IS 350 in the winter

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-10, 09:34 AM
given2fly
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS 350 in the winter

Hi Guys,

New to Lexus and 2 month owner of an IS 350. I came from a 2010 Audi A5 and in winter it was a breeze to drive. Now driving the IS 350 RWD with 306hp I am wondering do I go for winter tires? I live in Chicago BTW. Once I got the car I switch to Continental DWS All Seasons but is that enough?

Thanks for any input.

Mike
Old 11-01-10, 10:12 AM
ScottE
Driver School Candidate

All seasons will be doable for you, but certainly not as good as owning a set of dedicated winter shoes, especially during the heavy stuff. I've been driving a 350 in Chicagoland since Nov. 2005 and have made the switch from summer to winter rubber every year at this time. Combine that with careful throttle application and you can get pretty much anywhere. I'd recommend going with a set of 17" wheels and 225 tires at all four corners. Great combo. You won't regret it.
Old 11-01-10, 10:16 AM
SUPERBRINO
Pole Position

I was wondering the same thing, just took home my 2011 is 350 f sport RWD as well and I kept my second FWD car for this reason ... thanks for the info!
Old 11-01-10, 10:19 AM
600rr05
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to CL
Old 11-01-10, 11:05 AM
my95tsi
Pole Position

I've lived in Chicago my entire live and recently move dmore up north to Huntley, IL. I've driven my IS350 for the past 3 years here and have had the DWS's on for the past 16 months. The IS350 is not bad in the snow compared to most RWD vehicles. With VDIM and TC is very easy to drive. Turn the TC off and you will see how RWD really reacts. The DWS's are an excellent all around tire and driving it in the snow will be perfectly fine. This car does not require a set a dedicted winters wheels and tires. For my Evo yes, for this no way. As long as you know how to drive you'll be fine but even flooring it in 10 inches of snow the thing is nearly impossible to spin out.
Old 11-01-10, 12:36 PM
Andoskyy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"As long as you know how to drive you'll be fine"

As long as you know how to drive is very important here. its like any other rear wheel drive vehicle...you have to know how it'll react. Once you get your all seasons or winter tires, go mess around in a parking lot for a while to get a feel for it.

"but even flooring it in 10 inches of snow the thing is nearly impossible to spin out."

This is one of the more ridiculous statements on this forum. If you floor it on dry pavement you'll spin out... never-mind in 10" of snow.

I have a dedicated set of winter tires on a second set of rims, so it's really easy to swap out. All seasons will get you around fine, but winter tires will give you more confidence. A few extra pounds of weight over the rear axle helps even more. This is my 4th winter coming up... haven't had any issues yet.

Obvious note: ETC snow mode works great. If you haven't played around with it, it drastically reduces the "snap" upon acceleration.
Old 11-01-10, 12:48 PM
SUPERBRINO
Pole Position

Default question ...

Originally Posted by Andoskyy

As long as you know how to drive is very important here. its like any other rear wheel drive vehicle...you have to know how it'll react. Once you get your all seasons or winter tires, go mess around in a parking lot for a while to get a feel for it.

"but even flooring it in 10 inches of snow the thing is nearly impossible to spin out."

This is one of the more ridiculous statements on this forum. If you floor it on dry pavement you'll spin out... never-mind in 10" of snow.

I have a dedicated set of winter tires on a second set of rims, so it's really easy to swap out. All seasons will get you around fine, but winter tires will give you more confidence. A few extra pounds of weight over the rear axle helps even more. This is my 4th winter coming up... haven't had any issues yet.

