IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

DIY: Changing the battery

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-11, 01:53 PM
mikeho
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Use as big of a flat-head screwdriver as you can to wedge in there and pry it open. It seems like they have a specialized bendable tool that can get into the slot and push it open. I think I had one small screwdriver pushing in the slot and another to pry it open.
Old 06-18-11, 07:22 AM
intellis
Pole Position

Good DIY
I will be replacing mine in two months
Old 09-18-11, 08:46 PM
Little E
Lexus Champion

My car will be 4 years old 12/2011. It has a little under 23k miles on it, but my battery recently died. I'm guessing since I live in a desert climate (very hot summers), that's what killed it after only 3 1/2 years (pretty much the normal lifespan for car batteries in Bakersfield, CA).

Anyways, I replaced it yesterday. I decided on the Duralast Gold.

Originally Posted by weenstan
That stupid clip on the cover is retarded, mine was basically permanently attached took a lot of brute force to get it off lol.
Originally Posted by 2IS 'R' US
Wow...I got so fed up after messing with the clips on the side of the cover for a while I just cut them off. Then zip tied the cables back on it
Yes!! This part caused me to yell a few nasty words, but I finally got the plastic housing detached from the side clip. By far the hardest part of removing the battery.

Originally Posted by CWS
My battery is 5 yrs old, and never needed any water, yet. But, I decided to replace it while I have the time, instead of when I'm late for golf, or something else really important. Consumer Reports latest battery ratings rated an Interstate model best, but the Duralast Gold 24-DLG, above, is almost as good, and cheaper. I wanted to keep the plastic housing, and the Interstate is 11" long, where this one is 10.25", like the Panasonic it came with, so I went with the Duralast. Other dimensions were about equal on either of them.

I had a bit of trouble getting the top clamp back on over the plastic, so I cut a little of the plastic off, in the front, so the clamp is touching just the battery. Maybe I just didn't wiggle the battery/plastic enough to get it settled in good, but cutting the plastic was easy with a box cutter.

This is the first time I've ever replaced a perfectly good battery, and I feel great, knowing it's not going to die at just the most inopportune time.

P.S. I left the handle on there, too. No reason to remove it.
Yeah the clamp/brace was a challenge too. After a few tries of re-positioning the battery, I got both pieces of the brace to fit over the battery just fine without having to cut the plastic housing. I ended up tying a piece of string through the hole on the vertical piece of the brace/clamp, and I had my dad pull/hold the string up while I placed the new battery into position. Otherwise it's really easy to knock that part of the brace out of place making the horizontal piece hard to fit over the battery.

I barely press my button, and she starts up fine!!

I left the handle on it too.

Last edited by Little E; 09-18-11 at 08:56 PM.
Old 09-19-11, 08:21 AM
wanpon1
Driver School Candidate

Which duralast gold battery did you use? I'm planning on replacing my battery soon. When I search for it for my IS350, I get 2 versions: 25-DLG and 24-DLG.
Old 09-19-11, 08:41 AM
APynckel
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mikeho
Ha! Around the same time for another 06? Must be some kill switch on the batteries to make us spend more money
Guy, chemical reactions degrade / deposit the anodes/cathodes in your battery. Over time, the cells will die with no more electrolysis can occur. Batteries do not last forever.
Old 09-19-11, 09:11 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

My '06 has a build date of Feb 2006 and the original battery is still going strong. It just sat for two months in the garage while we were away and it started right up, BUT it is always on a Battery Tender. In my experience a BT will extend the life of a battery by years if consistently used.
Old 09-19-11, 12:16 PM
istarzan
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Anyone know where you can get the stock battery? I like how it looks with the little window. Think I need to replace mine soon.
Old 09-19-11, 01:42 PM
Little E
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by wanpon1
Which duralast gold battery did you use? I'm planning on replacing my battery soon. When I search for it for my IS350, I get 2 versions: 25-DLG and 24-DLG.
I got the 24-DLG. Even though the 25 was listed online, the store I went to didn't have it in stock. I think the others also went with the 24??
Old 09-19-11, 01:44 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

25-DLG has less CCA but cost more????

24-DLG: that will be my next battery :P

I wonder why toyota make this so hard to replace?????
Old 09-19-11, 04:17 PM
Clay Easto
Pole Position

1) That is an awesome DIY write up
2) I am too lazy to change my battery myself. I had Sam's Club change it with the Interstate battery mentioned earlier on this thread - $77 with installation and tax.
Old 09-19-11, 08:56 PM
birador
Lead Lap

appreciate you're write up!
Old 09-19-11, 09:27 PM
Lexustom
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Clay Easto
1) That is an awesome DIY write up
2) I am too lazy to change my battery myself. I had Sam's Club change it with the Interstate battery mentioned earlier on this thread - $77 with installation and tax.
Wow, I should have had Sam's install mine as well. I bought from them an Energizer that was supposed to fit. NOPE. Too tall. The saddle clamp would NOT work because of the height difference. All worked out well however and I put in a new Toyota 84 month battery for a great price.
Old 09-19-11, 09:36 PM
cr3ativ3x
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yellow top battery ftw!
Old 09-19-11, 10:25 PM
intellis
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cr3ativ3x
yellow top battery ftw!
So I' am new to the battery lingo. Which yellow top are you referring too? The Optima brand or the Duralast brand? I' m going to guess Optima, because they also make the self proclaim "Red top" batteries...am I right?
S/N why are Optima's red top batteries so expensive?
Old 09-20-11, 07:57 PM
ChickenIS
Pole Position

Just put a Diehard Platinum in the wifes IS last week. Great battery, but damn e$pensif.

Quick Reply: DIY: Changing the battery