IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS 350 or 250 performance in winter snow.

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-10, 10:24 AM
Underoath
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by H007
Yes, it's a HUGE difference. If you get the Blizzacks or any snow tire that has Silica based tread then the grip and traction/performance increases tremendously.

I agree with the poster above that the tires are the single most important element in winter driving. You will have a completely different car when you put good snow tires on. Even if someone reading this has the AWD snow tires are still a must.

Cheers.
Not even close to being a must. Snows will outperform the allseasons but I have barely lost traction at all this winter here in Chicago and we've hit some nice inclement weather. I was a little apprehensive about taking delivery of the IS when I started reading these statements but was COMPLETELY relieved the second I had the chance to drive on some serious snow. The IS is 200% easier to navigate than the GTO on snow tires was.

Bottom line is, you will be fine on allseasons (AWD) but you cannot drive like a moron.
Old 12-17-10, 12:12 PM
jay-b
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1st days of snow here in va/dc/md...up and down hills are a biach...almost got stuck going up one, just as bad as my old is300.
Old 12-18-10, 09:02 PM
09lexus250
Rookie

i say awd you may be able to get around with dedicated snow tires on a rwd bt awd in deep snow and you wont get stuck 2ft of snow and kept going.( and subaru's were stuck. this pic is from driving in the deep snow
Attached Thumbnails IS 350 or 250 performance in winter snow.-2010-12-11-12.39.51.jpg  
Old 12-18-10, 10:30 PM
H007
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Underoath
Not even close to being a must. Snows will outperform the allseasons but I have barely lost traction at all this winter here in Chicago and we've hit some nice inclement weather. I was a little apprehensive about taking delivery of the IS when I started reading these statements but was COMPLETELY relieved the second I had the chance to drive on some serious snow. The IS is 200% easier to navigate than the GTO on snow tires was.

Bottom line is, you will be fine on allseasons (AWD) but you cannot drive like a moron.
Well I beg to differ. My friend totaled his almost new Audi A4 AWD with all seasons and he wasn't driving like a moron either. He took a turn on the ramp under the speed limit and the car totally lost control (black ice) and hit the concrete guard rail. The problem...traction or lack thereof. For traction control on a car to work there must first be some traction and you're not going to get it with AWD and all seasons. Snow tires have by far superior traction and it is in those situations when your belief in AWD and a mild turn that can catch you off guard. It doesn't take much to lose control and end up in a ditch, hitting a guard rail or worse on coming traffic.

Cheers.
Old 12-18-10, 10:32 PM
H007
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jay-b
1st days of snow here in va/dc/md...up and down hills are a biach...almost got stuck going up one, just as bad as my old is300.
What are you driving and is it with or without snow tires?
Old 12-18-10, 10:51 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 09lexus250
i say awd you may be able to get around with dedicated snow tires on a rwd bt awd in deep snow and you wont get stuck 2ft of snow and kept going.( and subaru's were stuck. this pic is from driving in the deep snow
Uh... what?

You insist you need AWD to not get stuck, then mention Subarus, which are AWD, were stuck...

Just to reiterate my earlier point though.... somehow people got around just fine with RWD and snow tires for a good century or so before AWD was at all common...and usually in RWD cars without the benefit of nifty "snow" modes and other modern electronic helpers...
Old 12-18-10, 11:48 PM
Underoath
Driver School Candidate

Well I beg to differ. My friend totaled his almost new Audi A4 AWD with all seasons and he wasn't driving like a moron either. He took a turn on the ramp under the speed limit and the car totally lost control (black ice) and hit the concrete guard rail. The problem...traction or lack thereof. For traction control on a car to work there must first be some traction and you're not going to get it with AWD and all seasons. Snow tires have by far superior traction and it is in those situations when your belief in AWD and a mild turn that can catch you off guard. It doesn't take much to lose control and end up in a ditch, hitting a guard rail or worse on coming traffic.

Cheers.
Agree to disagree. Black ice on an onramp with ordinary (no chains/studs) winter tires would still spell disaster for an awd vehicle as well. Even snow tires fail when black ice is present.

On another note, "under the speedlimit" has no relevance as it was still evidently too fast for conditions. I would also take your friends story with a grain of salt. What insurance company would TOTAL an almost new Audi that slid on black ice into a guardrail while driving at a cautious rate during inclement weather? Sounds like there was more to the equation than just tires/ice.

