Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

nice diy.. will go ahead and install some 2012 tails =) THANKS
Old 11-19-12, 08:21 AM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by scorpionge
nice diy.. will go ahead and install some 2012 tails =) THANKS
You may have read this already, but on certain '06-'08 ISx50s there's a tab that gets in the way of 2011+ tail lights sitting flush with the trunk. If you have this problem, you can remedy it by cutting that tab or bending it backwards to make room.
Old 11-19-12, 07:55 PM
scorpionge
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^I would have hoped that was my problem I need to buy a harness that the dealer said costs me 40$ each side.. for the inner tail light
Old 01-18-13, 03:26 AM
mikha619
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

When you guys say "needs new harness" , what exactly do you mean?
Old 01-18-13, 08:07 AM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Originally Posted by mikha619
When you guys say "needs new harness" , what exactly do you mean?
The harness that connects the tail lights to your car is different - the ends are different. It's like trying to plug an American appliance into a European electrical outlet.
Old 06-08-13, 08:54 PM
bboysunone
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do i need new harness? I have 2006 is250. If i m getting 2012 tail light without harness.
Old 06-11-13, 08:33 AM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Originally Posted by bboysunone
Do i need new harness? I have 2006 is250. If i m getting 2012 tail light without harness.
I'm almost positive that you will need a new harness.
Old 08-22-13, 09:07 AM
bboysunone
Driver

Can anyone confirm that i need to buy new harness. I have 06 is250 tail light n if i m upgrading to 2012 tail light?
Old 08-23-13, 09:58 AM
bboysunone
Driver

Originally Posted by bboysunone
Can anyone confirm that i need to buy new harness. I have 06 is250 tail light n if i m upgrading to 2012 tail light?

Nm. I took out my lights . Its harness has different than newer one. The Plug is larger on the newer one.
Old 09-10-13, 12:58 PM
imaina89
Driver School Candidate

Nice! Definitely coming in handy! Next week I get some IS LED blacked out tails from a CL member selling. Will post when done!
Old 11-30-13, 01:57 PM
slickwil89
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by brociouz
I posted this DIY earlier in a different thread, but keep seeing questions about the IS-F taillight install pop up. So, I figured I'd make a dedicated thread and will cross my fingers that people actually use search to find it henceforth. Anyway, here it goes:

1. You'll need your IS-F tails (obviously), the two harnesses, and a pair of turn signal bulbs (#7440). The tails and harnesses are usually sold together, but double check before you purchase. For the turn signals, I would recommend Stealth Bulbs or LEDs so you don't get the "egg yolk" effect where you see the amber bulbs behind your clear lenses.

2. You'll also need a large flathead screwdriver, a small flathead screwdriver (~2-3mm wide) and a 10mm socket wrench. There's a 10mm wrench in the little tool pack in your trunk that you can use, but it's a LOT easier with a socket.

3. Pop off all those plastic tabs holding the trunk liner in place using a flathead screwdriver. Don't be afraid to damage them, and if you do they're cheap to replace. Just place the flathead firmly into the tab and pop it out using whatever leverage you can.

4. Remove the grocery net hook using the 10mm socket or a Philips head screwdriver. After you remove the screw, just pull the hook out. There was another hook near the top of the trunk liner that I also popped out as shown in the pictures below, but it turns out you can just leave it in there.

5. Peel back the trunk liner so you can access the backside of the outer tail lights. Remember, the IS-F tail lights ONLY replace the outers, no need to touch the inners. Be careful when peeling the liner back so as not to bend it too much and create permanent creases. It's pretty resilient though and because it's carpeted any creases you do create are hardly visible.

6. Twist the bulb assembly and pull it out from the back of the tail light. There's also a tiny connector you'll have to disconnect by pinching and pulling out.

7. Remove the three nuts that hold the outer tail light assembly in place using your 10mm socket. Do NOT let the nuts fall into the abyss.

8. Pop the outer tail light assembly out. I find the easiest way to do this is to push on the 3 rods that the nuts were on to loosen it up and them use your hands to pull the assembly straight out from outside the car. There's a little clip in the corner that still holds it in place, you just have to pull hard enough until it pops free.

9. Swap the OEM harness out with the IS-F tail light one. It's a little hard to reach down to where the connector is - you have to slide a tiny flathead screwdriver in between this little gap to release the connector tab (you'll see what I mean when you get to this point). You don't squeeze but rather pop the tab out using the screwdriver and then pull at the same time. An extra set of hands here doesn't hurt.

10. Pop the new IS-F tail light assembly in.

11. Put your new turn signal bulbs in, twist it into place and reattached that smaller connector.

12. Repeat on the other side, make sure all the bulbs function, and then put everything back together.

##############################################

If you need to remove the inner tail lights (e.g. if you're upgrading your '06-'08 tail lights to 2009+), it's even easier than the outers:

1. Peel the fender liner back.

2. There are two plastic covered bolts on the side, remove them.

3. There are two other bolts on each side behind the fender liner directly behind the inners, remove just the lower of the two.

4. Disconnect the wire harness. You do this in two stages, first by disconnecting the part that attaches the harness wire to the metal part of the trunk by squeezing on the white tab and wiggling it out. Don't make the mistake I did and try squeezing it with tweezers or something and scratching the paint. It's easier with your fingers. The second step is to disconnect the male connector from the female connect by squeezing the tab and pulling.

5. Pop out the inners.

Here are some pictures that might help for the outers:

Starting to pull the liner back after removing all the hook and clips:

All the stuff you remove:

Step #5, pulling the liner back to access the backside of the outer tails:

After popping the assembly out:

Here's the clip (the white thing) I mention in step #8:

Another view:

Finished with one side:

Another angle:

A comparison of the OEM vs. IS-F tails. Notice the different pattern, which is why you need the different harness:

##############################################

I had to recite this all from memory (since I did the install a couple of months ago), but I think that's all there is to it. Just take your time, it's a pretty easy DIY (which is probably why one wasn't made until now). If you're in NorCal and need help with the install, shoot me a PM.
Very helpful! Thanks
Old 12-11-13, 10:35 AM
ShawnD
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did this last night. Changed from 06 to 11 model tail lights. This thread was VERY helpful!
Old 12-19-13, 04:02 PM
Anderson2
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for the great write up.

I need to replace the external push gadget that one pushe on to open the trunk on my GS 350, so your tips about removing the carpet lining will come in very handy. I was wondering if brute force was what was needed to remove the plastic fasteners that hold the lining on. Unscewing did not seem to work. Thank you.

One more question if I may. I need to removed the lining from the trunk lid itself to get to the electronic trunk opener mechanism I need to replace. How does one detach the couple of black "squares" (see image) that also hold the lining on?

Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails DIY: IS-F & 2009+ Tail Light Installation-lexustrunk.gif  

Quick Reply: DIY: IS-F & 2009+ Tail Light Installation