IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

New is350 F Sport - Paddle Shift problems?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-11, 03:38 PM
aaronklaw
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New is350 F Sport - Paddle Shift problems?

My 2011 IS 350 F Sport is about a month old now, and while I rarely use the paddle shifters I just noticed something today that wasn't happening after i bought the car....namely it doesn't work. I'll shift over and neither the light with the gear placement is lit up on the dash, nor do I feel it shift if I shift up and down. Am going to take it back to the dealer to ask, but I figured I'd see if anyone on here has experienced the same problems?
Old 01-16-11, 03:40 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Can't say I've experienced this problem. Definitely go back to the dealer and let us know what happens
Old 01-16-11, 03:47 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First off you should know that the paddles are not shifters. They are merely gear limiters. You have the ability to limit the upper gear on the car as long as your speed is sufficiently low.

Next, you can temporarily use the paddle gear limiters while in "D" mode, but only if you are moving. You cannot temporarily limit gears in "D" mode if you are at a standstill.

Finally, while at a stop, if you shift the car from D mode into S mode, you should see the default limiting gear set to "4" (S4). From this point, you can choose to increase or decrease the limit as you please while at a stop. Once you start to move, you are subject to the speed constraints. In other words, you can only limit the car to 1st gear if you are well under 40 MPH, you can only limit the car to 2nd gear if you are well under 60 MPH, so on and so forth.

So to conclude, when you shift the car from D mode into S mode, you should see S mode along with a giant "4" light up on the dash. However, you should not feel any sort of shifting because you aren't shifting the car at all. You are merely limiting the car's upper ceiling to 4th gear.
Old 01-16-11, 04:44 PM
aaronklaw
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by syzygy
First off you should know that the paddles are not shifters. They are merely gear limiters. You have the ability to limit the upper gear on the car as long as your speed is sufficiently low.

Next, you can temporarily use the paddle gear limiters while in "D" mode, but only if you are moving. You cannot temporarily limit gears in "D" mode if you are at a standstill.

Finally, while at a stop, if you shift the car from D mode into S mode, you should see the default limiting gear set to "4" (S4). From this point, you can choose to increase or decrease the limit as you please while at a stop. Once you start to move, you are subject to the speed constraints. In other words, you can only limit the car to 1st gear if you are well under 40 MPH, you can only limit the car to 2nd gear if you are well under 60 MPH, so on and so forth.

So to conclude, when you shift the car from D mode into S mode, you should see S mode along with a giant "4" light up on the dash. However, you should not feel any sort of shifting because you aren't shifting the car at all. You are merely limiting the car's upper ceiling to 4th gear.

makes sense. I don't have the giant numbers lit up on the dash. I had an is 250 and had no problems.
Old 01-16-11, 05:45 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here you go, this is what it should look like -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5umb6hyLVU

Skip over to :40 seconds or so and you'll see what it should look like. Are you saying that "4" does not show up when you switch the car into S mode?
Old 01-16-11, 07:22 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

I can count my age by the number of times I've posted this...

The S-mode and accompanying paddle shifters are not really "shifters" in that they don't actually shift gears, nor were they designed to - they're merely a mechanism for manually selecting the gear range. Following is Lexus' description of the paddle shifters, taken from the New Car Features section of the FSM:

Originally Posted by Factory Service Manual
By moving the shift lever to the front (“+” position) or to the rear (“-” position), the driver can select the desired shift range position. Also, the shift paddle switch is adopted, which enables changing the shift ranges while the driver is holding the steering wheel. Thus, the driver is able to shift gears with a manual-like feel.[/left]

This Multi-mode automatic transmission is designed to allow the driver to switch the gear ranges; not for manually selecting single gears.

An S mode indicator light which illuminates when the S mode position is selected and a shift range indicator light, which indicates the range position, have been provided in the combination meter.
Here are the rules by which the different 2IS transmissions allow downshifting:

As you can see, 4th gear allows a top speed of 109, 113, and 109 mph, respectively. You have to be going insanely fast for 4th gear not to be appropriate for the speed at which you're driving. Simply put, if you're going too fast for the gear you want to select, it won't shift.

Javier
Old 10-20-13, 05:53 AM
IraMiller
Driver School Candidate

Default Update for 2014?

What has changed in the 2014 IS350 f Sport?

The paddle shifters seem to work as shifters. When the car is stopped and in D the "number" on the dash is M1 and it doesn't change when the paddles are depressed.
Old 10-20-13, 08:27 AM
Acingteam
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IraMiller
What has changed in the 2014 IS350 f Sport?

The paddle shifters seem to work as shifters. When the car is stopped and in D the "number" on the dash is M1 and it doesn't change when the paddles are depressed.
I'm pretty sure they received an actual 8 gear direct shift ISF transmission. And only the RWD models too.
Old 10-20-13, 08:37 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 580 Likes on 390 Posts

Yes the new 2014 RWD IS350 has the 8-speed, however all new 3IS models have a proper manual shift mode now, not just the 8-speed in the IS350.

Jeff