IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Anyones dash rattling and popping really loud???

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-12, 10:59 PM
stanjohn12
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sangomaru
Yes, have the dealer remove the bezel and re-insulate. The problem comes from the bezel and appears to loosen over time. You may have one side of your bezel with a small gap between the dash and bezel, while the other side is completely flush. I had this fixed at the dealership today, so far no more noise. Although, a road test will be needed for them to determine.
Yes thanks Sangomaru. Will tell them to do this. I can't afford to go every week to the dealership for this issue. They keep my car there like for 2-3 days and I can't live without my baby even for one day .
Old 01-20-12, 09:43 AM
rog1206
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by stanjohn12
Yes thanks Sangomaru. Will tell them to do this. I can't afford to go every week to the dealership for this issue. They keep my car there like for 2-3 days and I can't live without my baby even for one day .
Try doing the fix in post 92 & 93. My rattle has been gone for months and I forgot about it until I saw this thread again.
Old 01-20-12, 10:18 AM
stanjohn12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rog1206
Try doing the fix in post 92 & 93. My rattle has been gone for months and I forgot about it until I saw this thread again.
I'm still under warranty and someone here advised me that it's better to get it fixed under warranty even if it's a hazzle taking it to the dealer a few times more.
Old 01-23-12, 08:55 AM
stanjohn12
Lead Lap

Just to keep you all updated. Just got my car back today. I instructed the service advisor to put foam/extra padding where ever necessary and that I can't keep coming every week for them to keep tightening the screws. He assured me that this time they had removed the dash and put in extra foam in places where there were gaps.
It's super silent inside now and I just hope last week was the last time I heard those annoying noises. Fingers crossed.

Last edited by stanjohn12; 01-23-12 at 09:00 AM. Reason: grammatical mistake
Old 01-24-12, 12:00 PM
BamaIS
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2006 was popping when it was cold from the area on top of the dash between the windshield and the dash. I cut up an old T-shirt and rolled up a couple of small pieces of cloth (cut to 3"x 10" strips). Then I took a long screwdriver and pushed these pieces of cloth down between the windshield and the dash (to the right of the defrost vent on the passenger side and to the left of the defrost vent on the drivers side). I pushed them far enough so they can't be seen. My dash is now silent, even in the coldest weather. I had a new windshield installed last week and the service tech took them out. The pop was back. Did the cloth trick again and it went away. It's a cheap fix if your car is out of warranty like mine. Foam or something similar would work as well.
Old 01-30-12, 07:29 AM
stanjohn12
Lead Lap

Smile

Originally Posted by BamaIS
My 2006 was popping when it was cold from the area on top of the dash between the windshield and the dash. I cut up an old T-shirt and rolled up a couple of small pieces of cloth (cut to 3"x 10" strips). Then I took a long screwdriver and pushed these pieces of cloth down between the windshield and the dash (to the right of the defrost vent on the passenger side and to the left of the defrost vent on the drivers side). I pushed them far enough so they can't be seen. My dash is now silent, even in the coldest weather. I had a new windshield installed last week and the service tech took them out. The pop was back. Did the cloth trick again and it went away. It's a cheap fix if your car is out of warranty like mine. Foam or something similar would work as well.
Thanks BamaIS , will keep this trick in mind if it happens to my car in future :-)
Old 10-12-12, 03:41 AM
stanjohn12
Lead Lap

Unhappy

Oh man , the noise around my instrument cluster is gone but now there is a slight noise coming from my NAV unit when going over rough grainy roads. The noise goes if i exert some force over the top of the unit downwards.

Bad part is my warranty got over last month

Mine is the 2010 IS , anyone else have this problem ?
Old 10-21-12, 03:54 PM
Gymniac
Lexus Test Driver

On a not-so-perfect road, I hear some awful rattle from the passenger side. I want to say it's coming from the "drawer" on that side and it's really awful. But on a smooth road nothing.

Anyone with same problem?
Old 10-23-12, 10:27 AM
stanjohn12
Lead Lap

Smile

Originally Posted by Gymniac
On a not-so-perfect road, I hear some awful rattle from the passenger side. I want to say it's coming from the "drawer" on that side and it's really awful. But on a smooth road nothing.

Anyone with same problem?
Maybe you haven't fixed the tray properly after changing your A/C filter. Make sure its fixed properly.
Old 12-06-12, 12:47 PM
bblaisdell
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BamaIS
Great idea, I'll be trying it shortly. My 2007 IS250 has been rattling since purchased a year ago. This web-site is great for ideas!!
Old 09-29-16, 11:37 PM
mreddy
Driver School Candidate

Default Thank you!!!!

You sir are the Man. I had been really suffering. Your fix cured the rattle completely in all of 5 minutes. It had become a miserable driving experience until I found your post. I made sure to place 3 layers of tape all around the 90 degree edge of the lower panel where it makes contact with the black bezel. I noticed a bit of a molding imperfection on the lower part where a bit of plastic was sticking out, which I suspect was making contact with the bezel and causing the noise.

All this time I had been trying to make the noise go away by crudely wedging folded paper between the plastic gauge cover and the bezel to no avail.

Originally Posted by rog1206
Here's the part I was talking about:

This is how you remove the side piece so that the lower trim can be removed. Using your fingers is good enough:

Pulled out

Now just pull the lower trim outward and it should pop right out. I put the electrical tape on the edge where it touches the upper trim

Hope this helps!
Old 10-02-16, 01:04 PM
mattmatt57
Driver School Candidate

Wonder how many people have gotten there extended warranty on dash done.