IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Is this fixable? (broken tab on bumper)

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-11, 05:40 PM
aznpapaya
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this fixable? (broken tab on bumper)

Awhile ago i took my bumper off and notice that the tab where the screws goes through so that it stays onto the body was broken, it's located at the upper far end of the bumper. I've tried using putty to mend the broken tab but unfortunately its not working out too well. It does work but over time it couldn't hold up, due to the vibrations. Was wondering if anyone here have any suggestion as to how i can fix this, if it's even possible.

Pics for reference, sorry for the bad quality, it's from an iphone and taken at night.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/55999657@N04/5520866717/http://www.flickr.com/photos/55999657@N04/5520866717/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/55999657@N04/, on Flickr
Old 03-12-11, 07:03 PM
embolism
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is it plastic or steel. If it's plastic you are out of luck. If steel, it may be thick enough to drill a hole on either side of each crack and sandwich with 2 pieces of thin steel using small screws with nuts.

Not sure how much clearance you need for the tab itself to be put back. If it needs to slide in, then the steel and bolts may not allow you do so anymore.

hmm, maybe you don't even need to bolt the steel reinforcements on. Get two large washers and put them on either side of the tab (tape it so it stays together - the strength will come from the washers, not the tape or putty or whatever anyways). Then insert and use the bolt that attaches it to the bumper through both washers

That's all I can think of offhand... I got the idea from those paper sticker reinforcements that we used to use when one of the holes in the paper we use for our three ring binders got ripped...
Old 03-12-11, 07:10 PM
CarbonDtls
Lead Lap

super glue if its plastic
Old 03-12-11, 07:11 PM
aznpapaya
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by embolism
is it plastic or steel. If it's plastic you are out of luck. If steel, it may be thick enough to drill a hole on either side of each crack and sandwich with 2 pieces of thin steel using small screws with nuts.

Not sure how much clearance you need for the tab itself to be put back. If it needs to slide in, then the steel and bolts may not allow you do so anymore.

hmm, maybe you don't even need to bolt the steel reinforcements on. Get two large washers and put them on either side of the tab (tape it so it stays together - the strength will come from the washers, not the tape or putty or whatever anyways). Then insert and use the bolt that attaches it to the bumper through both washers

That's all I can think of offhand... I got the idea from those paper sticker reinforcements that we used to use when one of the holes in the paper we use for our three ring binders got ripped...
it's plastic/poly urathen....that's sucks to hear, guess i have no choice but to buy a new bumper

anyone have any experience with bumper on ebay?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-B...Q5fAccessories

anyone know if there is a aftermarket bumper?

Originally Posted by CarbonDtls
super glue if its plastic
would it actually hold? since the vibration is so strong when you're driving and running over bumps.
Old 03-12-11, 07:15 PM
MIA_LEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe this will help look at post # 41 https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ictures-3.html
Old 03-12-11, 07:54 PM
100degrees
Pole Position

Try to plastic weld it
Old 03-12-11, 08:39 PM
aznpapaya
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MIA_LEX
Maybe this will help look at post # 41 https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ictures-3.html
I'd thought of doing that but afraid that it will not line up right with the rest of the car.

Originally Posted by 100degrees
Try to plastic weld it
I've tried using them but not luck, they would break off after awhile.
Old 03-12-11, 09:01 PM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Is plastic wield is the same as Plumbers Cement?

Have you tried the stuff that is used to seal plastic pvc pipes together? If it can withstand that much water pressure perhaps it can withstand the daily driving. You will need to buy 2 cans: one is to prep the pipe and melt it a bit and the other one is the sealant.
Old 03-12-11, 09:06 PM
embolism
Lead Lap

you only need the tabs to be steel if you were going to drill through it. Try the super glue then sandwiching with 2 large washers and bolt with nut maybe using smaller washers if the hole btw the 2 large sandwich washers is too big.
Old 03-12-11, 09:09 PM
MIA_LEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aznpapaya
I'd thought of doing that but afraid that it will not line up right with the rest of the car.

I've tried using them but not luck, they would break off after awhile.

I did it and I did a better job lining it up than the factory did. Goodluck with your decision.
Old 03-12-11, 10:52 PM
showtymers
Driver

ok i got a solution for that, it will require you super glue, and 2 washers, glue the washer on top and bottom let it set for awhile basically what you do is sandwich that tab area, be creative make sure the whole is perfect, if that doesnt work, go to homedepot but yourself a thing sheet of sheet metal that you can bend with your hand fingers. bend it in half but dont crease the side the bend make a template of that whole tab section, cut and slip it over and glue it let it set and if you can find a small self tapping screw drill the open side through so it will clamp itself to the rest of the existing tab, and im more explaining to make this the long way from , front to back of the tab not side to side
Old 03-15-11, 03:22 PM
aznpapaya
Lead Lap

alright so i tried one of the solutions you guys sugested and just wanna give you guys an update.

I'd super glue 2 washers onto the tab sunday and been driving around for about 40-50 miles now, mostly highway going around 70 also hitting some pothole here and there, and it's looking good, and i'd checked the washers and they seem to be in place and hold up pretty strong. I'll keep this thread updated now and then so if anyone else who have this problem might find it useful.
Old 03-15-11, 08:22 PM
embolism
Lead Lap

woohoo!

Old 03-15-11, 08:26 PM
sinister2c
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 139 Posts

Don't really need it. My brothers bumper is all cut right there from rubbing and he just snaps it in place with no screws on that spot.
Old 03-15-11, 10:54 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My whole tab got chewed off and eventually the screw fell out. I used to snap it back in place. Now I ended up zip tying it!

Quick Reply: Is this fixable? (broken tab on bumper)