IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Various questions from new 2IS owner - get interior lights to turn on when unlock?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-11, 07:28 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Various questions from new 2IS owner - get interior lights to turn on when unlock?

As I've gotten more familiar with my '07 IS350 (purchased a month ago), I've been gathering up some questions I have about different lighting issues I've noticed so that I could put them all in one post and have them answered I'm sure quickly by someone who's more familiar with the 2IS. I'm sure these are no-brainers to many, but I'm new to the car and would love your help.

1) Is there a way to change the settings on the car so that the interior lights turn on when I walk up to the car and unlock it, when I am inside the car and turn it off, and/or when I turn off the car and open the door to get out?

I've noticed that currently, the lights don't come on inside the car when I walk up to it and unlock it (though the side mirror puddle lights do). And when I park and turn off the car, the lights don't turn on either.

2) Are there puddle lights under the front seats that illuminate the rear footwells?

Currently, when I walk up to the car, unlock it and open a rear door, no lights come on. Ideally I'd like the rear dome light to come on, and if they exist, the puddle lights that illuminate the footwells (my last car had this, not sure if the 2IS does).

3) Is there a way to get the light inside the trunk to turn on automatically when I open it?

I was curious why the trunk stayed dark when I opened it, then I noticed there was a light inside that had a switch that I could turn on. But what I'd really like is this light to just turn on when I open the trunk and turn off when I close it. If I manually switch the light on when the trunk's open, I'm worried if I close it the light will stay on (and the battery will die).

4) Is there a way to have the headlights turn on automatically when it's raining and the wipers are on?

Most cars with auto headlights have it so that they turn on when it gets dark enough, but also when the wipers are on for safety reasons. However I was driving in the rain yesterday and my headlights (on auto setting) didn't come on.

5) How do I check tire pressure using the TPMS?

Is it buried somewhere in the nav system? My last car had it in the center gauge display cluster.

6) If I replace the interior lights (dome lights, reading lights), side mirror puddle lights, and/or reverse backup lights with VLEDS, will I lose any functionality/settings?

I'm not looking for a how-to or anything, I know that's out there, I'm just wondering if I go about replacing these lights with VLEDs does anything negative happen?

Thank you all for your help in advance.

Last edited by calvin2376; 03-07-11 at 07:33 AM.
Old 03-07-11, 07:45 AM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

#3 the light will go off when you close the trunk. Well my 09 I had did. I closed the trunk and looke throught the trunk pass through and it went off.

#5 nope not anywhere in the nav. If its low you jus gotta check em all unless its obvious. Kinda sucks but its better than nothin.

Last edited by iRock; 03-07-11 at 07:49 AM.
Old 03-07-11, 08:41 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Originally Posted by PEARLIS250
#3 the light will go off when you close the trunk. Well my 09 I had did. I closed the trunk and looke throught the trunk pass through and it went off.

#5 nope not anywhere in the nav. If its low you jus gotta check em all unless its obvious. Kinda sucks but its better than nothin.
Thanks for the response on #3, I'll check that.

I don't understand your answer to #5, why would we have TPMS on our cars if you couldn't use it to check tire pressure...?

Can someone explain this to me? On every other car I've had or driven with TPMS, there was some way to monitor tire pressure from inside the car. But you're telling me you have to do it the old-fashioned way with a gauge and check every tire? That doesn't make sense, or I'm misreading your response.

How do you check tire pressure (using TPMS) from inside the car on a 2IS?
Old 03-07-11, 08:55 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by calvin2376

How do you check tire pressure (using TPMS) from inside the car on a 2IS?

you can't

The only thing the toyota TPMS system does is tell you "Yo! one of your tires is low!"

Then you get to figure out the rest the old fashioned way.

The TPMS system is like the nav features- stuck deep in the last decade.
Old 03-07-11, 09:07 AM
2IS350DT
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by calvin2376
As I've gotten more familiar with my '07 IS350 (purchased a month ago), I've been gathering up some questions I have about different lighting issues I've noticed so that I could put them all in one post and have them answered I'm sure quickly by someone who's more familiar with the 2IS. I'm sure these are no-brainers to many, but I'm new to the car and would love your help.

1) Is there a way to change the settings on the car so that the interior lights turn on when I walk up to the car and unlock it, when I am inside the car and turn it off, and/or when I turn off the car and open the door to get out?

I've noticed that currently, the lights don't come on inside the car when I walk up to it and unlock it (though the side mirror puddle lights do). And when I park and turn off the car, the lights don't turn on either.

3) Is there a way to get the light inside the trunk to turn on automatically when I open it?

I was curious why the trunk stayed dark when I opened it, then I noticed there was a light inside that had a switch that I could turn on. But what I'd really like is this light to just turn on when I open the trunk and turn off when I close it. If I manually switch the light on when the trunk's open, I'm worried if I close it the light will stay on (and the battery will die).

6) If I replace the interior lights (dome lights, reading lights), side mirror puddle lights, and/or reverse backup lights with VLEDS, will I lose any functionality/settings?

I'm not looking for a how-to or anything, I know that's out there, I'm just wondering if I go about replacing these lights with VLEDs does anything negative happen?

Thank you all for your help in advance.

#1 The dome light compartment directly above the center console should have two on/off buttoms (one may say door, the other one I can't remember). Leave both of them in the off setting (where the buttoms are not pressed in) and give that a try. Your interior light and puddle light should come on as soon as your key is detected.

#3 The only way to do that is leave the switch "on". The truck light will turn off as you close the trunk automatically.

#6 No problem as I did that too.
Old 03-07-11, 09:07 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Originally Posted by Kurtz
you can't

The only thing the toyota TPMS system does is tell you "Yo! one of your tires is low!"

Then you get to figure out the rest the old fashioned way.

The TPMS system is like the nav features- stuck deep in the last decade.
Well that's pathetic, and disappointing to hear. But thanks for clearing it up.

Any help on the other questions?
Old 03-07-11, 09:56 AM
LSIII
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make sure the switch in the overhead console by the sunroof controls is set to the door mode.

2) Are there puddle lights under the front seats that illuminate the rear footwells?

No there are not any rear footwell lights under the seats. If you do the step stated in #1 then the rear overhead light will come on with the rest of the interior lights.

If you turn the switch on then the light will shut off when you close the trunk

4) Is there a way to have the headlights turn on automatically when it's raining and the wipers are on?

Nope there isn't a setting for this. Wish it did, my 1996 Grand Cherokee could do that.

5) How do I check tire pressure using the TPMS?

As others said it's only a low pressure warning light and not a warning and pressure display gauge. Toyota took minimum route that the government requires for low tire pressure warnings.

I changed out my dome lights, mirror lights, and back up lights with any loss of functions
Old 03-07-11, 11:25 AM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Looks like you got all of your answers already OP. The only "loss of function" with swapping out all your interior lights to LEDs is that they don't fade in and out as smoothly as the OEM filament bulbs. It would be like your frame rate dropping ever so slightly in a computer game. It's not that big of a deal to most people.

This PDF on the Lexus Personalized Settings may be of interest to you: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...ttings-rev.pdf. It covers the software tweaks you can do to your car to personalize it, including several lighting functions. These changes must be done at the dealer and they may charge you for it (I've had luck going in for an oil change and politely asking for them to change something, without charge). If you bought your car CPO, you get one opportunity to have them change the LPS for free.

Last edited by brociouz; 03-07-11 at 11:44 AM.