IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

XM Customer Service Fail Thread/NavTraffic and Weather Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-11, 02:58 PM
CalMike
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default XM Customer Service Fail Thread/NavTraffic and Weather Issues

I picked up my 2011 IS350 less than two weeks ago and I've been having issues with the XM NavTraffic and Weather. All 2011 Lexus vehicles equipped with XM are supposed to come with NavTraffic and Weather, but it seems there is a glitch that involves having XM Everything/Best of Sirius coupled with the NavTraffic and Weather services. Since the day after I got the car, I've spoken with no less than ten different customer service agents at call centers in India, each exhibiting varying degrees of incompetence. Each time they fixed the Weather service, I lost some of my XM channels, notably Howard Stern, and vice-versa. I finally got wise and tried to locate a number for their corporate offices, which I found and called today. That office is in Nova Scotia and you can connect to it at (866) 610-6195. At the menu prompt, press option 3 (the option for returning a call from a customer service agent), and you'll be connected to someone who actually has a clue. Do not press 0, or you'll go directly back to India. The Canadians proved much more helpful than the standard customer service, and their names are not fictitious either. Bob, Frankie, Jonathan, Mary, and other Anglo-type names are not the most popular names in India, so I guess it must simply be a huge coincidence that all the customer service agents in India have those names. The folks in Nova Scotia also didn't add insult to injury by telling me that I had been randomly selected to receive a discount on a portable radio; against all odds I had been randomly selected at the end of each call when I was connected to India -- wow, with that kind of luck you'd think they could somehow get the service correct for me. But no. In case you can't tell, I'm not a fan of the outsourced customer service.

Anyway, as big of an improvement as XM's corporate customer service was today over the generic Indian call center debacle, the kind Nova Scotians still weren't able to resolve the problem for me, at least not yet. The rep was himself totally perplexed and frustrated by the whole ordeal. He assured me that he or the other woman I spoke with there will be personally contacting me tomorrow with information about how this will be resolved. Maybe they'll get a team of engineers on it. Should I be holding my breath? To be totally fair, my situation was slightly complicated since I needed them to shut off the subscription from my last car and transfer/credit the account to my new one. Really though, that shouldn't be so difficult and there's no excuse for the hours of customer service I've had to deal with so far. Just for others eager to partake and share in my frustration, here's an excerpt of one of my phone conversations with an Indian woman who said her name was Kelly, in which I made the critical error of inquiring about adding on the $2.99/month XM Premium Online service so I could listen on my computer and phone. Mind you, I had already wasted over twenty minutes on the phone with this woman in a fruitless attempt to straighten out the situation with the radio in my car:

Me: Okay so since you've refreshed the signal, the XM radio in my new car will work now?
Customer Service: Yes sir, we have sent the signal to your XM radio and it will work.
Me: Thank you. I was also curious about adding the XM Premium Online service to my account.
Customer Service: Do you already have XM radio sir?
Me: Yes I have an XM radio, we've been discussing it for the last twenty minutes.
Customer Service: OK sir, I see and would be happy to assist you with that.

No joke, that is seriously what she asked me after over twenty minutes of this nonsense. If it weren't for Howard Stern and the NavTraffic, I would tell them to take the trial subscription and whatever credit my account still has and shove it. Hopefully, the corporate office gets back to me tomorrow and resolves everything once and for all.
Old 01-11-11, 03:53 PM
Jmags
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

xm/sirius is possibly the worst company I've ever talked to.
Old 01-11-11, 08:01 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Have had XM radio in two cars for over four years with nary a problem. But I just manage the account online. Good luck.
Old 01-11-11, 08:52 PM
09lexus250
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i know they are the same companys now bt the only time i had issues was with xm before the merge. since iv switched to sirius i actually talk to the same person when i call in. and id say i call twice a year and get the same rep and he even remembers talking to me.
Old 01-13-11, 06:23 AM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What I've done is find the Lexus or another car manufacturer phone number for XM/Sirius. NOT the general number listed on the xm/sirius website.
IIRC my original renewal notice came from Lexus, not XM, and had a totally different number than the 888-XMRADIO number. I think they used to have this number on lexus's website in fine print at the bottom, but I couldn't find it the last time I looked.

Anyway, with that number, you usually get someone in America.

Or, if you call and select the option to cancel service, you usually get a representative from America.

My main complaint is that although Sirius and XM are now merged, the accounts are not, thus each car is considered "primary" (I have XM in 1 car, Sirius in another). Not trying to get cheap over a few bucks a month, but it's just plain stupid that the same company can't merge accounts, nor can they combine bills.

(note: no opinions expressed or implied........I'm merely pointing out how to get a representative from the U.S.)

