IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Water proof soldering - or other solutions?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-22, 11:45 PM
CoolCarBro
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Water proof soldering - or other solutions?!

Man. Did I mess up.

I have a 2007 Lexus is250. 130k miles. Today, I fixed my VSC P2747, P2757. I replaced the SLU and SLT Solenoids. However, I could not get the clips off! After an hour I took a razor blade knife to cut the plastic. Except one time it slipped and I cut 1 of the 2 wires the connects to the electrical connection - 2 inches before the connector. I ran to the store and bought wire cutters and butt connectors.

after I finished the job, the old check engine lights are gone but there’s a new one P2759 - electrical. So obviously my krimp job did *not work. It makes sense since it’s swimming in transmission fluid. What’s the solution?!

So far the best thing I can think of is water proof soldering. Anyone else have any good input??!

Last edited by CoolCarBro; 09-28-22 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Did to did not *
Old 09-28-22, 07:40 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,238 Posts

See you other thread. A crimp and heat shrink is your best bet. Soldering is too brittle and wires will likely break.

It just needs insulation so it doesn't short out. Oil is not conductive enough to be an issue.
Old 09-28-22, 05:31 PM
CoolCarBro
Rookie

Hey friend. So I bought all the things you said. A thread repair kit and weather proof crimping. The insulation I bought is Permatex’s high temp red rtv silicone. Is this the kindd of insulation you meant?! Thank you so much it means a whole to me.
Old 09-28-22, 06:38 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Nada -
heat shrink tubing heat shrink tubing

Connectors Connectors

Crimp tool Crimp tool
Old 09-28-22, 08:21 PM
CoolCarBro
Rookie

Bought em all!

but it got me thinking, with the fluid getting up to 175 degrees, does the heat shrink wrap need to be heavy duty and withstand those temperatures or will the ones you showed me work fine?

https://www.mcmaster.com/heat-shrink...shrink-tubing/

I found this shrink wrap that withstands 450 degrees
Old 10-05-22, 04:05 PM
CoolCarBro
Rookie

Update:

drove car for a week after replacing slu and SLT solenoid. Car drives better

But still has issues in the first five minutes and also hates hills. Drives perfect on free way and after 5 minutes if there are no hills

today: after a week of driving it no light came on until today when I took a free way to free way off ramp with a big up hill at fast speeds. Car freaked out for 2 seconds and engine lights came on

I got code p2714 stored - like before
i got p0751 pending - new
p2757 is gone

according to the only guy I found who fixed it - user Shlomie11- he had the same issue until he replaced the TCM wiring (he also replaced ATF filter which I will do this time as well) ( I replaced SLU and SLT solenoids already).

Thoughts?!

thank you so much your input is incredibly valuable to me
Old 10-05-22, 04:07 PM
CoolCarBro
Rookie

Default Neighbor was an electrical engineer

can you believe that?! He fixed it in 1 minutes and I thought problem was fixed because it drove better. Until I was stopped on a basement garage incline waiting for the gate to open

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
Old 10-05-22, 04:12 PM
CoolCarBro
Rookie

Default Neighbor was an electrical engineer

can you believe that?! He fixed it in 1 minutes and I thought problem was fixed because it drove better. Until I was stopped on a basement garage incline waiting for the gate to open

also how do I find the right TCM part number?.I’m on rock auto under transmission

Old 10-05-22, 04:35 PM
CoolCarBro
Rookie

Default Or go to junk yard?

my other idea is to just go to a junk yard and swap out the transmissions. What would you do if you were me?

Old 10-18-22, 11:21 AM
breezybisc
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey man, in the same boat, how's it going
Old 10-18-22, 11:29 AM
CoolCarBro
Rookie

Default Update

it’s in the shop.

The professional said it’s either 1. the tranmission cpu module or 2. Replace the tranmission. After doing his test it’s 2. Got a banger of a deal tho. $2200.

im in San Diego so Mexicans are awesome. Luckily I have lots of neighbors and friends. I just hope he doesn’t get a POS from the junk yard. I told him to make sure he doesn’t use a 2006 or 2007 model tranmission. Everyone on the forums has those years

what year is your IS?

he did offer a 1 year warranty

Originally Posted by breezybisc
hey man, in the same boat, how's it going
Old 10-18-22, 11:31 AM
breezybisc
4th Gear

i have a 2007 as well, same issues right now. i don't want to deal with all this bs, i just bought the car last week lol. likely got scammed.
Also in the shop right now, tried fixing the tranny blew 1k smh. time to spend some money,
good luck. what year do u recommend? if you have one
Old 10-18-22, 11:37 AM
breezybisc
4th Gear

just spoke with my tech on the phone and he said that 7 or 8 codes popped up lol
Old 10-18-22, 01:52 PM
CoolCarBro
Rookie

Default Dude that is so messed up

you definitely got f***ed over. Not scammed but the guy most likely knew the tranmission was going bad.
I been able to drive it since the first code popped up for almost 5k miles. But it started getting progressively worse. I’m really Sorry to hear that man. I would definitely call him out on it. 100%.

you got nothing to lose and if he has an decency he will take some fault and hopefully help you out with the bill some. To be honest, I thought about selling it, for a split second, and knew that I couldn’t do that to someone else. So yeah, call the guy and tell him politely that he knew what he was doing when he sold you it, that your tech and some guy on a forum said this isn’t an over night problem.

so mine is a 2007 Lexus is250 automatic rear wheel drive. And on every single forum I’ve read I never seen one that had a 2008 or 2009. Only 2006 and 07 had these forums with people running into problems.

so what is your year? And how much did you pay? You need to call the guy up. What he did is not right.

Originally Posted by breezybisc
i have a 2007 as well, same issues right now. i don't want to deal with all this bs, i just bought the car last week lol. likely got scammed.
Also in the shop right now, tried fixing the tranny blew 1k smh. time to spend some money,
good luck. what year do u recommend? if you have one
Old 10-18-22, 02:07 PM
breezybisc
4th Gear

Yeah first time buying from someone i didn't know personally.

i already tried to get some $ back he sent me 100 lol

i have a 2007 150k on it automatic rwd.

i spent TTL around 7k, plus 1k for the tranny leak. no fix though

bought as is so nothing i can do really, thinking about selling and just leasing a newe car, although idk who to sell to . maybe i can at a dealership or somehting, take a couple thousand dollar loss

got about 500 miles in before it broke down

Quick Reply: Water proof soldering - or other solutions?!