I have only seen a handful of pics of this type of install, and only one of them was a double DIN. From the pic I saw, it appeared as if the HU angled down quite sharply at the bottom. Don't know if thats how they wanted it, or had to do it. Looking at what I'm working with, a double DIN would be tough. Using the single DIN plate, it looks like the bottom corners of the HU will be VERY close to the curved lines at the bottom of the faceplate (where the console trim meets up with the faceplate).
As for an update, I just got home from work and having thinking about how I want to proceed. I really do think mounting the kit onto the rear of the faceplate will give me a better look. The hole (rectangle) that I am going to be cutting will be smaller, and I won't have to "blend" the edges at all. Really worried that those bottom corners are going to be raised, and they are so close to the edges that I am certain there would be a sharp angle there. With it mounted from the back, the HU will likely be recessed a little more than I would care for, but feel that keeping the original curve and line of the cd changer's faceplate is well worth it.
Going to have to remove all remaining material from inside, and think I am going to take as much of that out with snips as I possibly can. Then maybe go with a sanding drum attachment on my Dremel. Even with a very steady hand and good light, the Dremel with a cutting bit will want to jump if you hit any other surface with the bit while you are in a cut. Tedious and a little scary, since it's a one shot deal. I will likely get back on this tomorrow after work, and will try to post updated pics.
Any opinions on a HU? I am all but certain I am going with a Kenwood KDC-X794. It is in the Excelon line, and has a 24 bit processor to help clean up iPod playback. I used the KDC-X693 in another build and really liked it. Open to suggestions and recommendations. Has to have great SQ qualities, and look sexy too.....
I remember seeing a post awhile back of a White IS from Europe/Russia with custom fenders and a custom hood with this single din kit in it. Doesn't look that great in my opinion but whatever float your boat.
Okay, overdue update coming..........
I worked on the fitment for quite a while, and finally decided that I definitely had to mount the dash kit to the rear of the cd changer's faceplate. Mounting it from the front would have caused the aftermarket HU to protrude, and I would much rather have it recessed. I did a little more cleaning up and working on the back side of the faceplate to get it as close as possible, but soon realized that I had to have the aftermarket HU and cage in the dash kit, to be sure that I was only removing the amount of material that was absolutely necessary.
I went with the Kenwood KDC-X794, Excelon HU, and just got it yesterday. It is such a nice unit, and looks clean and classy. I didn't want anything too flashy going in the dash. This morning, I mounted the DIN cage into the bezel and went to work. I cut out the bottom and the sides, and then "fine tuned" the fit and made a few more trim cuts at the bottom. I believe that it is about as good as I am going to get it. Taking it to the car audio pro tomorrow to have him take a look at it and give me a few last minute pointers.
At this point, it is pretty much a matter of fiberglassing the dash kit into the back of the faceplate, and then filling in the holes in the front with fiberglass putty. After that, lots of filling and sanding before painting to match the upper section. Depending on how long this takes, I may go ahead and pull the changer panel out of my car now, relocate the changer and get my wires for wire tapping power and memory. Also have to run my 6 channel interconnects to the trunk. So far so good, but keep your fingers crossed for me. Will load up pics and post them in a sec. By the way, if anyone could tell me how to paste the actual pics from photo bucket instead of having to past the direct link, that would be helpful. At least the links work, but I much prefer pics in a thread that can be viewed without having to click on the link.
First round of pics. These are from last weekend, when it became apparent to me that I had to have the HU to proceed. Pics are of the trimming of the faceplate, also of the three bits that I used for the Dremel. The little saw blade was wicked, but hellish to control. The sanding drum and the larger cutoff disc were by far more useful!