IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Minimum age to get a loaner? My dealer just changed policy...because I complained

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-11, 06:58 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Minimum age to get a loaner? My dealer just changed policy...because I complained

After purchasing my 2007 IS350 certified pre-owned about 2 months ago, it was finally time to take it to the dealer nearest me. I bought it from Lexus of Rockville, who mentioned nothing about age restrictions on loaner cars, and who offered me a loaner car without any trouble when I took it in for the dash rattle. Rockville isn't my closest dealer though, so for the next issue I took it to Lexus of Towson, the nearest dealer to me and an "elite" one, according to Lexus' website.

I made the appointment and asked for a loaner (told them it was CPO), got there and talked to the service adviser, he said everything was set he just needed my ID and insurance for the loaner and then told me they only gave loaners to people over 25. I'm 23. He said it had to do with the insurance company they used, and likened the restriction to that on rental cars (though I never have a problem renting a car). I pointed out that one of the main reasons I purchased a CPO car was the ability to get a loaner anytime I drop it off for service, and at no point during the purchase process nor in the paperwork was any mention made of age restrictions. Not being able to get a loaner because of my age basically negates one of the biggest benefits of getting a CPO car. He told me it was simply Lexus of Towson's policy, and could do nothing about it.

I had no choice, since I work 8-5 and couldn't wait around and needed a car, so I called up the next closest dealer, Len Stoler. They said 21 years old was the minimum. I called up Lexus of Rockville; also 21. I called a few other area Maryland dealers and they all said 21 years old. I called the adviser at Towson back and told him that I'd called all the area Maryland dealers and they all had 21 years old as the minimum; Towson was the only one at 25. I told him that I had no choice but to take my business (which will be significant, since they're the nearest dealer and I'll have my car for another 100k miles or so) to another dealer that has a 21 year age limit. I told him if Towson wants to benchmark against other Maryland dealers, they're doing a poor job in that department.

About a week later, a customer service person from Towson called asking about my service experience. I told them there hadn't been one, because I couldn't get a loaner because I was under 25, and I told her I wouldn't be coming back. She apologized and thanked me for the feedback. She then called back 5 minutes later saying she checked with her manager, and he said that they'd changed the policy a week ago, now the age limit is 21. Oddly coincidental...

Just wanted to hear others' experiences on this. What's your dealer's policy? Ever run into issues like this? If you are, do your homework and bring it up to your dealer. Maybe they'll change policy as well.
Old 03-17-11, 07:13 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought my car when I was 22/23 and never had issues with Lexus of Tampa Bay...they might not have been checking though....my brother was denied a loaner at Nissan/Infiniti up the street since he is 21.
Old 03-17-11, 07:15 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

Nobody ever asked and neither did I. Not sure if they have a policy.

Jeff
Old 03-17-11, 07:17 PM
SPNinjA
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never had this issue before. They always gave me a loaner. Checked my drivers license and everything too.
Old 03-17-11, 07:53 PM
iceache925
Intermediate

Received 159 Likes on 71 Posts

Never had a problem either. I've been driving Lexus since I was 23-24. Always got a loaner and they checked my ID and credit card. Sorry to hear you ran into this issue.
Old 03-17-11, 07:55 PM
jbounnoi
Lead Lap

my dealership never checked my id or license's! they just gave it to me.. i basically walked in, gave them my keys for my oil change and they gave me a loaner.. lol im only 20 to.
Old 03-17-11, 07:56 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

at my dealership they told me i had to be 21 to get a LEXUS loaner. My friend, who owns a mercedes, was denied a mercedes loaner when he was under 21. They gave him a chevy instead
Old 03-17-11, 08:09 PM
jbounnoi
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by edgeucated
at my dealership they told me i had to be 21 to get a LEXUS loaner. My friend, who owns a mercedes, was denied a mercedes loaner when he was under 21. They gave him a chevy instead
^^ i got a new es, it might depend on your dealership, or the service department
Old 03-17-11, 08:12 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by jbounnoi
my dealership never checked my id or license's! they just gave it to me.. i basically walked in, gave them my keys for my oil change and they gave me a loaner.. lol im only 20 to.
Maybe in Canada but here in the US if it not 4hrs job you wait in the lobby for an oil change.
Old 03-17-11, 08:29 PM
jbounnoi
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by laobo979
Maybe in Canada but here in the US if it not 4hrs job you wait in the lobby for an oil change.
well they usually ask if you have something to do that day w.e when you book it, than if they have one available they'll usually give it to you

Last edited by jbounnoi; 03-17-11 at 08:46 PM.
Old 03-17-11, 08:45 PM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Im 19 and my service adviser gave me a loaner RX when my IS needed service. He said you had to be at least 21 but I gave him my moms license info over the phone and he went ahead and gave me the loaner. I think it just depends on the dealer. This was at Lexus of Pembroke Pines in Florida btw
Old 03-17-11, 08:54 PM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

I used to have an issue before when I was 18/19 but once I turned 21 they always gave me a nice Lexus loaner. Before they would give me enterprise ****
Old 03-17-11, 10:33 PM
crazybuggy
Racer

yea you let them know!!! eff that ish! lexus of queens in NY is 25 as well...
Old 03-17-11, 10:35 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my dealer uses enterprise when they are out of loaners...ive never gotten one though I always get the Lexus, I always request a loaner and have only been denied one once since I was like the first one there and they told me they would be done in less than 30-40 min and offered me breakfast and coffee instead so I cooperated knowning how pressed for loaners they were.

I dont drive enough to get more than 2-3 oil changes a year and so far there is also usually something additional to do such as a recall, detail, warranty issue, etc.
Old 03-17-11, 10:48 PM
RU514
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

21 for almost all the dealers around me. I would know since I got my car at 17 and never could get a loaner (dad would have to get it for me).

Quick Reply: Minimum age to get a loaner? My dealer just changed policy...because I complained