IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Anyone actually SOLVE the dash rattle? Dealer's performed TSIB twice...

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-11, 09:07 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Anyone actually SOLVE the dash rattle? Dealer's performed TSIB twice...

I know, I know - the dash rattle again. But hear me out.

I've got an 07 IS350 with 56k miles, just bought 2 months ago. It's already been in to the dealer twice for the dash rattle TSIB - first time they performed the fix in the TSIB by putting in the noise kit, replacing the clips, etc. I went to pick it up and the issue was still there, hadn't been fixed whatsoever by the TSIB, so they took it in again. Not sure what they did the second time but I went to pick it up and it was about 50% fixed (half as loud as before).

I just dropped it off at the dealer a third time to hopefully get this fixed once and for all. Here's my question:

Has anyone actually gotten the dash rattle issue FIXED 100%?

Ideally at the dealer?

Here's the only post I could find that gave a 99% solution: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/4062388-post57.html

I've shown my dealer this post and we'll see what comes of it.

But if you figured out a true solution to fix this issue 100% that would be dealer-approved (that is, not putting in screws or doing something drastic, etc), I'd be hugely grateful.

Pictures would be AWESOME.
Old 03-26-11, 09:18 AM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

great timing OP, i'm taking my car in soon for the same problem. so there is a TSIB out there for this?
Old 03-26-11, 10:16 AM
Miggs
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they must not be doing the repair..
Old 03-26-11, 10:41 AM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nope dont think so. got it done on my last car and it didnt really go away. really not a big deal though. just heard it after a month on my new car. i wont be taking it in.
Old 03-26-11, 10:55 AM
Miggs
Driver

Creak/pop/tick sound from radio area/dash requires new cushions on both sides of each screw hole of the radio board that join the circuit board to the back panel ( plastic cover )

they are washer type cushion rings... there is a total of 18 needed for the 9 holes, 9 of them are to be placed on front of the circuit board ( LCD facing upward )and the other 9 on the back of circuit board ( LCD facing downward)

you start off by removing the integration panel assembly ( radio lcd integration panel )

** make sure that you discharge all static electricity BEFORE YOU HANDLE the printed circuit board *** meaning= touch metal surface with bare hands. and also make sure you WASH your hands before starting this job ***

remove the 4 screws that hold the circuit board to the integration panel

when screws are removed carefully detach the cable connector for the board and remove back cover panel to access circuit board.

then you will paste in 9 cushions, one at each spot of the front circuit board (LCD facing upward) and the other 9 - one at each spot (LCD facing downward)

tighten up screws.

Voila.
Old 03-26-11, 11:01 AM
Miggs
Driver

this happens on mine everytime it gets up to temp or gets really cool inside my car. if i push the radio display in ( minimal force) it will make the creak/pop.

kind of annoying... Im going to perform this on my vehicle and take pics for a DIY

and also dont forget there is also a rattle from instrument panel area.. that requires 4 panel clips and one panel stay (pn: 55328-48110)

instrument panel cushion ( pn: 55355-30110) and the noise kit (pn: 08231-00801)

this job takes about 4 hours. or 2 if youve done it before.. because you need to apply felt to almost all the plastic components that contact other plastics. FML
Old 03-26-11, 11:15 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You can easily replicate the rattle by going having your car going on the Bott's Dots/road turtles or rumble strips on the road/freeway.

As far as rattle goes, I had the instrument panel one fixed, they had to fix it twice. Second time was resolved when they used a different thickness felt.

The dash rattle, still there but not as much as before but I may consider for them to take it in to have them fix it agian.
Old 03-26-11, 11:22 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Originally Posted by stlgrym3
great timing OP, i'm taking my car in soon for the same problem. so there is a TSIB out there for this?
Yes there's a TSIB for it, search the IS - Second Generation forum for "dash rattle" and you'll find it.

