IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

AirBag light ON *with resolution**TSB*

Old 09-26-12, 05:27 PM
irishcharm
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry

well just got some news from my mechanic tonight. threw the B1861 airbag code that the OP stated. However some interesting information.

pre-story....i was working in that area, installing some things, a few days prior to the light coming on but it was a good few days after I was in that area that the code came up.

---the mechanic said the code was the one above but it had the words - passanger side knee bolster airbag circuit next to the code. Is it possible i interrupted the circuit with a connector coming lose? I checked all connections when the light first came on but maybe the connector is being strained? though the light on my dash comes and goes and is not consistant? I find it odd that it mentioned only one air bag specifically with that code, even though it is the circuit.

ideas? because honestly I can't afford the $3k repair and it would force me to sell the car.
Old 10-08-12, 09:26 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the same problem with a 08 IS350.

My airbag light has been coming on and off for past few months.
Old 10-13-12, 02:04 PM
ChumpusRex
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by suxeLSI003
I've had my light on for quite some time. I'm curious as to whether or not the airbag is in fact disabled as a result. Imo this is a safety defect that should be covered outside of warranty.
If the light is on, then the entire SRS system is completely disabled; in the event of a crash, no air bags or seat belt pre-tensioners will activate.

This is done to prevent false detonation of the air bag charges. If the self-test unit detects any kind of wiring fault or sensor fault, it automatically disconnects power from the SRS control system, so that a short or computer malfunction couldn't accidentally detonate an air bag.
Old 10-15-12, 09:11 AM
irishcharm
Driver

Unhappy

Originally Posted by ChumpusRex
If the light is on, then the entire SRS system is completely disabled; in the event of a crash, no air bags or seat belt pre-tensioners will activate.

This is done to prevent false detonation of the air bag charges. If the self-test unit detects any kind of wiring fault or sensor fault, it automatically disconnects power from the SRS control system, so that a short or computer malfunction couldn't accidentally detonate an air bag.
What is your source for that information out of curiosity?

Update: Had my code cleared and no problems since my post in late september. But yesterday the light came on again and has been off/on for the last day. My private mechanic said he can get the part for $1800 and the labor is $600. So I am at that point where I am deciding if the car is worth keeping or selling. I still owe 14,7k on the car and in average form (without the airbag light, without needing tires, and without needing rear struts) is worth a trade in value of 14,7k-15,5k as per KKB, Black Book, and NDA or NADA. So I am assuming I will be taking a loss if I trade it in. I was thinking of having the code cleared by my mechanic and driving right to a dealer to trade it but I am lost. All in all my repairs amount to about $3800 that I don't have.
Old 10-15-12, 10:31 AM
ChumpusRex
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by irishcharm
What is your source for that information out of curiosity?
Service manuals for a number of vehicle makes.

Essentially, any fault will completely deactivate the system, due to the risk of incorrect deployment due to a compromised system. (A particular error code doesn't just mean an error with the detonator or sensor, but wiring or even the SRS ECU).

While I don't know for sure for on a very modern system like on the lexus, I would assume that it is the case. These multi-airbag and multi-restraint systems depend on precise timing and deployment of the restraints in particular combinations in a precise timed sequence. Anything that could compromise the deployment sequence could result in additional injury, so I would expect any fault, anywhere on the system, to result in total shut-down of the whole SRS.
[/QUOTE]
Old 10-16-12, 12:06 PM
nitrotang
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Does anyone know whether Stevens Creek Lexus, Putnam, or Magnussen Lexus in the Bay Area would be able to diagnose/reset the SRS light free of charge? I just tried calling one of the service advisors at Stevens Creek and he didn't seem to budge from the fact that there's a diagnostic charge.
Old 10-16-12, 12:44 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by nitrotang
Does anyone know whether Stevens Creek Lexus, Putnam, or Magnussen Lexus in the Bay Area would be able to diagnose/reset the SRS light free of charge? I just tried calling one of the service advisors at Stevens Creek and he didn't seem to budge from the fact that there's a diagnostic charge.
Do you still have powertrain warranty?
Old 10-16-12, 01:04 PM
nitrotang
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Unfortunately not. But read that some CL'ers in this thread, although out of warranty, got goodwill repairs from either the dealership or corporate. Just wanted to see if anyone had experiences of goodwill repairs from any of the dealers in this area.
Old 08-02-13, 10:27 AM
DOUGLis350
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

