Browse all: Tires and Wheels Guide
Print Wikipost

Tpms trick with spare tire?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-11, 04:13 PM
jnguyen87
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put the sensors in my spare tire too. Works great! And if something were to happen I couldn't use my spare anyway. In have an awd, so I can't run the spare and my aftermarket at the same time anyway
Old 02-14-11, 04:42 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by embolism
Can any shop program the ID's in or do you have to get it done at a stealership?

Anything wrong with these? Others on ebay are selling for much more...

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Set-4-New-OEM-Lex...item43a495e6ce

just looking for a set for my winter tires on stock 17's 225/45 all around... thx
Other shops can do it if they have the right equipment. Toyota dealers may be cheaper if your local Lexus dealer is charging a lot.

Jeff
Old 02-14-11, 04:54 PM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by montgb
You're trying to do what I did when I had wheels that didn't support TPMS. Take all your sensors and put them in your spare tire (no need to "mount" them, just deflate the tire & toss them in, reinflate). Works like a champ - it's the same principle as the "TPMS Pipe Bomb".

And in case you're wondering, I actually DID have to use my spare tire once will the TPMS still in them. Surprisingly, they survived the ordeal.
Wow, it's amazing that they survived.

+1 for buying sensors on eBay. You can get FOUR for $50-$60.
Old 02-15-11, 04:29 PM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
The sensors don't get programmed, the car gets programmed with the sensor's ID.

There is a reader to read the ID after the tires are mounted, or (preferably) you can write down the ID before getting them mounted. It then gets added to the car's computer as either the main or sub set.

Jeff
jesus everythings a hassle, lol. So once I buy the ebay ones I have to take them to lexus or another shop and have them programmed? There's not a DIY around here that I can do it myself?

I plan on buying the ebay ones but doing some kind of trick with them for now. When the tires on my new wheels eventually wear in a year or so ill then put the ebay sensors on.
Old 02-15-11, 04:31 PM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Can any shop program the ID's in or do you have to get it done at a stealership?

just looking for a set for my winter tires on stock 17's 225/45 all around... thx
yeah are these the ones you guys are buying?
Old 02-15-11, 07:03 PM
CleverName
Pole Position

I bought straight from OE instead of fleabay.

I wouldn't consider putting them in my spare. Instead I got the idea from here or another Toyota forum, but I just built this "pipe bomb" for maybe 10 or 15 bucks .
I have all 4 sensors inside, and can get to them with a simple saw or Dremel if I want them back...

Works good...
Vince

Old 02-15-11, 10:38 PM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

^ That thing is pretty cool.
Old 02-16-11, 01:19 AM
Rufio808
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

My Sensors didnt fit in the Volks, So I just put them all into my spare "with no reprogramming" and its perfect ever since
Old 02-16-11, 05:42 AM
embolism
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Rufio808
My Sensors didnt fit in the Volks, So I just put them all into my spare "with no reprogramming" and its perfect ever since
that works because you're using the same sensors that are already programmed into the car. Car doesn't care what rims you have them on or whether they are all together or at the four corners of the car, just that the surrounding pressure is at the programmed pressure.

My original sensors are sitting in my garage in my summer rims and tires. I need a set of tpms to put in my car for the set of winter rims and tires I'm currently running. Once I get them they need to be programmed into the computer...
Old 02-16-11, 05:42 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by flektone
jesus everythings a hassle, lol. So once I buy the ebay ones I have to take them to lexus or another shop and have them programmed? There's not a DIY around here that I can do it myself?
Not unless you own a programming tool, no.

All dealers can do it, SOME local tire shops can do it cheaper but you'll likely need to call around and ask.

This is if you're using a "new to your car" set.

Folks re-using their existing sensors but moving them to a pipe or spare won't have to do this since those sensors are already programmed into their car.
Old 02-16-11, 11:50 AM
aaronww
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried to take my car to a local tire shop to do it, they had the scan tool and everything and said that it worked, but the next day the tmps light turned back on. I ended up taking it into lexus and they took care of it for $105.
Old 02-16-11, 02:25 PM
embolism
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by aaronww
I tried to take my car to a local tire shop to do it, they had the scan tool and everything and said that it worked, but the next day the tmps light turned back on. I ended up taking it into lexus and they took care of it for $105.
things are way more expensive in Canada. I think someone here said they wanted $100 per sensor to program...

for that they can s**k me
Old 02-16-11, 02:46 PM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

I called lexus for a quote of a $100. But the guy said he needs the ID# off the sensor in order to program it. So even if I wanted to buy them from tirerack and have them install them along with mounting and balancing the tire how the hell am I going to get the ID#'s off the sensor then? The dealer said they would have to take the tire off in order get the ID# off the sensor. Unless tirerack gives you paper work with the ID#'s?
Old 02-16-11, 04:53 PM
CleverName
Pole Position

I called lexus for a quote of a $100. But the guy said he needs the ID# off the sensor in order to program it. So even if I wanted to buy them from tirerack and have them install them along with mounting and balancing the tire how the hell am I going to get the ID#'s off the sensor then? The dealer said they would have to take the tire off in order get the ID# off the sensor. Unless tirerack gives you paper work with the ID#'s?
Most dealers have a hand-held sensor that can read the code just by holding it next to the tire.
Heck there is even an iphone app for it!

Last edited by CleverName; 02-16-11 at 07:06 PM.
Old 02-16-11, 07:58 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

The IDs are physically written on the sensors AFAIK, just write them down before they are installed.

Quick Reply: Tpms trick with spare tire?