IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

DIY: Changing the battery

Old 02-08-15, 01:14 AM
mikeho
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xhackr
That didn’t make sense to me, so to be sure, I just tested the parasitic load with the switch in the off and auto position. Both were the same - ~ 25mA. Based on that, unless there is an operational failure, I see no reason this would be true.
Hmmm.. I never actually tested it when I had my IS, so you may be right. On the other hand, I did have aftermarket Xenons, so I'm not sure what effect that had on the battery. I would assume that the voltage would have been higher with mine since the wattage is lower and the amps should theoretically be the same, but who knows.

Either way, my battery died a lot faster than it was supposed to and I never left the lights on inside the car. It was a high mileage IS (160K in about 5 years, IIRC), so maybe there were other factors as well, but the only two things drawing power that were not spec were my headlights and my iPhone. I can't imagine my iPhone drawing that much power.
Old 02-08-15, 07:58 AM
carlos3366
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by digicidal
I found an online dealer that will sell one for the low, low price of only $933!! It was such a bargain I bought 5 of them so I'm all stocked up.

Seriously... I know it's a very well made battery - but you can buy 4-5 Optima Red Tops or about 12 of the Costo batteries I actually purchased... for the price of one replacement OEM battery. If I'd had my 07 350 for 10-12 years... I might consider it worthwhile. But since it was having problems holding a charge after 5 years or so... I'm gonna say it's definitely not worth the price.

I'll replace more often if it means putting the $850+ in savings into something more useful. You'd think it had over 1000CCA for that price!

If you're still interested here's the link: ONE PRICEY BATTERY.

FWIW... the Optima batteries are also AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) type batteries... they don't need refilling, and don't leak even if mounted upside down (although I can't figure out how that would be helpful). In any case - my guess is they are only that expensive because they are a very specifically engineered size that is custom to the Lexus/Toyota engineering spec. My wife had one in her RAV4 as well... which was very good, but it didn't last as long as the RedTop I replaced it with has.
Maybe they use them batteries in f16 fighters hence upside down.
Old 02-08-15, 09:16 AM
xhackr
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeho
Hmmm.. I never actually tested it when I had my IS, so you may be right. On the other hand, I did have aftermarket Xenons, so I'm not sure what effect that had on the battery. I would assume that the voltage would have been higher with mine since the wattage is lower and the amps should theoretically be the same, but who knows.

Either way, my battery died a lot faster than it was supposed to and I never left the lights on inside the car. It was a high mileage IS (160K in about 5 years, IIRC), so maybe there were other factors as well, but the only two things drawing power that were not spec were my headlights and my iPhone. I can't imagine my iPhone drawing that much power.
Afterwards, I searched and I found others making anecdotal connections of dead batteries to the auto position, but I found no one who actually tested it.

I agree, iPhone would not be an issue. Headlights the same, unless there was a moderate resistance short.

That high mileage could be a consideration. I’d also be looking at the charging circuit… e.g., alternator, especially diodes. Testing just alternator voltage may not be enough.

Last edited by xhackr; 02-08-15 at 09:21 AM.
Old 04-11-16, 09:36 AM
deestyle28
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeho
So when I originally wrote this DIY, I had bought an Optima RedTop after looking around in the forums and searching online. What a terrible battery! This battery lasted a little more than a year for me. I installed the battery in Jan 2011 and had to replace it again in April 2012. I think the battery really died back in March, but I tried saving it with two jumps and a recharge.

Avoid this battery!
Optima: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ms_ohs_product

What I do recommend right now is the Odyssey battery. This is what I've installed recently and it seems to be pretty good.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ms_ohs_product

I also recommend getting the battery charger/tender, which really helps keep the battery in great shape
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ms_ohs_product

I'll update if this battery dies too. My OEM battery lasted 4 years, so it was a disappointment to have the Optima die so fast.
Wassup mikeho!

Sorry to bring this thread back up from the dead. Just wanted to know how your odyssey battery is holding up thus far. I have to replace mine but don't know which is the best battery for our IS without any fitment issues. Let me know! Thanks!
Old 04-12-16, 10:03 AM
mikeho
Lead Lap

Hey deestyle28,

Sorry, man! I traded-in my car a while back. The manual transmission drove me crazy and nothing I could do could fix it.

I haven't made the jump yet, but I would suggest looking at Ohm. http://www.gizmag.com/ohm-smart-car-battery/39053/ As long as you don't plan on doing tailgates without the engine running, I think this might be a good bet.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 04-13-16, 02:18 PM
Silver09IS
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for putting this up man this should help a lotta of people
Old 04-13-16, 10:05 PM
srt1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I can't believe this is an actual DIY
Old 05-13-18, 02:51 PM
SCANDAL
10th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you for the write up.
Old 05-22-23, 01:09 AM
Kost9ntyn
2nd gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've made a short video how to handle clause 5
(5. Lexus has a plastic surrounding the battery. The two leads for the positive terminal are attached to this surround. In order to remove it, if you can get a screwdriver into that narrow space, there are two slots that it goes into to release the wires. I just pried it open.).
I hope it will help.

The following users liked this post:
primavera (05-22-23)
Old 05-22-23, 02:29 PM
coilz
Driver School Candidate

Changed the battery on my 2012 IS250 last fall. Like others that cable clip on the side of the battery gave me issues. What worked for me was making a 90degree pick by hammering the pointy end of a metal nail, need about an inch, hammer it 90degree and flatten the tip till it fits in the slot. Was then able to pick the latch.