IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

oil change at toyota/beat the price

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-11, 06:24 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

My oil changes at the lex dealer is around $60 or $70..
Old 03-04-11, 06:34 PM
sw2oboi
Lead Lap

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

if you use the oem oil filter wrench they dont break. i did break the one i got from my local autozone.

now this i pretty clever to save money and not get yourself dirty. Im not a fan of it because im to lazy to wait for my car to be done. I can do it faster then driving to my local toyota dealership(5 min away), checking car in, waiting for it to be done, and then driving it home. ONE DAY, ill be super lazy and will do what you just did
Old 03-04-11, 07:58 PM
ISSteve
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't mind changing my own oil, but disposing of it properly is a huge PITA! That's the part that's worth the $50-60.
Old 03-04-11, 08:18 PM
Keppie
Lead Lap

Local dealer charges $50 for oil change and vehicle inspection.
Old 03-04-11, 09:05 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by wildtigg3r
I'm down in San Diego and brought in my 09 for an oil change at Escondido Lexus for the 1st time. They charge about $89.99 for an oil change. I brought in my own MobilOne oil I got from Costco. For parts and labor, came out to $57.66. Costco oil $30 with coupon.

Conclusion - Still came out about the same price.

NOTE: They didn't give me back my left over or empty oil bottles... and I didn't ask them.
But the mobil one you got was Synthetic right? So you paid the same price as a regular oil change at Lexus of Escondido for a synthetic oil change. That's not so bad then! lol
Old 03-05-11, 12:05 AM
soulsoarer
Pole Position

Has been done many times before. I always buy the oil/filter and bring it to a shop. So far I have been getting my Mobil One Full Synthetic at OSH with their $5-10 off $30 coupon and bring my car to the Lexus dealer and they only charge me under $19 to change w/new filter. So that total my oil change at around $50~. Now if they gave me free gas with the service that would be a perfect world.
Old 03-05-11, 12:45 AM
filthywet
Driver

Originally Posted by embolism
Do you tell them what the car is before you show up? Doesn't the Toyota dealership try to tell you it's more work to get to your filter so try to bump up the labour?

I can see that happening in here if I try that... I would watch them pour your oil for sure. My dealership has all these little 18 year old punks in the back. Wouldn't put it past them to switch the oil...
i tell them i want an oil change for a 2006 lexus is350 and i have the stuff. and they say ok 15 something + tax.
Old 03-05-11, 05:44 AM
Duke02
Driver

My dealer charges about $90 and I don't think they use full synthetic. I just do my own oil changes. I pay about $35 for a 5 gal jug of mobil 1 from walmart plus 2 quarts, $5 for the filter from sewell. It's also quicker for me to just do it myself than to drive it to the dealer and back.

The best part for me is knowing that it's done right. Don't think for a second that they have their experienced mechanics doing the work. They have the least experienced, lowest paid person in the shop doing oil changes. Not that it's complicated and nothing against them but I'd rather do it myself and know it was done right.

My take is that there's not many situations in life where you can get a better job done while saving time and money, so I take advantage of this one
Old 03-05-11, 06:03 AM
pfdaxe
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Duke02
My dealer charges about $90 and I don't think they use full synthetic. I just do my own oil changes. I pay about $35 for a 5 gal jug of mobil 1 from walmart plus 2 quarts, $5 for the filter from sewell. It's also quicker for me to just do it myself than to drive it to the dealer and back.

The best part for me is knowing that it's done right. Don't think for a second that they have their experienced mechanics doing the work. They have the least experienced, lowest paid person in the shop doing oil changes. Not that it's complicated and nothing against them but I'd rather do it myself and know it was done right.

My take is that there's not many situations in life where you can get a better job done while saving time and money, so I take advantage of this one
I do the same. It's one of the easiest to change oil on. I get my Mobil 1 from Costco. You get 6 quarts for $35 in their case. Then I pick up an extra qt. at auto parts store. Whole thing when said and done is around $45 or so....
Old 03-05-11, 07:21 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mikez
Not really, because unlike my Lexus dealer, whom I bought 2 cars from, the Toyota dealer has no incentive to 'treat me right' whether it is a blown engine or a nick on my wheels.
You mean besides their legal obligation to do so?

Seriously dude, your Lexus dealer might have incentive to "make you feel good" and hold you hand, but legally both dealers are exactly equal in how "responsible" they are for damage while the car is in their care.

Hell, Jiffy Lube will replace your motor if they screw it up, let alone a major car company dealership. (not that I ever suggest going to JL)

For example, I had a nail in my tires so I took it to the Lexus dealer to get it changed, since my wheels were too wide and they didnt have the tools, the Lexus dealer gave me a $50 gift card and let me take it down the street to do it at a shop for 40 bucks.
Great story- but it has nothing to do with the topic. Unless the Lexus dealer is the one who put the nail in the tire to begin with.

Now, if you want to pay more for oil changes at Lexus because you feel the "goodwill" is worth the OTHER things they might do for you, that's fine... but your suggestion that the Toyota dealer wouldn't be responsible for damage during service like the Lexus dealer would is simply not true.
Old 03-05-11, 07:30 AM
DreamerzCC
Pole Position

I pay $60 from Driversway for full synthetic for my IS and wifes Pathfinder.....So it comes out the same for me. Driversway has a discount card for oil changes......
Old 03-05-11, 02:34 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Now, if you want to pay more for oil changes at Lexus because you feel the "goodwill" is worth the OTHER things they might do for you, that's fine... but your suggestion that the Toyota dealer wouldn't be responsible for damage during service like the Lexus dealer would is simply not true.
No I am saying the Toyota dealer will probably give you the run around and put up a good fight before they will submit, as opposed to your local dealer which will not make an enemy of you with their first reaction.
Old 03-05-11, 05:10 PM
spicaly
Driver

im still using natural or crude so to say, lexus charges 60, the toyota dealer does it for 14.95
Old 03-05-11, 05:10 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

No I am saying the Toyota dealer will probably give you the run around and put up a good fight before they will submit, as opposed to your local dealer which will not make an enemy of you with their first reaction.
And I'm saying that just doesn't make a lot of sense... both are exactly as responsible as each other for damage done while they have the car. It's possible you live near a toyota dealer with an especially shady rep or something, but apart from an anecdotal local story like there there's simply no basis to conclude that one is any less likely to fix something they broke.

As I said, paying more at the Lexus dealer might have other benefits like being more, er, open-minded, when you are asking for questionable warranty work or something... but fixing something they broke? Other than how nice the snacks are while you wait should be no different.
Old 03-05-11, 07:59 PM
blvd4lyfe
Driver School Candidate

Lexus of Orlando charged me $29.99

Quick Reply: oil change at toyota/beat the price