IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

30,000 Mile Service Nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-11, 10:29 AM
SB350
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 30,000 Mile Service Nightmare

Took my IS350 to the local Lexus Dealership yesterday for my 30K service. After one hour and $203, I picked my car up and was on my way. I got home and was about to start washing my car since I declined the free car wash, and that's when I noticed it...It was bad.

They had spilled brake fluid all over my driver side fender and it melted straight through the clear coat and paint! I drove back to the dealership and showed them what they did. They told me it might not of happened if I wouldn't have declined the free car wash. They tried to buff it out...lol. However, they admitted their guilt, and sent my car to the body shop to get the fender re painted. At least I have a 2010 RX350 Loaner.

Whenever you get a brake service done anywhere, make sure they protect the fenders. Be sure to special request it.
Old 01-16-11, 10:33 AM
Stun350
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow! I'm about to take my car in for the brake flush and oil change. I'll make sure to let them know. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 01-16-11, 10:51 AM
SUPERBRINO
Pole Position

OMG DUDE! I would flip whether they had fixed it or not, now you have a re-painted fender ... you would think they would be careful, guess not. I know few mechanics in dealerships I can assure you there was some sort of punishment, stuff like that doesnt fly ... extreme carelessness im sure they are supposed to cover/protect the area I cant see having to request that seems like it should be normal practice ANYWHERE!

DAMN!
Old 01-16-11, 11:16 AM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

That why must of us DIY cheaper and you feel better it done by yourself.
Old 01-16-11, 11:19 AM
simple
Pole Position

That's why I do my own work unless it's something critical that I have no knowledge of.
Old 01-16-11, 11:32 AM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

FU@#ING IDIOTS!!! I can't believe this happened at the dealer!!!! So not happy about this for your new and beautiful car!! I would complain up higher as well! I know the mechanic knew he/she did it. Did they wash it off or just leave it alone? Shady...complain to corporate! Buff it out...my AZZ!
Old 01-16-11, 11:38 AM
Wish
Pole Position

Dealers are looking for $$$!
Good that they admitted there mistake,
Old 01-16-11, 11:55 AM
SB350
Instructor

Originally Posted by laobo979
That why must of us DIY cheaper and you feel better it done by yourself.
Originally Posted by simple
That's why I do my own work unless it's something critical that I have no knowledge of.
This is why I took it to the dealer. I didn't even trust myself not to get bake fluid on my paint.

Originally Posted by Sffd103
FU@#ING IDIOTS!!! I can't believe this happened at the dealer!!!! So not happy about this for your new and beautiful car!! I would complain up higher as well! I know the mechanic knew he/she did it. Did they wash it off or just leave it alone? Shady...complain to corporate! Buff it out...my AZZ!
They didn't try to wipe it off. Honestly, i don't think they noticed it. It had dripped all down the side of my fender, taking the paint with it. I should have taken a picture, but I was too upset and in a rush to get back to the dealer to even think about it.

At least they are handling the situation decently and fixing their mistake. Hopefully my newly painted fender matches... We'll find out next week.
Old 01-16-11, 12:10 PM
ximd
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Wish
Dealers are looking for $$$!
Good that they admitted there mistake,
it's rare that they admit their mistakes. Another example of why dealers can't be trusted
Old 01-16-11, 12:22 PM
Lexs350
Driver

My God! I would of freak and ready to give a "beat down". Sorry to hear about your vehicile. At least the dealer accepted the responsibilty and taking corrective action. I just changed my Brake fluid out not to long ago. Did the work myself. All I did was cover the fender with a moving blanket and siphen most of the old fluid out. Refilled with new fluid and good to go. For extra measure, did the same thing one week later to ensure I have mainly the new stuff in the reseviour.
Old 01-16-11, 12:24 PM
Jmags
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

other than the repaint, what are they offering you?

I would want free oil changes for LIFE of the car over something like this at the very least
Old 01-16-11, 12:31 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

dealers shouldn't have to admit mistakes, they should call you right away and say, 'sorry we got a problem but we'll sort it out for you'. Now lets all drink our kool-aid in this perfect world
Old 01-16-11, 01:49 PM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Wow it sucks to hear this man. I hate it when they try to hope you don't see there mistake so they could blame it on you. I have had a dealer call me and let me kno they messed up something before . Hopefully this was just an accident and not standard practice.
Old 01-16-11, 01:53 PM
rebs
Lead Lap

Yeah, I would have been livid.

As mentioned by someone else, they should have told you prior to you picking up the vehicle. In addition, they should never imply it's your fault because you declined the dealer wash. That is absurd.

Care to share what dealership that was (via PM if necessary)? That way I know to avoid them the next time I'm in CA. Mistakes happen, not fessing up to them until the customer notices them and then implying it might not happen if they would have accepted the dealer wash is absurd. ::huge thumbs down::
Old 01-16-11, 01:58 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Wow, lots of overreacting in here. The dealer made a mistake, owned up to it, is fixing it, and giving the OP a Lexus loaner to boot. "Nightmare" would have been discovering this much later, having the dealer deny responsibility, and paying for the new paint job and loaner out of your own pocket. This is a great end result.

Javier

Quick Reply: 30,000 Mile Service Nightmare