Obvious note: ETC snow mode works great. If you haven't played around with it, it drastically reduces the "snap" upon acceleration.
im thinking about getting a set of wheels for the back/winter ... should i get all 4? and if so, like you said most likely 17 inch wheels any suggestions? something that looks decent, lightweight but still has a good bite with snow tires ...
Old 11-01-10, 12:52 PM
my95tsi
Pole Position

With VDIM on and a new set of all seasons the car cannot spin out, sure it'll slide a few feet before the TC kicks in and it cuts the throttle out but it does not spin out, even on dry pavement. So your saying your IS350 can fishtail with the TC on? Must be the only one. With the TC off yes the car will spin out and probably rotate 180 degrees unless you do some crazy counter steering. You are right this car is not like any other RWD car because it handles better due to the VDIM.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 11-01-10 at 12:57 PM.
Old 11-01-10, 12:53 PM
Andoskyy
Pole Position

First, congrats on the new ride...its awesome.

and yes, you should get all 4. You will literally go nowhere on your stock summer tires. it's just as important to be able to turn as it is to accelerate. Also, your front tires are doing 75-80% of your stopping, so its important to have the traction up front.

I have 18" rims all around for the winter.

As far as recommendations, it'll really depend on your budget and how well you can drive. Bridgestone bizzaks are arguable the best, but I got a cheap set of Generals. again, its more about knowing how to drive in the snow more than the type of tire you get.
Old 11-01-10, 12:55 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,119 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Mike,

Loads of threads on this subject to get your answer with no waiting...

Go to search,

Put 'winter' in the search keyword and use search in title (you can also use 'snow' or 'ice', etc for more threads should you need them)

Then select the IS - Second Generation forum and hit search. You'll find threads like these among others (there were 114 of them!)

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ghlight=winter
Old 11-01-10, 12:57 PM
Andoskyy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by my95tsi
With VDIM on and a new set of all seasons the car cannot spin out, sure it'll slide a few feet before the TC kicks in and it cuts the throttle out but it does not spin out, even on dry pavement. So your saying your IS350 can fishtail with the TC on? Must be the only one. With the TC off yes the car will spin out and probably rotate 180 degrees unless you do some crazy counter steering. You are right this car is not like any other RWD car because it handles better due to the VDIM.

Fair enough. Your tires will spin, then the TC will kick in, then you'll be stuck in the middle of an intersection with no power going to your wheels.

Your best bet is to disable TC on your starts so you can spin but manage the power...and keep the VDIM for fishtail control...unless you want to have fun....

Last edited by DaveGS4; 11-01-10 at 12:59 PM. Reason: quoted post was edited
Old 11-01-10, 12:58 PM
my95tsi
Pole Position

First, congrats on the new ride...its awesome.

and yes, you should get all 4. You will literally go nowhere on your stock summer tires. it's just as important to be able to turn as it is to accelerate. Also, your front tires are doing 75-80% of your stopping, so its important to have the traction up front.

I have 18" rims all around for the winter.

As far as recommendations, it'll really depend on your budget and how well you can drive. Bridgestone bizzaks are arguable the best, but I got a cheap set of Generals. again, its more about knowing how to drive in the snow more than the type of tire you get.
Hankook Icebears are excellent winter tires, I have them on my Evo and they are just as good as the Blizzaks but far cheaper. I'm not sure there 18 inch sizes are since they are limited.
Old 11-01-10, 01:24 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Not sure about dropping to 16" rims. Apparently looks like you can from looking at Lexus Japan's site.

http://lexus.jp/models/is/specificat...quipment0.html
http://lexus.jp/models/is/specificat...pmentlist.html

Off topic:
Anyone knows what "Version L" and "Version T" of IS250/350 on the JP site mean?!?!
Old 11-01-10, 01:42 PM
grondie
Merkur Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get winter tires, they're worth every penny.

edit: snow to winter

Last edited by grondie; 11-01-10 at 01:58 PM.
Old 11-01-10, 01:51 PM
Andoskyy
Pole Position

Also consider that they call them winter tires for a reason....not snow tires.

The rubber in a summer tire is a completely different compound than an all season or winter tire. Once you get below ~40 degrees, the summer tires get very hard, and lose a significant portion of their traction. That's why drag cars do burnouts, to heat up the rubber and make them sticky.

So even without snow, driving on summer tires in the winter can be extremely dangerous. you could easily lose traction doing an evasive turn, and your stopping distance will be increased significantly.

Just something to keep in mind when you spend all that money on winter tires and don't think you got your money's worth because it didn't snow...

Quick Reply: IS 350 in the winter