IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Rev match???

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-10, 10:22 AM
VIGGENTAL
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to intrude BUT when using S-mode plus ECT-power my 2009 IS250 DOES downshift whenever I want it too.
Say, for example having 5th and pressing the left paddle to get 4th in(even without using brakes). It downshifts instantly, without hesitation. It just won't let revs pass the limiter point , for obvious reasons.
Maybe it is the S-mode , ECT power combo, maybe it is a different gearbox mapping in 2009+ models.
Old 12-19-10, 10:37 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SGMIS3
If you are going fast enough, it will actually put it in 5th gear when you move it to S gear.

4th is good to 113 in a 250... 109 in a 350... so I suppose if you're going faster than that it'd go to 5th, but I can't really picture that happening in normal use.... (and can't really think of a practical reason you'd ever want to throw it into S at 115+ mph)
Old 12-19-10, 04:57 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jaxxx
Is350... When downshifting using paddles does it rev mAtch??
Originally Posted by chikoo
either ways, I think it is a good implementation. you get to downshift on-demand and then the computer takes over of downshifting even more if needed.
So I tested it out today and I am very certain that the 08 IS250 rev matches when you shift up or down and you have your foot on the gas pedal.
Old 12-19-10, 06:22 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just because when you downshift the RPM are naturally higher does not equates to rev match, rev matching is when the RPM is increased in neutral, not when when its forced higher once into goes into a lower gear.
Old 12-19-10, 06:55 PM
Acingteam
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VIGGENTAL
Sorry to intrude BUT when using S-mode plus ECT-power my 2009 IS250 DOES downshift whenever I want it too.
Say, for example having 5th and pressing the left paddle to get 4th in(even without using brakes). It downshifts instantly, without hesitation. It just won't let revs pass the limiter point , for obvious reasons.
Maybe it is the S-mode , ECT power combo, maybe it is a different gearbox mapping in 2009+ models.
No, it's with all IS's and has nothing to do with ECT. And that was my main point is that you can make the car downshift on command.
Old 12-19-10, 06:58 PM
Acingteam
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chikoo
So I tested it out today and I am very certain that the 08 IS250 rev matches when you shift up or down and you have your foot on the gas pedal.
I also have an '08 IS250 and it does not rev match when you downshift. Like mentioned before rev matching is done prior to downshifting. You can do it manually with a gas pedal, but it's a little tricky.
Old 12-19-10, 07:06 PM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there is no rev matching.....at all.

case closed
Old 12-22-10, 05:57 AM
RUSSOM
Driver

Originally Posted by 06isDriver
there is no rev matching.....at all.

case closed
Glad to hear a solid answer on this. Anyone know if the '11 models do it on an IS350?

I drove a 10 GS350 and a 10 IS350 back to back at the dealer a few months ago. FWIW the 10 GS350 even in "manual" mode will upshift for you near redline, I guess they figure the demographic that drives them may have forgotten to shift, however the IS350 does hit a rev limit and stays there until you upshift. Neither car blips the throttle for a downshift. I visited an Infiniti dealer later that day and drove a 10 G37 sedan. It DOES blip for downshifts. What a shame... I'm the type to keep a car a long time and I want another Yota, but the current G37 offers a lot of value...at least until they probably get a few years behind them.

I hope Lexus is listening. As odd as it sounds that is the ONLY deal killer for me on an IS350.
Old 12-22-10, 06:09 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

^--- yeah, the throttle blip was the only thing I really missed coming from a the g35 to the is350. It is a shame, I'm sure a firmware upgrade would do wonders. And it would be relatively easy too I think, if toyota wanted.

F-sport should release an ecu flash that allows for throttle bliping and ups the redline a smidge. What money they would make for the one time cost of development. ROI would be HUGE!
Old 12-22-10, 06:25 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

SOooo, I just contacted Lexus and asked a representative why they dont offer throttle bliping and a rev limiter increase in an f-sport ecu upgrade. She said the typical line of, "Lexus currently doesnt offer these features in its current F-sport lineup."

