IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

DIY: Changing the battery

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-12, 12:58 PM
mikeho
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Optima RedTop battery is terrible

So when I originally wrote this DIY, I had bought an Optima RedTop after looking around in the forums and searching online. What a terrible battery! This battery lasted a little more than a year for me. I installed the battery in Jan 2011 and had to replace it again in April 2012. I think the battery really died back in March, but I tried saving it with two jumps and a recharge.

Avoid this battery!
Optima:
Amazon Amazon

What I do recommend right now is the Odyssey battery. This is what I've installed recently and it seems to be pretty good.
Amazon Amazon

I also recommend getting the battery charger/tender, which really helps keep the battery in great shape
Amazon Amazon

I'll update if this battery dies too. My OEM battery lasted 4 years, so it was a disappointment to have the Optima die so fast.
Old 07-25-12, 12:19 AM
obicruz
Driver School Candidate

Exclamation Don't forget the windows

I read every entry of this thread because I just replaced the battery of my '07 and after I did none of the windows were controllable from the driver's door control. In enother thread, I found that the answer is in the user's manual (page 46).
Here they are so you don't have to look.
Step 1: Open the wondow halfway.
Step 2: Fully close the window by pulling the switch up and continue holding the switch up for one second.
The indicator on the switch changes from a flashing pattern to being on when initial settings are complete.
Old 07-25-12, 01:13 AM
GiGAS
Rookie

wait why is the battery in OP so expensive? costco batteries are like 70 bucks tops.
Old 02-26-13, 05:48 AM
ls1muscle
Driver School Candidate

I just replaced the battery with a Duralast Gold from Autozone. The middle bar would not fit over the plastic cover whatsoever. So I had to trim the plastic cover so the bar would slide over the battery itself.
Old 10-30-13, 01:43 PM
sid411
Driver School Candidate

Nice writeup !!!
Old 01-03-14, 05:26 PM
Premier
Pit Crew

I'm finally going to change the battery on my '06 is350, it lasted a while. I'll be replacing it with the Optima Red Top and will be following the OP's diy + this video http://www.carcarekiosk.com/video/20...eplace_battery

A few questions for the OP or anyone else that can answer
1) You mentioned the plastic surround around the battery, are you referring to the cover with the rivet on Step 3 of the video?
2) Was a height adapter needed to replace the Optima battery with?

Thanks in advanced!
Old 01-06-14, 07:26 AM
mikeho
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Premier
I'm finally going to change the battery on my '06 is350, it lasted a while. I'll be replacing it with the Optima Red Top and will be following the OP's diy + this video http://www.carcarekiosk.com/video/20...eplace_battery

A few questions for the OP or anyone else that can answer
1) You mentioned the plastic surround around the battery, are you referring to the cover with the rivet on Step 3 of the video?
2) Was a height adapter needed to replace the Optima battery with?

Thanks in advanced!
No, it's not the cover with the rivet. You'll have to remove the cover in order to see the battery in the first place. But there's a plastic "surround" around the sides of the battery. You'll have to remove that in order to get the battery out. Once you take a look at the battery, you'll see immediately what I mean.

I honestly don't remember if I used a height adapter. It's been so long... I think one of the batteries I used as a replacement came with an adapter and I used that, but I didn't go out of my way to buy an adapter. So if it doesn't come with one, you don't need to use it.
Old 01-08-14, 07:32 AM
Premier
Pit Crew

**** those clips are a pita! I'm afraid of breaking them off. So basically I just have to stick a screwdriver in the slots where the arrow points and it'll pop off?

Old 01-08-14, 11:44 PM
FI4runner
Intermediate

Received 85 Likes on 41 Posts

Correct. I just did this - and thought to myself everyone really makes that clip out to be a big deal - it's not that bad compared to pulling a transmission out I suppose. LOL
I just used a super-long flathead screwdriver and came in from the top.
Someone else mentioned to use a short stubby screwdriver - I've dropped enough **** in my days to know the short stubby wasn't a good idea. I didn't care to spend another 30 minutes pulling skids off to get to the screwdriver I dropped.
Use a big ole long flat-head, and you should be good to go.
Old 01-13-14, 03:04 PM
ocean3737
Driver School Candidate

Does anyone have experience with changing battery with car running?
Old 01-13-14, 05:04 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by ocean3737
Does anyone have experience with changing battery with car running?
not recommended....and its dangerous...
Old 08-21-14, 11:11 AM
waiman3
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just change my battery to a red top.
Now I see a Nav "Agreed" alert message every-time I start the car, never see that before.
(few years ago I got the 2007 IS250 used, don't know what the prior owner did to disable the screen)

Did a search here and on google, don't want to spend money to do the upgrade DVD route.
If that alert was off before battery change, must be a way to disable it again?
Old 11-02-14, 12:28 PM
bcgaines46
Driver School Candidate

Is there a photo of how to disconnect the battery from the battery case? I can't pry the cable holder loose to remove the cables.
Old 02-07-15, 10:52 AM
VTsuckah
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Those clips were ridiculous. I dont know how you all were able to get enough of an angle to put a screw driver to release them. I tried all sizes. I ended up cutting the damn things at the fold crease with an exacto knife out of frustration. The clips still work and hold the cables in place securely.
Old 02-07-15, 07:08 PM
xhackr
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeho
Just a word of caution for everyone regarding the battery (and something that I had just learned): having the light switch set to AUTO when you're away from the car for a long time (in my case 2 weeks) will drain the battery and it won't start. So unless you're driving it on a regular basis, don't have the headlights on AUTO!

Turns out most manuals on other cars tell you this. I skimmed through my manual and I couldn't find any warning about this at all. Go figure.
That didn’t make sense to me, so to be sure, I just tested the parasitic load with the switch in the off and auto position. Both were the same - ~ 25mA. Based on that, unless there is an operational failure, I see no reason this would be true.

Quick Reply: DIY: Changing the battery