IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Single DIN Dash Kit For IS250/350

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-11, 04:57 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks good bro! Not a fan of the Kenwood, but looks legit!
Old 02-20-11, 02:55 PM
suka4thong
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any more updates for this project?
can't wait to see final product
Old 02-20-11, 03:16 PM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not much at the moment. I got jammed Wednesday and couldn't get my paint. Then, couldn't get away from work in time to make it Saturday (they close at noon). I did some wet sanding today (1500 grit paper), and then reapplied primer. Going to sand it once more before paint, and that is as good as it will get. I did spend some time with the wiring schematics, and am pretty sure I know what I want to wire tap once I get the install underway. Also picked up a nice set of Memphis 6 channel Ultra Twist interconnects.
Pretty sure I have about everything I need, just a matter of getting it painted and then putting it in. Going to be a rough week at work and I'm not off again until Thursday. I am pretty happy with it, and when I took it to the local car audio shop for my friend to look at, he said he was genuinely impressed that I got the shaping as good as I did. We will soon find out......
Old 02-25-11, 02:14 PM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry for the lack of progress and updates. Another tough week at work. I was off yesterday and got the paint mixed. They used a vinyl/plastic paint, because the automotive finishes would have been far too glossy. It is VERY close, but is not the same. I am pissed, but the guy said it was as close as he could get it. I have a few pics of it after painting last night, and will post them in a bit.
I took the bezel off of the HU's display (the junkyard unit), and am going to sand and paint it. Doing this just to see how it will look. The difference in color between the cd changer's faceplate and the console would be less noticable than the difference in color between the changer and the upper portion of the HU.
Honestly though, I believe that the grey plastic trim in the console is a shade or two lighter than the changer/HU assembly anyway.
Old 02-25-11, 06:25 PM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

Okay, updated pics........

The primered faceplate, the 1/2 pint of paint, and the sprayer that I used to apply it.
http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/...DSC00807-1.jpg

The faceplate after the first coat of paint.
http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/...DSC00809-1.jpg

After the second coat of paint.
http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/...DSC00811-1.jpg

Two pics comparing the difference in color, to the junkyard HU display.
http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/...0/DSC00813.jpg
http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/...DSC00820-1.jpg

Like I said, it is close, but not close enough. I am now in the process of preparing the trim from the display portion for paint, to see if it will look better with the top portion painted to match the cd changer's faceplate.
http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/...0/DSC00823.jpg

Off tomorrow, so I will get more done and post pics as I go.
Old 02-25-11, 08:51 PM
OPTiK
Lead Lap

Looks good!!
Old 02-25-11, 09:09 PM
suka4thong
Advanced

looking really nice
now it's WIRING time!!!
Old 02-25-11, 09:25 PM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

Yes indeed. I got a 3rd coat on the display bezel tonight, and it's looking pretty good. Will start tomorrow with some "before" pics, and then start disassembly. I am pretty sure I have everything I need. I will have to pull the driver's side door sills and run my interconnects to the back. Also have to deal with the issue of tucking the OE cd changer assembly somewhere back in the dash. I don't know what that will involve until I get it apart. Also, my amp is currently in the floor of the trunk, and I will relocate it to on top of the box that I have my 12" woofer in. I will also have to uninstall my current processor, which is run off of the Lexus amp and tucked in the sparte tire compartment. This will quite likely take me the better part of the day, and I doubt I get a very early start, considering I have had more than my share of bourbon, and it's already after midnight. Will update as I go.
Old 02-25-11, 09:29 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks nice man!!
Old 02-26-11, 06:46 AM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

Back on it this morning, and it is going okay. I got all of the console trim removed and the factory HU removed. I did have a hell of a time getting the A/C vent piece out. Someone either had it out before and jacked up the locking clips, or it was pushed way too far in. I had to pry down on each clip, then wedge a small screwdriver in the gap to hold it in place (3 out of 4 anyway). Then I was able to remove it, with three tiny screwdrivers hanging out of it.
Quick coffee break and then back to work. I have to disassemble the stock unit and mount my HU into the custom faceplate. Then I will have to secure it to the left and right brackets. Wire tapping will be next, and is going to be tough. I hate that Lexus uses so many 20-22 gauge wires in these cars. When I did the processor in the trunk a while back, I had to strip some of the factory amp's wires with a straight edge razor. They were too small to strip with my crimping tool!
I am taking pics as I go, and may post another update or two before I am done. All pics will be posted when I am finished.
Thanks again for all the support and votes of confidence!
Old 02-26-11, 11:54 AM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

keep us posted...
Old 02-26-11, 12:53 PM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

Boy, what a pain! Here is what I have done so far:
1. Factory HU removed.
2. Custom faceplate and display bezel attached.
3. Amp and subwoofer box pulled from trunk.
4. 6 channel interconnects tucked down the driver's side, and run through the dash.
5. Remote turn on wire tucked down the passenger's side, and run through the dash.
6 About 2-3 hours spent trying to figure out how in the hell to tuck the factory cd changer! I finally realized that I had to partially disassemble the cage to the unit, then mount it vertically behind the display. This was really tight, and there isn't much room. Not to mention the module for the TPMS system is mounting on the back of the display as well.
I did a series of test fits, and looks like it is going to work the way it is. Fixing a cup of afternnoon coffee and then back at it. Next step will be to wire tap for power and accessory. After that, I will run a new ground for the Kenwood, and then be ready to re-install my Hertz amp and sub box in the trunk. Then I will test it (fingers friggin crossed), before bolting the new assembly in and buttoning it up. I told myself this would take all day, but still sucks that it has. 65 degrees out and sunny here today, and I should be busting up and down the street with the sunroof open.
I hope to have this done within the next couple hours....... (again, fingers crossed).
Old 02-26-11, 01:33 PM
suka4thong
Advanced

Good luck!
Old 02-26-11, 03:23 PM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

Got back in the garage and quickly realized that I still had to uninstall the processor, then replace the trunk panels and hook my amp back up. Did that, and then connected the harness for the Kenwood. I did the wire taps and hit the start button, but got nothing from the radio. I then connected the three harnesses to the OE cd changer (just in case), but got the same result. Then I noticed that I had nothing on the main display. I thought that maybe the junkyard changer was bad, so I unplugged it and plugged in my original Lexus changer assembly (quite a trick while balancing the HU assembly on my left leg). Got the same result. Looked in the fuse panel under the glove box, and found that the 10 amp radio fuse was blown. Either I did this while disconnecting the processor in the trunk (does have a feed for constant power), or I did it when wire tapping the power for the Kenwood HU. Fixing to run get a fuse and then will try again. Can't put ANYTHING back together until I know that everything works........ AAAARRRGHHHH
Old 02-26-11, 05:19 PM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

The blown 10 amp radio fuse was the problem (thank God). I replaced it and the Kenwood powered up, as well as the display for the A/C. I then finished hooking up my Hertz amp, and spent about twenty minutes messing with it. Had to stop and fix dinner for the kids, but it is sounding great! Nearly twice as loud as it was, and crystal clear! I am loving it. Other than some clean up work in the trunk, I pretty much just have to route the USB cable under the console and then put the dash back together. VERY pleased with the results, and it should be much better after I get an hour or so to tune it and set my gains properly. Going to go ahead and post my install pics in just a bit. Likely won't get this all the way back together until in the morning. I love my garage, but hate working with a work light clamped to the door or laying in the floor. Pics will take a bit to upload to Photo Bucket........ Finished install pics will be posted tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Single DIN Dash Kit For IS250/350