IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Whine from engine bay on 2007 IS350? Happens all the time, not just cold

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-11, 01:13 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Whine from engine bay on 2007 IS350? Happens all the time, not just cold

I'm taking my car in for the ground loop TSB soon and I figured I'd try and get this whining issue addressed. As background, I purchased my 2007 IS350 about a month ago, CPO with 56k miles.

Ever since I purchased it, I've noticed a whining noise coming from the engine bay. It happens all the time, whenever I'm driving it, not just when it's cold or just started up - it doesn't go away when it's warm or after I've driven it for a while. It has nothing to do with the stereo or A/C or heat. It varies with RPMs, so as I accelerate it gets louder and then when it shifts up a gear and the RPMs drop, it gets a little softer (but doesn't go away).

It really bugs me, as I have the F-Sport exhaust which I think sounds great but the whine takes away from it. I searched around but the only stuff I could find was very old and looked like it didn't have the same symptoms as mine.

In some of the other cases I saw of people bringing up engine whine on the IS350s, some people were saying they were told it was the timing chain. Anyone have that experience? My car's got 58k on it, and I thought the timing chain wouldn't need to be done until like 90k. Side question - is the timing chain replacement covered by the CPO/VSA warranty?

Your help is greatly appreciated! I've found I get much more luck diagnosing problems with the experts on CL than the techs at my dealership.
Old 03-15-11, 01:33 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

You sure its not the ticking from the direct injectors? If so it normal.
Old 03-15-11, 01:51 PM
Devorkion
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2007 IS350 with 51K, i have the same sound.....regarding the timing chain, I thought those last the life of the engine? It isnt a rubber belt.
Old 03-15-11, 02:13 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Originally Posted by laobo979
OK I saw this on another thread too, so let me clarify: This is not a ticking sound. I can hear the ticking sound, I know what that is and I can hear it. This is a completely different and unrelated sound, and it distinctly a whine, like a belt or chain type of whine.

Originally Posted by Devorkion
I have a 2007 IS350 with 51K, i have the same sound.....regarding the timing chain, I thought those last the life of the engine? It isnt a rubber belt.
This could very well be the case, but I'm new to the IS350 so I'd love to know the answer to that myself. I'm glad to hear others are experiencing this. I hope someone's gotten an answer from their dealer and can share.
Old 03-15-11, 02:23 PM
embolism
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read about this and I have it too. Can't really remember but has something to do with the high compression ratios in our engines. One of the more senior guys on here will know for sure...
Old 03-15-11, 04:39 PM
Devorkion
Driver

Do a search in the IS 2nd Gen for " IS350 Timing Chain ", a few good write ups to put you at ease!
Old 03-15-11, 06:04 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Originally Posted by Devorkion
Do a search in the IS 2nd Gen for " IS350 Timing Chain ", a few good write ups to put you at ease!
I'll search now - put me at ease? Does that mean it's been deemed "normal"?
Old 03-15-11, 06:10 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Read some other posts on this. Sounds like it's just a fact of life on newer Lexus engines? I don't like that answer; has anyone found a fix?
Old 03-15-11, 09:57 PM
Devorkion
Driver

Originally Posted by calvin2376
Read some other posts on this. Sounds like it's just a fact of life on newer Lexus engines? I don't like that answer; has anyone found a fix?
Yes, turn your volume up on the stereo.

It is normal bro, no need to start tossing money at it.
Old 04-01-11, 10:47 AM
E6BAV8R
Pole Position

Originally Posted by laobo979
I 2nd this - is it a tick or a whine? If it is a tick that is normal and is a result of direct injection.

It took me a while to get used to it, coming from a straight fuel-injected car into my Lexus, as I thought the ticking wasn't normal. However, that is the way direct injection sounds - it is essentially a mini-diesel engine, of sorts. Sometimes my friends will get in my car and, not having been in a direct injection vehicle, will also comment.

I wouldn't be worried. The more you drive the car you will get used to it.
Old 04-01-11, 03:25 PM
teddypainz
Driver School Candidate

i have that sound on my car too... the ticking and whining sound.. if you find a fix.. let us know! I have an 07 is350 with 55k miles
Old 04-01-11, 03:41 PM
mong
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Spray some wd-40 onto the parts that moves your serpentine belt and you should be good to go!
Old 04-01-11, 05:49 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Originally Posted by E6BAV8R
I 2nd this - is it a tick or a whine? If it is a tick that is normal and is a result of direct injection.

It took me a while to get used to it, coming from a straight fuel-injected car into my Lexus, as I thought the ticking wasn't normal. However, that is the way direct injection sounds - it is essentially a mini-diesel engine, of sorts. Sometimes my friends will get in my car and, not having been in a direct injection vehicle, will also comment.

I wouldn't be worried. The more you drive the car you will get used to it.
As I stated above:

"OK I saw this on another thread too, so let me clarify: This is not a ticking sound. I can hear the ticking sound, I know what that is and I can hear it. This is a completely different and unrelated sound, and it distinctly a whine, like a belt or chain type of whine."

I don't really understand why every time a poster asks about an engine whine, so many people come back and ask if they mean ticking. There aren't a lot of sounds that are more distinguishable from each other than a tick (a consistent series of unchanging sounds with defined start and stop points interspersed with periods of silence which may change duration along with factors such as RPMs) and a whine (one prolonged, continuous noise that is ever-present but may change pitch along with factors such as RPMs).

So once again: no, not a tick. I can clearly hear the ticking noise, IN ADDITION to the whine. I have learned to disregard the ticking noise as it has been clearly explained as normal on the forums. The WHINE, however, not so. It is distinctly the whine with which I'm concerned.

I'm not saying this whine is a problem, it could very well be normal. However, it seems there are quite a few people on here who have had a whine that has turned out to be an abnormal issue that needed to be addressed. The issues I've seen that have caused a whine have been:

1) Water pump
2) Timing chain

That's about all I've seen on the forums as possible causes of the whine. My car was just CPO inspected and has been in the shop multiple times since I bought it two months ago for various issues and neither the water pump nor timing chain was ever mentioned as possibly problematic.
Old 04-01-11, 07:45 PM
kinglexus99
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just got my 350 too and had a friend mention the turbo sounding whine of the engine. Since he mentioned it I have noticed it more and it does remind me of a slight turbo whine. If thats what you're talking about then I'm certain it's normal as I've driven several 350s and they all sound look that. The 250 does not so much though so I'm guessing it has something to do w our engines setup and power output.
Old 04-02-11, 09:26 PM
rayhuge
Driver School Candidate

Just and update... I took the serpentine belt off to see if the noise would stop. Nope, the whine continued. So it’s not any of the bearings, water pump etc. So it’s either timing chain or just the way this engine sounds.

Quick Reply: Whine from engine bay on 2007 IS350? Happens all the time, not just cold