Last edited by Underoath; 12-18-10 at 11:57 PM.
Old 12-18-10, 11:58 PM
Focker
Driver School Candidate

I've got an 07 350 with new LM-25 snows. This car is easily the worst car I have ever driven in the snow. Even in snow mode, you have to keep turning off the VSC just to get going as at slower speeds (getting out of our townhouse complex) the car would stop on a slight incline.

This car is worse than my old dodge volare that had a 360 V8.

I live in Vancouver. In dry crispy snow, its ok, any wet snow/slush it sucks.
Old 12-19-10, 01:19 AM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the problem is you got performance winter tires. not snow tires.

Developed as high-speed winter tires for European driving conditions, these tires typically trade some deep snow and ice traction for enhanced dry and wet road traction, handling and high-speed capability.

my snow tires don't handle as well, but they performed pretty well in our last snowfall. i drove side streets, big streets and highways on that day, just fine.

powder, slush, packed snow.
Old 12-19-10, 10:29 PM
H007
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Underoath
Agree to disagree. Black ice on an onramp with ordinary (no chains/studs) winter tires would still spell disaster for an awd vehicle as well. Even snow tires fail when black ice is present.

On another note, "under the speedlimit" has no relevance as it was still evidently too fast for conditions. I would also take your friends story with a grain of salt. What insurance company would TOTAL an almost new Audi that slid on black ice into a guardrail while driving at a cautious rate during inclement weather? Sounds like there was more to the equation than just tires/ice.
There is no such thing as a perfect tire, but the obvious facts are snow tires fail much less than all season tires in the snow, that is the whole point of getting them.

The reason the car got totaled is because it went engine first into a concrete guardrail then bounced across into another guardrail a few times down the ramp. It didn't take much speed to cause much damage.

He got snow tires with his new Audi. The bottom line is for maximum safety get the snow tires.

Cheers.
Old 12-19-10, 10:33 PM
H007
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Focker
I've got an 07 350 with new LM-25 snows. This car is easily the worst car I have ever driven in the snow. Even in snow mode, you have to keep turning off the VSC just to get going as at slower speeds (getting out of our townhouse complex) the car would stop on a slight incline.

This car is worse than my old dodge volare that had a 360 V8.

I live in Vancouver. In dry crispy snow, its ok, any wet snow/slush it sucks.
Yes, this is what I've read and what troubles me. More than likely it is because the 07 350 does not have true LSD (Limited Slip Differential) which makes an enormous difference but at least you have the option of getting an aftermarket one installed.

Would make the world of difference and very little issues with slight inclines afterwards.

Cheers.
Old 12-19-10, 11:16 PM
Underoath
Driver School Candidate

There is no such thing as a perfect tire, but the obvious facts are snow tires fail much less than all season tires in the snow, that is the whole point of getting them.

The reason the car got totaled is because it went engine first into a concrete guardrail then bounced across into another guardrail a few times down the ramp. It didn't take much speed to cause much damage.

He got snow tires with his new Audi. The bottom line is for maximum safety get the snow tires.

Cheers.
I don't argue against your statements in the slightest except that snows are a MUST on an awd vehicle. Thats all - Ok...next topic
Old 12-20-10, 11:14 PM
KI_GSE21
Lead Lap

I am not an experienced driver in taking a RWD car in snowing conditions.
I would not take the risk as I hear from alot of people that a RWD car is quite unpredictable in the snow, unless you have really mastered the skills and know the car really well and how it reacts in slippery conditions.

I would just take a FWD car for peace of mind if financially feasible. Either a family member's car or even an inexpensive beater will do. Just my 2 cents =)
Old 05-23-12, 11:38 AM
CANDYAPPLE
Driver

well its like 2 yrs later and i didnt even have a chance to test out my awd car, not even a ounce of snow. that was the main reason i brought it, it was like 70 degress all winter in ny,lol.
Old 05-23-12, 07:06 PM
anthrax144
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CANDYAPPLE
well its like 2 yrs later and i didnt even have a chance to test out my awd car, not even a ounce of snow. that was the main reason i brought it, it was like 70 degress all winter in ny,lol.
Which is also the reason AWD is pretty useless most anywhere except northern states or north of the border. So for two years you've been getting crappy (crappier...) gas mileage. Get RWD and buy a dedicated set of snow tires for the winter. They'll pay for themselves in improved gas mileage and reduced wear and tear on your summer tires.

Quick Reply: IS 350 or 250 performance in winter snow.