IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Windshield and Insurance Claim

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-11, 09:37 PM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Windshield and Insurance Claim

I have cracked windshield and a deductable of $100 should I make a insurance claim.. will it cost the insurance premium to go up?

That said if I go with another Toyota Lexus Windshield, is it more or less durable than aftermarket windshield?
Old 02-01-11, 09:38 PM
willfxp
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ask your insurance agent. Only way to know for sure.
Old 02-01-11, 10:00 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You may have the glass protection on your policy which is meant for a smaller claim and won't raise your rates. I'd call to double check. Not sure on the second question. I know PPG is a good windshield maker and tint in the upper windshield sometimes costs more. The previous owner of my car had the windshield replaced with a Lexus one cause it says it at the bottom of the windshield.

On another note, come on by the Lexus meet this Sat in Dublin
Old 02-01-11, 10:10 PM
dasmokedog
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BTW, making a damaged window claim will not cause your insurance to increase. Many states, in fact, require the insurance company to repair or replace the glass free of charge. This is dependent on the state insurance laws.
Old 02-01-11, 10:10 PM
filthywet
Driver

check on that with ur insurance. my deductible was 500 so i didnt report it lol. i just got the windshield replaced for 205. installed.
Old 02-01-11, 10:41 PM
Silec
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A rock hit my windshield while I was driving on the freeway a few months back. I got it replace with an OEM windshield for free with no harm done to my premium.
Old 02-02-11, 06:36 AM
kuuqi
Lead Lap

I actually had a rock hit my windshield a few days ago and left a crack that I'm expecting to expand over time. I'll be replacing it once winters over.

But depending on what policy you have from your insurance (I have comprehensive), they will fix/replace your windshield for free once a year. You might have this policy so your best bet is to call your agent and ask what you have.

PPG makes a good aftermarket windshield but if you must, you can always request for an OEM glass. I'd be more concerned about the installer more than the glass. Most installers do not seal the glass on properly which allows excess wind noise and worst case a leak. Make sure you find someone reputable prior to the installation.

You do want to be careful about making excessive claims. Meaning if you claim your glass once a year, you look to be riskier of a client. Your rate may not necessarily go up but it might not go down as much over the same period of time. Or when you shop for new insurance, it may have been cheaper if you didn't make such claim(s).

I'd recommend not to replace a windshield until it's cracked (like in your case) or it just has too many smaller chips in it. My windshield has so many small chips that I honestly cannot see very well sometimes when the sun beats down.

Hope that helps you in some way
Old 02-02-11, 07:45 AM
willfxp
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kuuqi
I actually had a rock hit my windshield a few days ago and left a crack that I'm expecting to expand over time. I'll be replacing it once winters over.
My policy will cover getting chips and small cracks sealed for free.

This is why it's best to just call your agent and ask what types of things your policy covers. He's not going to raise your rates just because you asked.
Old 02-02-11, 08:22 AM
wildtigg3r
Driver School Candidate

If your insurance does cover windshield replacement, check to see if you can get it done at Lexus or do you have to use a recommended windshield replacement company from your insurance. Sometimes insurance companies go the cheap route and get a not-so-great company to do it and you just end up getting a cheap windshield that will break/crack again.
Old 02-02-11, 10:39 AM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I am more concerned about the quality of the installation, I had safelite install on my Scion and there was a wind weezing noise on the freeway it was very annoying..

is the 2IS hard to do right..? I have no rain sensor just the electronic mirror.

I feel aftermarket glass is more durable than Toyota, although hard to test, I just noticed it was harder to chip or crack the aftermarket glass after the replacement. But do they offer have the same UV protection. If I file a claim then I don't really care how much thigns cost.

and the crack starts from the top of the windhshield and grew longer in just a few hours, I am bumped and in no mood to go to the meet now.