Platinum extended warranty.

For some reason in SC these cars are really holding their value pretty good I say jump on it before it is gone.
Old 03-27-11, 09:45 AM
Batmobile
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

nav is nice although just FYI there are plenty more options

Rear sunshade
Memory Seats
Auto Tilt Steering column
Mark Levinson
Headlamp washers
Bumper sensors
Illuminated scuff plates

I recently just picked up an IS... and there were some changes between an 06-08 and 09-10 that you'll want to be aware of too.

Just to name some...

Bumper
Grill
Tail light
Interior cosmetics (nav trim, etc)
Actual nav software

What was important to me just FYI is

Rear sunshade
Memory Seats
Auto Tilt Steering column
Headlamp washers
Illuminated scuff plates
Bumper
Grill
Tail light
Actual nav software
Old 03-27-11, 09:54 AM
Gville350

Thanks for all of the advice and comments about the water pump. Definitely eases my mind that this is a usual occurrence. Guessing on this motor the water pump is spun via the accessory belt, and not the chain?

A little on my background...I've built my own Honda motors for my race cars and DDs for years. So I'm versed in car mechanics in general...just have to learn a new motor I guess. I'm confident in my knowledge of what I should and shouldn't hear/feel/smell that I'd purchase the vehicle w/o a mechanics assistance. If anything, I'll ask the dealership to throw the car up on a rack, so I can have a good look-see at it.

Regarding the comment about the Lexus extended warranty, I did look into that briefly and something about people getting theirs for around $1600-1700 from someone at a specific dealership. I forget whom and the details surrounding that.

I guess Lexus' hold their value really well in SC, thus me having to go out-of-state to find one for a good price. This is a good thing, cuz for what I'm buying it for I could (if I wanted) resell...probably for a profit! LOL

Thanks again all. If you've got additional info on that extended warranty, please enlighten me as to whom it was I read about that gets us such a good price on them.

Dan
Old 03-27-11, 03:20 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

sounds like a good deal, but if your still unsure take it a mechanic or a dealership for a inspection that should run about $100 but give you peace of mind. good luck
Old 03-27-11, 03:28 PM
AaronN
Driver School Candidate

Regarding the extended warranty you're probably out of luck. The car would still have to be within the original 4 years to qualify, and I doubt an 06 is within that time-frame.
Old 03-27-11, 03:46 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Good luck in what you decide. It's pretty quick!
Old 03-27-11, 06:04 PM
Gville350

So since I'm outside of the 4-year window I won't be able to get a Lexus extended warranty? Hmmmmm, I guess I'll want to start researching other alternatives.

As for my Lexus purchase, I've already confirmed with my salesman that he'll gladly pick me up from Philly Intl airport...so that will DEFINITELY help me out, since I'll fly in from Charlotte, NC. Oh, he said only a $1000 deposit will be needed to "reserve" the vehicle for me as well. All thumbs up so far; I'll keep everyone updated!

Dan
Old 03-27-11, 06:22 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Gville350
So since I'm outside of the 4-year window I won't be able to get a Lexus extended warranty? Hmmmmm, I guess I'll want to start researching other alternatives.

As for my Lexus purchase, I've already confirmed with my salesman that he'll gladly pick me up from Philly Intl airport...so that will DEFINITELY help me out, since I'll fly in from Charlotte, NC. Oh, he said only a $1000 deposit will be needed to "reserve" the vehicle for me as well. All thumbs up so far; I'll keep everyone updated!

Dan
Actually I'd check on that, because I bought my 2007 IS350 with 56k miles so it was out of factory warranty, but they still offered me the VSA warranty (which I took). This was a Lexus dealer I bought the car from though.
Old 03-27-11, 06:35 PM
Gville350

Yeah, mine is some Chevy dealership. But I'll definitely double-check on that...thanks!

Quick Reply: New member mulling over used 2006 Lexus IS350 purchase...opinions?