IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Rev match???

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-11, 10:52 PM
Initial B
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
After driving cars for over 25 years now, half of that using stick shifts, I think I do understand when the engine rpm is shooting up from gear engagement and when it is not. Please don't be so adamant. There is something different about this scenario that I am talking about.
dude, please just give this up. First, you act like you KNOW your IS has rev match (it does NOT, unless it's an IS-F)....then you tell us you've been driving 25 YEARS and know how to drive a stick...and you still don't realize that your car is not blipping the throttle to rev match on down shifts.

How did you downshift your manual cars....foot off the gas, clutch in, shift to lower gear, clutch out, and let the engine 'rev match' by itself? lol

Your car does NOT have rev match, sorry man.
Old 04-12-11, 11:05 PM
Initial B
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Toymota
Also the torque converter in an auto reduces the torque transmitted from the wheels back to the engine, and reduces driveline shock. This also makes rev matching unnecessary.

Auto and manual transmissions are so fundamentally different that it is foolish to try to imitate driving practices from one to the other.
that may be a good mantra for the folks over at Oldsmobile (notice they aren't around anymore), but for a 'sport sedan' like the IS - with paddles no less - they should have programmed the tranny to behave like the IS-F: in auto (D), it behaves like a slushbox. Fine, great for rush hour traffic. But in sport mode/manual mode/whatever you want to call it, it should do three things:

1) hold the current gear until paddle input is received
2) shift immediately once paddle input is received
3) rev-match on downshift

If Lexus would offer a programming upgrade to correct this massive fail, I'd pay good money for it
Old 04-13-11, 05:55 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by replica
that may be a good mantra for the folks over at Oldsmobile (notice they aren't around anymore), but for a 'sport sedan' like the IS - with paddles no less - they should have programmed the tranny to behave like the IS-F: in auto (D), it behaves like a slushbox. Fine, great for rush hour traffic. But in sport mode/manual mode/whatever you want to call it, it should do three things:

If Lexus would offer a programming upgrade to correct this massive fail, I'd pay good money for it

Except the paddles aren't shifters, so there's nothing for Lexus to 'correct' other than perhaps their choice of words in marketing material.

They are top gear limiters. Period.
Old 04-13-11, 08:29 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Toymota
You have already opened the throttle. The engine revs will increase as soon as the gearbox downshifts.
correct....but the difference is that the revs increase before the actual engagement. i.e. it increases in that interval when it is neither in the 4th or the 3rd gear in my example. That window is so small that it is not able to get to redline and what actually ends up happening is that a revmatch is achieved. It may not be by design,but this is what does end up happening.

However, if my foot is not on the gas pedal, there is no rematch. In that scenario, the revs increase merely due to engagement to a lower gear and it is not very pretty because there either is a driveline shock or engine braking observed.
Old 04-13-11, 10:14 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ok, whatever you say then. More than likely, you're putting unnecessary wear and tear on your car that it wasnt designed for NOR CAN IT ACHIEVE.
Old 04-13-11, 10:27 AM
OPTiK
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
The paddles aren't shifters. The automatic transmission will always put the car in the most appropriate gear within the allowed range.

You can't shift the car directly. The only thing you can ever do is lock out higher gears from the allowed range for the automatic transmission to pick from.
Yeah, I meant it limited to 5, instead of the standard 4.
Old 04-13-11, 10:46 AM
Initial B
Lead Lap

However, if my foot is not on the gas pedal, there is no re(v)match. In that scenario, the revs increase merely due to engagement to a lower gear and it is not very pretty because there either is a driveline shock or engine braking observed.

exactly...thus, your car does not have rev-match. Do that in a car that does have it, and the tranny will automatically blip the throttle to bring the RPMs up for the lower gear's engagement
Old 04-13-11, 10:53 AM
Initial B
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Except the paddles aren't shifters, so there's nothing for Lexus to 'correct' other than perhaps their choice of words in marketing material.

They are top gear limiters. Period.
The paddles are definitely marketed as paddle shifters, so Lexus' choice to dumb-down their manual function to become just gear limiters is just sad and misleading.

I knew what they were when I bought the car, but couldn't justify taking out a loan to cover the $20k difference to get into an IS-F for this feature and the better front seats. Don't care too much about the 5.0 since it sounds like a NASCAR motor. I'm happy with the 3.5.

I hope (and somewhat expect) the next gen of products from Lexus does not deliver false 'sportiness', or else the competition will leave them further behind and I will move to another brand.
Old 04-13-11, 11:44 AM
Toymota
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sure they could do this for little to no incremental cost, but the Lexus marketing department wants you to pay even more good money to step up to an IS-F for these features...

Or you could be entrepreneurial and engineer your own transmission control unit, then sell it for $$.
Old 04-13-11, 11:52 AM
Toymota
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

correct....but the difference is that the revs increase before the actual engagement. i.e. it increases in that interval when it is neither in the 4th or the 3rd gear in my example. That window is so small that it is not able to get to redline and what actually ends up happening is that a revmatch is achieved. It may not be by design,but this is what does end up happening.

However, if my foot is not on the gas pedal, there is no rematch. In that scenario, the revs increase merely due to engagement to a lower gear and it is not very pretty because there either is a driveline shock or engine braking observed.
That's what I meant and what you wrote backs it up. By having your foot on the gas pedal, you are doing the rev match yourself.
Old 04-13-11, 04:48 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

exactly...thus, your car does not have rev-match. Do that in a car that does have it, and the tranny will automatically blip the throttle to bring the RPMs up for the lower gear's engagement
My 2003 mazda6 stickshift had that blip feature where the computer would gently blip the rpm when I disengaged the clutch so that the gear engagement wouldn't be such a shock. Too bad it was not a very good implementation and it was eventually removed in subsequent ecu flashes.
Old 04-18-11, 11:49 AM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 223 Likes on 155 Posts

This thread makes baby Jesus cry.

If the car had rev match downshifting, you would be able to brake to a stop while flicking the left paddle and feel no drag between gears.

When you're accelerating and you flick the left paddle, all you're doing is the same thing the car does in D when you mash the gas. It's kicking down. Your right foot is opening the throttle, not some trick transmission tuning. Get in a normal PRND321 car, go to pass someone on the highway and pull the shifter from D to 3. Same effect.

HOWEVER...in ECT Power mode, the car will aggressively downshift when you brake hard. This is the first time I've experienced this, and it's amazing on backroads and on a road course. If you're hammering the car and you stand on the brakes into a corner, the car will drop 2+ gears and put you around 4k rpm to power through and out of the next turn. This, however, has nothing to do with the paddles. Leave the car in D for this.
Old 04-18-11, 02:09 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Too late. Everything has been sorted out. The IS 250 does not have rev match feature. What I experienced was engine rpm shooting up as a result of my mashing the gas pedal during gear change.
Old 04-18-11, 03:35 PM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ahhhhh.....I love the smell of a resolution in the afternoon.
Old 04-18-11, 05:19 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 06isDriver
ahhhhh.....I love the smell of a resolution in the afternoon.
I am all for it man....i just like a spirited discussion.

Quick Reply: Rev match???