You're having the same issue on a 2011? Damn, I'd have thought they'd have fixed it by then..
Old 03-26-11, 11:25 AM
Miggs
Driver

if its still under warranty or dealer is willing to do repairs... i would return it for the instrument cluster rattle, only because i would hate to spend 4 hours fixing it my self.

i say take it in .. :-)
Old 03-26-11, 11:29 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Originally Posted by Miggs
this happens on mine everytime it gets up to temp or gets really cool inside my car. if i push the radio display in ( minimal force) it will make the creak/pop.

kind of annoying... Im going to perform this on my vehicle and take pics for a DIY

and also dont forget there is also a rattle from instrument panel area.. that requires 4 panel clips and one panel stay (pn: 55328-48110)

instrument panel cushion ( pn: 55355-30110) and the noise kit (pn: 08231-00801)

this job takes about 4 hours. or 2 if youve done it before.. because you need to apply felt to almost all the plastic components that contact other plastics. FML
So are there two separate issues: one being rattle from the instrument panel, one from the dash?

Because my particular issue doesn't seem to be coming from anywhere near the instrument cluster or LCD/radio area. If I push on the LCD/radio panel, there's no creak. It's when I push on the dash itself (see the two arrows in the picture below), that's when I get the creak. The creak is coming from an area higher up on the dash, much closer to the windshield, not lower down near the instruments/LCD/radio area. And it's distinctly a creak, like two plastic parts rubbing together that shouldn't be, not a rattle like if something was loose. It's when I push down on the dash and it flexes up and down (since there's some give in the dash) that the creak/squeak happens.

So are we talking about two different rattles here then?
Attached Thumbnails Anyone actually SOLVE the dash rattle? Dealer's performed TSIB twice...-lexus_is_250_rwd_manual_2010_dashboard_dashboard.jpg  
Old 03-26-11, 11:56 AM
Miggs
Driver

thats a seperate issue..

its called the : upper/lower windshield tick noise..

happens on mine at right lower windshield area and upper rh windshield. sounds to be exactly as your problem.

tsb: l-sb-0090-08 : it was recently updated to include the 09+ vehicles. lol

the source: two windshield stoppers bonded to the top or bottom edge of windshield.

repair covered under 48 month/50k of inservice date.

tools required:
*pry tool set -pn: 00002-06000-01
*hack saw mini blades : snap on h55a

repair procedure:
-remove sunvisors and both a pillar garnishes.
-lower headliner to gain access to windshield stoppers
-cut off tip of plastic stoppers
-remove stoppers
-once removed, with screwdriver open a gap between roof panel and remainder of plastic stopper
-reassemble,test drive, confirm.

windshield retainer repair:

-remove plastic cowl top vent louver at base of windshield
-locate windshield retainers at lower edge of windshield ( near hood hinges)
-use mini hack saw to cut off pin portion of the glass retainer flush with the flat portion of the windshield retainer
-reassemble,testdrive, confirm fix.
Old 03-26-11, 12:15 PM
cr3ativ3x
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

dont take anything to the dealer... i had that same problem. those fool's jus make everything worst... -_-
Old 03-26-11, 12:28 PM
Miggs
Driver

If they will do it fo FREE take it in.. if not then do what i do. TURN YOUR MUSIC UP TO THE MAX and enjoy the smooth ride lol
Old 04-04-11, 09:39 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Ended up taking it back to the dealer, they had to take out the dash twice, so this makes 5 times the dash in my car has been completely removed at the dealer and the TSIB for the dash rattle performed. Basically the first time they did it they performed the TSIB, which didn't fix the issue at all, then the next 4 times they just applied more and more foam padding, etc.

Just got the car back. They said they found on the 5th time that there were two plastic plates in the center of the dash that were rubbing together when they shouldn't, and that's what was causing the rattle, so they applied foam to those plates and they didn't rattle anymore. They told me it was totally fixed (trying to make sure I never bring it back) but after I got it the dash still rattles a bit, I'd say it's 75% fixed, but I'm tired of dealing with it so I'll just live with the rattle.
Old 04-04-11, 09:49 AM
Jmags
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c25iMhPItto

just took this today, and I'm trying to see if they'll fix it. Sounds like they can't that sucks.

Quick Reply: Anyone actually SOLVE the dash rattle? Dealer's performed TSIB twice...