I said, "I know but you should consider it. For a one time development cost, you could add a product that thousands of IS owners would buy. The return on investment would be very large I think. If you priced it right, it'd sell like hotcakes."

She said they are currently looking to expand their IS line and were actually looking for suggestions and then asked if I had any more product ideas. That kinda stroked my ego but I said, "no thats all."

Anyway, I know, I know.....It'll probably never happen, but at least I put the bug in their ear and they JUST may consider it.

Who knows? All you guys should tell them you want it.

Last edited by 06isDriver; 12-22-10 at 06:29 AM.
Old 12-22-10, 06:42 AM
RUSSOM
Driver

Originally Posted by 06isDriver
SOooo, I just contacted Lexus and asked a representative why they dont offer throttle bliping and a rev limiter increase in an f-sport ecu upgrade. She said the typical line of, "Lexus currently doesnt offer these features in its current F-sport lineup."

I said, "I know but you should consider it. For a one time development cost, you could add a product that thousands of IS owners would buy. The return on investment would be very large I think. If you priced it right, it'd sell like hotcakes."

She said they are currently looking to expand their IS line and were actually looking for suggestions and then asked if I had any more product ideas. That kinda stroked my ego but I said, "no thats all."

Anyway, I know, I know.....It'll probably never happen, but at least I put the bug in their ear and they JUST may consider it.

Who knows? All you guys should tell them you want it.
Big brake upgrade, still another one from the G37S playbook; and by that I mean larger thicker rotors AND more significant multi-piston, rigid, and fixed calipers. Of course BMW offers some nice "sport" options too. Whatever they're doing would be a good template as well. Lexus built the basic 3 series competitor and stopped there. Their F-sport line is a start, but it has a bit of a GM Performance Parts or Ford Racing feel to it, dealer bolt-ons that maintain a factory warranty. BMW and Infiniti actually build these into option packages available from the factory which I think has a more classy appeal. They may still offer some more "serious" upgrades avail. after assembly that are avail. ala-carte and still covered under warranty, like their F-sport pieces, but the IS needs a sport package option; their direct competition definitely does...

What is the number for the group at Lexus you spoke with? Another phone call can't hurt.
Old 12-22-10, 06:45 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Acingteam
I also have an '08 IS250 and it does not rev match when you downshift. Like mentioned before rev matching is done prior to downshifting. You can do it manually with a gas pedal, but it's a little tricky.
Huh?
This is not a stick shift. How do u rev match before shifting?
Old 12-22-10, 06:48 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

My car blips. Case closed
Old 12-22-10, 06:53 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When you downshift the car goes into neutral for a split second, the neutral phase is even more evident when you are under hard braking, when you feel the car dropping into neutral you can blip the throttle.
Old 12-22-10, 07:12 AM
RUSSOM
Driver

My experience was only with a '10 IS350. Of course a manual trans 250 can be blipped with your feet, but a 350 is only avail. with an auto., must be done electronically.

Many sporting cars avail. with auto trans these days have rev matched downshifts; it is part of the steady progression which will one day put manual transmissions into obsolesence. Take a look at what Ferrari has been moving towards for years, same with Porsche, BMW, and others. I think we are seeing it on the G37s because of the trickle down effect of the GTR, soooo doesn't the ISF do it? Speaking of the ISF, I believe they just got a Torsen this year. That would also be a GREAT option for the IS350!

Think of a sport optioned IS350 with ISF brakes, ISF Torsen, F-sport springs & sways avail. off the lot. Infiniti successfully charges about $4k for s similar package IIRC. That would basically narrow the gap for Lexus the same way a 335i sport does with relation to a 328 and M3.

And yes I completely realize I opened a can of worms with the manual trans. obsolescence comment.

Quick Reply: Rev match???