IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

???Roof Spoilers???

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-14, 05:18 PM
allntrl
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 510to808
Then all you had to but was the 3m double sided tape right ?
It comes with more than enough red 3M double sided tape to cover all 4 edges of the spoiler, and a little bottle of adhesion promoter with a little application q-tip.
Old 02-02-14, 09:31 PM
dubUang
Rookie

Originally Posted by 1Clean06IS
I bought one from eBay, 062 crystal white pearl, paint was nice only issue is be paint which is a few shades off from my 6 year old cwp.
Mind sending me some pics of the color difference?? I wanted to buy both the roof and rear trunk spoiler in CW..
Old 02-03-14, 06:16 AM
1Clean06IS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dubUang
Mind sending me some pics of the color difference?? I wanted to buy both the roof and rear trunk spoiler in CW..
Pm sent, no pics but I was detailed in response.
Old 02-08-14, 06:20 PM
DonLex123
Rookie

Installed my roof spoiler today, color match looks good hopefully it still looks the same out in the sun light.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-08-14, 06:42 PM
Tungstn-IS
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

The color on these are good. But just be prepared to repaint it after a year or two. The clear will begin to fade and yellow then the paint will start cracking. I bought my original one years ago and it did that, but for the price I just bought another ....but it did the samething. I just had it repainted last week locally to make sure I dont have to fool with it anymore. In retrospect, the best option would have been to buy it unpainted from the get go.
Old 04-07-14, 01:10 AM
comcongen
Rookie

To tungstnIS How much does the paint job cost for the spoiler? I just want to get a ball park price before checking with a local paint shop. Thanks
Old 04-07-14, 09:03 AM
Tungstn-IS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by comcongen
To tungstnIS How much does the paint job cost for the spoiler? I just want to get a ball park price before checking with a local paint shop. Thanks
I gave $100 to have the roof spoiler and a rear spoiler repainted at the same time. I'd imagine it would have been cheaper if they didn't have to strip off all the old cracked up paint and clear. That's why I suggested it may be easiest to just buy it unpainted, I'm sure getting all of that old crap off and prepping the surface was much harder than just starting fresh.
Old 04-12-14, 09:59 AM
ChiLexus10
Rookie

I got mine from oem thing on eBay as well.got a bare one and ended up wrapping the roof and spoiler gloss black.
Old 04-14-14, 05:43 PM
GX470Ken
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi All
Newbie here. I just got my roof spoiler from OEM Thing off eBay for my 2008. It's obsidian and paint match appears to be dead on. Considering I've read through 75 percent of this thread as it pertains to the the same spoiler, is there any other members that have similar stories about the color fade and clear starting to crack? I want to install soon but don't want to have the headache of having it repainted a year or two from now. It seems most have been initially happy but how about long term? Has any others had similar experiences or is the paint and tape holding up nice after years of being on their ride? Look forward to your responses.
Old 04-14-14, 05:58 PM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kenneth40
Hi All
Newbie here. I just got my roof spoiler from OEM Thing off eBay for my 2008. It's obsidian and paint match appears to be dead on. Considering I've read through 75 percent of this thread as it pertains to the the same spoiler, is there any other members that have similar stories about the color fade and clear starting to crack? I want to install soon but don't want to have the headache of having it repainted a year or two from now. It seems most have been initially happy but how about long term? Has any others had similar experiences or is the paint and tape holding up nice after years of being on their ride? Look forward to your responses.
I only have mine for less than a year so cant comment but i believe there were some members have problems with fading and cracking. Also that depending on the location and how much exposure the spoiler.
I wouldn't worry about it if I was you. If you are really concern, buy a spare one and replace it when ever one gets faded. Can't beat the price of less than $100 (probably cost more to repaint).
Old 04-14-14, 06:13 PM
GX470Ken
Driver

Thanks for the prompt reply! If I hear that more people have short term issues, I may take it to be repainted by a good shop first before the install. I'd bet its a hassle getting it off again. If I have to pay another $88 for a new one, I'd rather pay the shop to do a better paint job up front. The paint does look pretty good as it stands now though.
Old 04-15-14, 06:00 AM
Tungstn-IS
Intermediate

I didn't have any short term issues. It took probably a year and half to two years or so in the heat of Texas for it to happen. But both ones I bought eventually did the same thing. So I wouldn't waste my time just buying anothe, its pretty easy to get back off and remount anyway. I would just mount it up and if/when the paint starts to go, just have it repainted. Who knows, maybe up where you are the less intense summers will be easier on it???

Last edited by Tungstn-IS; 04-15-14 at 06:04 AM.
Old 04-15-14, 04:23 PM
GX470Ken
Driver

I'm in Maryland so we have the 4 seasons and only the potential for hot weather a few months out of the year. I PM another owner (not sure which state he lived in) but he said he's had his on his 2011 F Sport for about 3 years and the paint is holding up fine with no issues. Attached with DS taped and its held in place nicely too.
Old 04-15-14, 04:37 PM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just install it as is if the paint looks good! Shouldn't be that hard to remove; just take some dental floss and cut thru the adhesive (like how most of us debadge emblems and such).
Old 04-15-14, 06:21 PM
GX470Ken
Driver

Yep, I think that's what I will do. Thanks for the feedback.

Quick Reply: ???Roof Spoilers???