Last edited by mikes rx; 01-13-11 at 06:30 AM.
Old 03-25-11, 08:42 PM
SiriXMsuxs
Driver School Candidate

Default SiriusXM is the worst company in the world

I have had NavTraffic working on my new Lexus 250H since November, Two weeks ago, SiriusXM did an upgrade and now NavTraffic doesn't work. I have spoken on the phone to their so called customer service for more than three hours. Today, someone told me that my lifetime subscription won't work with NavTraffic (it used to) and that I can't get it anymore. SiriusXM won't honor a contract that they made with me.

The supervisor refused to give me anyone else who could solve the problem.

I can't believe that SiriusXM will survive. It is one of the worst run companies.

Last edited by SiriXMsuxs; 03-25-11 at 08:44 PM. Reason: more content
Old 03-25-11, 09:28 PM
iRock
Lexus Champion

My free trial is almost over and I have gotten 6 calls to extend it. They shoulg get there stuff straight and realized someone else has already called
Old 03-26-11, 10:29 PM
LexiBear
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PEARLIS250
My free trial is almost over and I have gotten 6 calls to extend it. They shoulg get there stuff straight and realized someone else has already called
If you don't renew right away, they will start sending you discounted offers after your trial.

If you are currently a subscriber, they will negotiate with you if you threaten to cancel.
Old 03-26-11, 11:08 PM
iRock
Lexus Champion

i wont be renewing. the comedy channel is cool but i dont drive enough to justify the small fee.
Old 03-27-11, 11:39 AM
ThermonMer
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

my trial just ended. i only used it for BPM and XL Hip hop, but really enjoyed it.

how much to renew? should i wait for offers to come in? i havent received any calls...
Old 03-27-11, 11:44 AM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

XM does suck. When we got our CPO ml350 it came with 3 month free trial. But when I called to activate they wouldn't turn it on. They wanted to talk to previous owner don't know why. After several attempts at this nonsense I had MB customer service involved and they finally turned
It on. Turns out previous owner owes them $300 for whatever reason and they wanted me to pay it.
Old 03-27-11, 12:32 PM
skinfan2k
Rookie

how much is xm for your car? i have a 2009 model?
Old 07-16-11, 11:01 AM
wslwang
Driver School Candidate

Mine has expired 1 month ago and they did not call me until this week. I receive called almost every 2 days from them trying to offer me 77 dollars for whole year special.

The thing is I don't use XM radio so I don't like to pay something I don't really use. Plus the channels I listen to just have sort of same music playing again and again with different time (not 20s channel by the way).

So I told them if they include traffic service with that price I would like to pay it off for 3 years right away. I mean this is no risk for them and they told me they cannot do that. Plus all traffic service requires XM radio service. I guess I am being too cheap and they did not take this deal so I just let my system sitting there do nothing because they don't like to make some easy money.

On their website they have "traffic only " service of $3.99/mo.

Now I know why they are so close to chapter 11..... I am glad I sold all my XM stocks.

Originally Posted by LexiBear
If you don't renew right away, they will start sending you discounted offers after your trial.

If you are currently a subscriber, they will negotiate with you if you threaten to cancel.
Old 07-16-11, 04:39 PM
wntrwhte
Rookie

I spent half an hour on the phone with them the other day...

I have had a sirius radio for 4 1/2 years in my previous car, and additional radios for about 3 years before that.

So I call in and say "i just bought a car, it's XM, so I need to start a new account." "Ok, what is the phone number on the account?" "No, I need to start a new account, this is an XM radio." "We can add it to your account, what is the number and radio ID?" "XXX-XXX-XXXX and YYYYYY" "oh, please hold one moment, that is an XM radio and I cannot add that to this account."

Yes, I know, we reviewed that... anyway, they were happy to give me the 6 months for $24.99 deal so I'm fine with it.
Old 08-02-14, 05:38 PM
Joelseff
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Reviving this thread...

I bought a CPO 2010 Lexus IS350 in May. My Trial for XM ends in 4 days. I call today to add ONLY XMNAVTRAFFIC...the Filipino lady (I know she is Filipino because Iam Filipino and know that accent anywhere-sounds like my mom) told me I ahd to subscribe to the whole package in order to get Navtraffic. I told her "On my last 2 cars, I had standalone NAVTRAFFIC and NAVWEATHER." Filipino Lady: crickets.....then she says "I'm sorry but you should really consider the great entertainment val..." I cut her off and say, "NO! I ONLY WANT NAV TRAFFIC!!!" She says: "Sorry, will there be anything else?" I hang up on her...

Ugghhh...Why dont they offer the a la carte menu like before?

Quick Reply: XM Customer Service Fail Thread/NavTraffic and Weather Issues