So this happened to me two weeks ago. I immediately called Corporate even before I took it into the the dealer. They said I had to have a quote to do anything with. I took it into the dealer and sure enough it was the TSB problem exactly. I have an 06 IS350 with 73,700, so I was out of warranty by 8 months and by 3,700 miles.

The quote to fix it was $3400, $2400 part and $1100 labor. Lexus Corporate is going to cover the part and I cover the labor. I thought that was fair, obviously the entire thing covered would have been better. The dealership told me they wouldn't do anything but corporate at least came through with the part. I haven't scheduled yet.

Just posting so people will have actual numbers and details on this.
Old 08-27-13, 07:49 AM
Chekmi21
Lead Lap

Got the light!! 132,000 on my 2008. I sent my service contact the TSB and asked if I can get it done while I'm in for an oil change and tire rotation on Thursday. I do all of my service through them only so maybe they'll do me a favor and do it for me to save me some money.

No way in hell I'm paying $2k to get that fixed out of pocket though.
Old 08-27-13, 09:55 AM
Chekmi21
Lead Lap

The service guy called me back and said that TSBs are just technical notes and not actual recalls so it can only be done under a warranty period. I'm crap out of luck. Anyone figure out any cheaper way to fix this thing?
Old 08-27-13, 10:00 AM
Chekmi21
Lead Lap

Did you guys have to pay for a quote for repair? I'm thinking of just getting them to check the light and confirm the error code and get a quote and hit up corporate and see if they'll do anything. It's a known issue that could be a serious safety hazard, should have some type of recall to remedy the issue with this faulty harness.
Old 08-30-13, 06:51 AM
Chekmi21
Lead Lap

So the dealership quoted $2700 for parts and labor all in to fix it. They knocked off $150 so it was $2550 to do the full repair. Just told them to do it. Freakin A.
Old 09-02-13, 10:26 AM
ChumpusRex
Driver School Candidate

This is just an update. I had this problem on my RHD IS250 about a year ago, but interestingly enough it was the same fault (though clearly a different harness).

Dealer said that the car was out of warranty, and as I had bought the car privately they could not consider a goodwill gesture.

I had a look at the problem area; the driver's knee airbag circuit. You could see immediately what the problem was; the branch wire from the main harness to the knee airbag is too short, so there is tension on the branch, and it either pulls the connector off the airbag, or it pulls the wires out of the connector.

On mine, it was a mixture of both. It was a very, very easy fix which took me about 15 minutes, once I had decided to fix it myself. Disconnected the battery for 5 minutes, then I simply released the ties holding up the harness, to put a bit of slack on the branch to the airbag. I then reattached the harness in its new position with some cable ties and sponges (to prevent the cable ties from damaging the wires, and to absorb vibration). I then reinforced the harness branch to the airbag with electricians tape, and use the electricians tape to hold the connector onto the airbag.

Cleared the light immediately, and it's been 12 months, with no recurrence of the problem.

Interestingly, despite the fix being so simple, I couldn't find an auto-electrician willing to touch it. They all said dealer only. Dealer said, full harness replacement only.

Last edited by ChumpusRex; 09-02-13 at 10:31 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ChumpusRex:
mandyfig (01-24-17), Tiffany702 (02-19-20)
Old 09-02-13, 09:11 PM
iNfectious
Pole Position

Thanks ChumpusRex. I will check that area out. The ABS light kept going in and out and recently last month it stayed on. I probably hit something at first when I take the panel apart and afterwards became loose. Then finally when I finished my LED conversion on the dash and buttons, I knocked something out of place.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: AirBag light ON *with resolution**TSB*