IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

PCV Valve work recommended by dealer - covered by warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-11, 05:19 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 60k SERVICE - PCV Valve recommended by dealer - covered by warranty?

I just picked up my car today from my dealer where I was having the fuel pressure sensor recall performed, and when I picked it up the service manager said everything was completed and it was good to go.

Then I looked at the service tech's notes and under Comments/Recommendations it said "Rec. tune-up and PCV valve". Now, I just bought this car 3 weeks ago and it was Certified Pre-Owned, so I'm hoping I don't need a tune-up just yet. But I'm confused by the PCV valve recommendation because 1) it just said "PCV Valve", which I assume means replacement, 2) the service manager just let me leave and didn't mention this at all, and 3) the car was just fully inspected for the CPO warranty.

So can someone help me with the following questions?

1) What's a PCV valve and what's it do?

2) Why would a PCV valve replacement be recommended / what problems does it cause or suffer from?

3) Is the replacement of the PCV valve covered by the CPO warranty (or basic 4 yr/50k warranty, since they should be pretty much identical)?

4) Lastly, just curious, what's a tune-up from a Lexus dealer entail?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited by calvin2376; 03-01-11 at 05:31 AM.
Old 03-01-11, 05:30 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Not much response haha. Well I did call my service manager today and he said the PCV valve is usually replaced at the 60k service, at which point the spark plugs are recommended as well. But when I bought the car 3 weeks ago with 56k miles on it, I had the dealership check the spark plugs and they said they were good as new and that they didn't need to be replaced. Spark plugs at 60k are recommended if needed, not required. I assume the PCV valve is the same (they didn't actually check either on my car, just wrote it down because it was close to 60k).

Anyone with experience on this? Did you have either done at your 60k service or not?
Old 03-01-11, 05:45 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by calvin2376
Not much response haha. Well I did call my service manager today and he said the PCV valve is usually replaced at the 60k service, at which point the spark plugs are recommended as well. But when I bought the car 3 weeks ago with 56k miles on it, I had the dealership check the spark plugs and they said they were good as new and that they didn't need to be replaced. Spark plugs at 60k are recommended if needed, not required. I assume the PCV valve is the same (they didn't actually check either on my car, just wrote it down because it was close to 60k).

Anyone with experience on this? Did you have either done at your 60k service or not?
Actually, read your owners manual- Spark plugs are due to be changed every 60k miles, so you're due for those.

The PCV valve is not listed on the scheduled maintenance at all however.
Old 03-01-11, 05:59 AM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

Yeah I don't think you have to replace pcv unless it leaking. As far as for the plugs it a service dealer don't have to change it when they sell it unless it at or over 60k service.
Old 03-01-11, 06:10 AM
calvin2376
Racer

I thought I read in the manual that plugs are recommended at 60k, not required. They were checked and the dealer said they look good, nearly new, so I don't think I'd need to change them just yet..

What do you think? If the plugs look fine, do I still need to replace them at 60k?

And good to know about the PCV valve. Anyone know if that's covered by warranty if it's faulty/leaking? I didn't think it'd be a maintenance item.
Old 03-01-11, 06:20 AM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Sooner or later they will need to replace. But everyone on here has changed them at 60k it a peace of mind thing.It don't think pcv a warranty item but you can ask them if you have an issue with it.
Old 03-01-11, 06:33 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

If the PCV valve is faulty I'd certainly ask for it to be replaced free under warranty- it's not a normal service item.

But yeah, the plugs are indeed scheduled for replacement every 60k and that's certainly when I intend to do mine (Bad news is it's the most expensive scheduled service item on the car... apart from that nothing in the life of the vehicle (on the schedule anyway) ought cost more than like $50-100ish from even the dealer, less of course if you do yourself).
Old 03-01-11, 08:19 AM
MIA_LEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If this PCV Valve has to do with the A/C drain....Have them perform the service immediately! Mine happened under warranty but they replaced the carpet in my car because the A/C was draining into the car....If this is the PCV Valve...
Old 03-01-11, 08:21 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

PCV is positive crankcase ventilation- it's part of the emissions/exhaust system- no relation to air conditioning.
Old 03-01-11, 08:43 AM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Im with Kurt if the pcv is faulty it would threw a CEL.
Old 03-01-11, 09:45 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Originally Posted by laobo979
Im with Kurt if the pcv is faulty it would threw a CEL.
I thought that was the case, and I have an OBDII scanner and before I took it into the dealer I checked and there were no codes for Engine or A/T. The service manager I talked to said the service tech wrote "Rec. tune-up and PCV valve" because both are recommended at 60k service. But it sounds like from Kurtz (and I'll check when I get home, I just don't have it on me) that PCV isn't listed anywhere in the maintenance schedule, so if this is in fact bad it should be replaced under warranty.

Not sure why he'd recommend PCV though if there are no issues.
Old 03-01-11, 09:54 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Probably so that they could charge you $100 for a part that cost them $5

Important safety tip though- Never, ever, ask for the "X miles" service.

They'll charge 3x as much but not do any extra work... (for example my dealer gets $150 for the 15,000 mile service...but only $50 for an oil change... yet the only thing you need at 15k miles is... an oil change.)

instead just ask for the services actually called for at X miles.

in the case of 60k that would be:

change spark plugs
change brake fluid
change oil

change cabin/air filters (do these yourself, takes 5 minutes and will probably save you $50-100 compared to paying a dealer for it)
Old 03-01-11, 11:59 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Probably so that they could charge you $100 for a part that cost them $5

Important safety tip though- Never, ever, ask for the "X miles" service.

They'll charge 3x as much but not do any extra work... (for example my dealer gets $150 for the 15,000 mile service...but only $50 for an oil change... yet the only thing you need at 15k miles is... an oil change.)

instead just ask for the services actually called for at X miles.

in the case of 60k that would be:

change spark plugs
change brake fluid
change oil

change cabin/air filters (do these yourself, takes 5 minutes and will probably save you $50-100 compared to paying a dealer for it)
Thanks for the tip, that's helpful. I'll do just that when I go in for the service.

What do dealers charge for spark plug replacement + change brake fluid? Oil change will be covered for me.
Old 03-01-11, 01:20 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by calvin2376
Thanks for the tip, that's helpful. I'll do just that when I go in for the service.

What do dealers charge for spark plug replacement + change brake fluid? Oil change will be covered for me.
Brake fluid I've mostly seen quotes in the 100-150 range from a dealer (should be about an hour of labor, though the amount per hour they charge varies by dealer)

Spark plugs I've seen varying quotes in the 250-450 range so seems like a fair bit of variance there. I'm probably going to do this myself when the time comes but if I couldn't for some reason I still don't think I'd pay more than 2 hours of labor for it, plus the cost of plugs (which are around $75ish I think from Sewell.... I imagine most dealers mark them up a fair bit more though)
Old 03-01-11, 02:18 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I wouldn't worry too much about the PCV valve...you got the CPO 100K miles warranty!

You should consider changing the plugs @60K

Quick Reply: PCV Valve work recommended by dealer - covered by warranty?