IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Viper 5902 on 2008 Lexus IS 350

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-11, 08:03 PM
ISBU
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vital
can anyone speak to the quality of the factory alarm? is it the same as a standard $100 aftermarket alarm?

I'm kinda interested in a aftermarket alarm now that you mention about the range.. I live in an apartment and if my alarm were to go off I wouldn't be able to hear it..
Factory alarm are not the best. The range are 15 to 30 feet. It can only be triggered when the doors, trunk and hood are open.
Old 02-15-11, 09:06 PM
MDK1116
Driver School Candidate

@funglenn Very interesting. It looks like yours was indeed wired differently then mine. My installer told me there there was no way to unlock doors with DEI remote after the car was remote started with it. He informed me that I had to to establish a relationship with the OEM remote(acting as the key) and the car to before being able to drive. It's a big inconvenience the way it is installed. I may call back to complain to see if he'll work on it some more. He spent 6 hours on it and this is how it ended up. As far as not arming the car, I can't do that. My complex has had several vehicles broke into and I love having the ease of mind that I will be informed when a sensor goes off directly to my color DEI remote. The only aspect I really want to change is being able to remote start car while doors stayed locked (so no one can hop in car and take off) but then be able to unlock doors with same DEI remote and hop in car and take off without having to cut the car off. Do you think they should cover this for free? Anything specific my installer may have messed up on that I can pre warn him about? Thanks bud!

@apokC
1. I bought my module and Viper 5902 online for $340 shipped. I then spent $200 for the install, totaling $540. Always cheaper to buy online instead of at the shop.
2. Yes, you must have both remotes.

@jmags I had the same debate with myself. However, Personally, the remote start and the sensor notifying security features outweighed the convenience of being too lazy to pull a remote out of my pocket haha. I understand either way though.

Last edited by MDK1116; 02-15-11 at 09:10 PM.
Old 02-15-11, 09:16 PM
ISBU
Lexus Test Driver

^^ It can be unlock while the engine is running with the remote starter. He need to go in the driver side door to tap in for unlock and lock wire.
Old 02-16-11, 06:52 AM
funglenn
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MDK1116
@funglenn Very interesting. It looks like yours was indeed wired differently then mine. My installer told me there there was no way to unlock doors with DEI remote after the car was remote started with it. He informed me that I had to to establish a relationship with the OEM remote(acting as the key) and the car to before being able to drive. It's a big inconvenience the way it is installed. I may call back to complain to see if he'll work on it some more. He spent 6 hours on it and this is how it ended up. As far as not arming the car, I can't do that. My complex has had several vehicles broke into and I love having the ease of mind that I will be informed when a sensor goes off directly to my color DEI remote. The only aspect I really want to change is being able to remote start car while doors stayed locked (so no one can hop in car and take off) but then be able to unlock doors with same DEI remote and hop in car and take off without having to cut the car off. Do you think they should cover this for free? Anything specific my installer may have messed up on that I can pre warn him about? Thanks bud!

@apokC
1. I bought my module and Viper 5902 online for $340 shipped. I then spent $200 for the install, totaling $540. Always cheaper to buy online instead of at the shop.
2. Yes, you must have both remotes.

@jmags I had the same debate with myself. However, Personally, the remote start and the sensor notifying security features outweighed the convenience of being too lazy to pull a remote out of my pocket haha. I understand either way though.
You certainly do need to go back, if they are an MCEP certified installer at an official DEI dealer they need to do it right. They will need to remove the driver side door panel to get at the wiring there..assuming they also used the right module for the key portion, which it does not sound they did if he mentioned stuff about the key needing to sync with the car and that baloney. DEI has a module--not a third party or universal, but made for smart keys. My installer forgot to hook my side mirror controls the first time, so I know for a fact he took the door panel off.... good luck
Old 02-17-11, 04:23 PM
MDK1116
Driver School Candidate

@funglenn thanks for all the insight. I'll be contacting them again to try and get it worked out. Fingers crossed this time!!! If installed correctly, the Viper 5902 is very sweet!!!
Old 02-17-11, 09:16 PM
funglenn
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MDK1116
@funglenn thanks for all the insight. I'll be contacting them again to try and get it worked out. Fingers crossed this time!!! If installed correctly, the Viper 5902 is very sweet!!!
i did like the 5902, but thought the remote was a bit big--it was the size of our OEM Fob. The 5901 had the range and was a bit smaller.

good luck!
Old 02-18-11, 04:35 AM
MDK1116
Driver School Candidate

@funglenn I don't really mind the size, but you are correct it's about the size of the OEM fob. However, the 5902 has full color display and the 5901 does not. I'm a sucker for latest and greatest technology haha. Cheers!
Old 02-18-11, 02:52 PM
chrisyano
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You definitely need to get that rewired. The function you are looking for is there. The only function lost is the ability to just open the door (unlocked by the fob) when the car is locked and the Smart Start is armed.

You don't need to worry about someone taking off with your car after you remote start it because the car will not move unless it detects the key first. It will also lock itself automatically after starting the engine. Mine does.
Old 02-22-11, 01:31 AM
ApokC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need 2 key fobs? Eh... I don't like that
Old 02-22-11, 08:49 AM
audiovascu
Driver School Candidate

MDK1116 did you get all the answers to your questions???
Old 03-05-11, 06:35 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

im reading a few of these posts an im amazed at the lack of info your installers are giving u... there a modules avail for ALL toyota &v lexus models... i did an install on my 07 LS460 on tues it took an hr maybe less (w remote start, tilt sensor & interior motion sensor).. i can rem start the car get in an drive off no probs..i can also use the oem fob to do most functions... (except rem start for now..waiting on feed back of the actual sequence w oem fob)rolling windows up & down not a prob(depending on model windows up & down are avail factory... hold lock or unlock for about 5 secs an watch) or turn key in door.. (my old 98 gs300 had it....lol) add 1 wire an pulse 5 secs all close or all open...

i've been a certified installer for 22yrs..

if u pm me yr make & model as well what issues or items you'd like maybe i can help
Old 03-19-11, 06:27 PM
binh
Rookie

can you still unlock the doors by putting your hand in the door jam?
Old 03-20-11, 02:26 AM
ISBU
Lexus Test Driver

^^yes you can as long as the car is not remote started.
Old 03-20-11, 07:49 AM
funglenn
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by binh
can you still unlock the doors by putting your hand in the door jam?
You can use the door sensor only if you do not arm the alarm, if you lock the door and use the factory system, it works just fine. If you arm the viper you MUST use the viper FOB.

I rarely use my alarm just the remote start portion of the 5901, just the factory system, so not a big deal to me.
Old 04-04-11, 08:26 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Planning to get the Remote Start for my Viper 5901. Do you guys remember which Proximity Key Bypass module you guys used?

Is it this?
http://cgi.ebay.com/XPRESSKIT-1101T-...aultDomainQ5f0

I know there is a few. But just not sure which one is the right one for the IS.

Quick Reply: Viper 5902 on 2008 Lexus IS 350